[net.micro.amiga] A Proposal on User Interface for Gadget Editor

crunch@well.UUCP (John Draper) (06/18/86)

A PROPOSED DESIGN APPROACH FOR ADDING INTUITEXT TO GADGETS

   The next "feature" to be added to the Gadget Editor is to allow
a natural way of adding "Text" to the Gadget as IntuiText objects.

   Currently,  the Right mouse button is used to start "Drawing" the
gadgets on a Working window.    User moves mouse to the location where
the Upper Left corner of the gadget is to be,   Presses the Right mouse
button,  then "Drags out" a rectangle of the desired size.     This becomes
the "Border" for the Gadget unless it's a Proportional Gadget.   When
the pointer is in the menu area,  the menu's work normally.

   Adding Intuitext and Eventually Images will require slight changes to
the user interface.   My proposed way of doing this is to bring up a
requestor where the text is entered in a "string" gadget,   then when
the OK button is pressed,  the requestor goes away, and the Intuitext
is then "Stuck" where the mouse pointer "was".    User can then place the
text in the proper spot, and press one of the mouse buttons.    The
Intuitext gets added to the current gadget and a "RefreshGadgets" is
called to actually render the text as it is shown.

   I would like to open it up for discussion on this,  and get some
feedback from anyone wanting to comment on it.    Implementing it this
way would be easy (Thus making this important feature available much
sooner).    Only ONE module need be changed.    For those in the Bay
Area,   I will be at the BADGE meeting,  so we can discuss it there.

  This will also be the primary discussion at the Meeting this Sunday.
See previous posting.

John Draper - Programmers Network
UUCP - ...ihnp4!ptsfa!well!crunch
BIX: crunch
DELPHI: CRUNCH
WELL: crunch
CIS: 73557,1176

nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) (06/18/86)

In article <1298@well.UUCP> crunch@well.UUCP (John Draper) writes:

>A PROPOSED DESIGN APPROACH FOR ADDING INTUITEXT TO GADGETS
I don't mean to cut down your gadget editor project, just to put
some perspective into what you are doing.

The fact is that the most time consuming part of creating gadgets
(fancy ones that is) is the image portion.  The rest is just one
shot-stuff, ie. filling in the appropriate fields.  I have some
pretty complex gadgets and the only thing I've used is a pixel
editor that I wrote.  Filling in the approriate fields doesn't
seem to be a hassle, about a minute per gadget if you've planned
everything out correctly.

Nick