[net.micro.amiga] Q on V1.2 Distribution Policy

jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) (06/15/86)

< When the shark bytes... >

  What is the policy concerning distributing AmigaDOS V1.2?  I asked for a
copy at my local dealer a few weeks ago and they said they were
instructed not to give it out.  OK I thought, I probably have to wait 'till
they are more widely available -- shipped out to the developers.  Well,
they're out there  but the shop still refuses to give me a copy.  They
say I have to wait 'till August (!) when it will be "officially"
available.  Is this Commodore-Amiga policy?  Do I have to bribe my (for
now) dealer?  Try another?  Or wait till August(!)?

Thanks,

	joe piazza

BTW:	Anyone have problems with Online!'s vt-100 emulation and opening
	new lines in vi?  Fixes?

--- Cogito cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260 (716) 636-3191, 3180

UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@buffalo-cs
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (06/18/86)

In article <89@sunybcs.UUCP> jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
>< When the shark bytes... >
>
>  What is the policy concerning distributing AmigaDOS V1.2?  I asked for a
>copy at my local dealer a few weeks ago and they said they were
>instructed not to give it out.

D*mn straight.  The current software is by no means meant for personal
consumption.  We are getting enough grief because our so-called
Beta release is buggier than a "traditional" Beta; we don't need to
alienate the consumers with software under construction.

>OK I thought, I probably have to wait 'till
>they are more widely available -- shipped out to the developers.  Well,
>they're out there  but the shop still refuses to give me a copy.  They
>say I have to wait 'till August (!) when it will be "officially"
>available.  Is this Commodore-Amiga policy?  Do I have to bribe my (for
>now) dealer?  Try another?  Or wait till August(!)?

Wait until ... August(?).  One factor we are sensitive to is that forth-
coming software and (especially) hardware products from third parties
require 1.2.  In the meantime (...) the only real benefit of 1.2 is
that it is more bitchin'.  Seriously, if you want in on pre-releases
you should try to become a certified developer.