[net.micro.amiga] A wierd thought...

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (06/03/86)

Here is a question, for the sake of discussion:  What if Tandy had bought
Amiga instead of CBM (or if Tandy and CBM got together)?

My $.02:
1) CBM has never marketted a product of the Amiga's caliber in the US.
2) Tandy has good advertising, good relationship with the public, and
.  already markets several products that are used in the same market that
.  the Amiga PC seems to fit into.
3) Tandy has thousands of support and sales centers all over the place.
4) We'd get to see Bill Bixby doing an Amiga commercial :)

marc@osu-cgrg.UUCP (Marc Howard) (06/05/86)

> Here is a question, for the sake of discussion:  What if Tandy had bought
> Amiga instead of CBM (or if Tandy and CBM got together)?
>
> My $.02:
> 1) CBM has never marketted a product of the Amiga's caliber in the US.
> 2) Tandy has good advertising, good relationship with the public, and
> .  already markets several products that are used in the same market that
> .  the Amiga PC seems to fit into.
> 3) Tandy has thousands of support and sales centers all over the place.
If Tandy is soooo good at making computers then why is it when I go into
ANY Radial Slack store and buy something the clerk writes up my receipt
using a "BICwriter" and a pad w/carbon paper copies????  Don't they trust
their own machines and/or personnel????
> 4) We'd get to see Bill Bixby doing an Amiga commercial :)
Frankly, I'd hold out for Ray Walston...the poor fellow hasn't had steady
work since "My Favorite Martian" went off the air. -:)

tim@ism780c.UUCP (06/05/86)

In article <527@3comvax.UUCP> mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>Here is a question, for the sake of discussion:  What if Tandy had bought
>Amiga instead of CBM (or if Tandy and CBM got together)?

a) It would not be called an Amiga.  It would be TRS-something.

b) It would cost twice as much.

c) When you bought one, you would get a card for a free battery
   every month. :-)
--
Tim Smith               sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim

rodney@gitpyr.UUCP (RODNEY RICKS) (06/06/86)

In article <527@3comvax.UUCP>, mykes@3comvax.UUCP writes:
> Here is a question, for the sake of discussion:  What if Tandy had bought

Here is something even more weird.  Tandy almost sold Commodore PET's instead
of making their own TRS-80's, but they wanted exclusive rights to the
machines, and Commodore wouldn't give it to them (or at least that's what
I have read).  Does anyone care to very this?? (Does anyone care about this??)

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (06/06/86)

In article <2482@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>In article <527@3comvax.UUCP> mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>>Here is a question, for the sake of discussion:  What if Tandy had bought
>>Amiga instead of CBM (or if Tandy and CBM got together)?
>>

>a) It would not be called an Amiga.  It would be TRS-something.

would you believe the Tandy Amiga 1000?  They would probably keep the Amiga
name for recognition.

>b) It would cost twice as much.

Why?  Doesn't Tandy sell a PC clone for < $1000?

>c) When you bought one, you would get a card for a free battery
>   every month. :-)
>--

How many batteries does it take to power an Amiga?  :)

>Tim Smith               sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim

Seriously, there have got to be 4 to 5 times the number of Radio Shlocks to
current Amiga dealers, plus respectable (no comment:) dealers who are used
to demonstrating sophistocated hardware.  There are Radio Shacks that serve
towns like Livermore California and Podunk Iowa - towns that I find hard to
believe that have Amiga dealers.  I'd like to see Jack Tramiel run Tandy out
of business too (the way I see it, he left CBM in the mess it's in now, plus
he turned Atari into a $75Million company when 2 years earlier it was a
$2 Billion company with the C64 burying the Atari 800).  Atari would have to
start selling things like Armatron (a robot arm toy), stereos, TVs, and all
the rest of the electronic stuff that Tandy sells.  One last point: would the
Amiga be any less of a machine if it had the Tandy label instead of the CBM
label?  (I'd bet that a lot of business-types would actually think it was
a better one).

-------------------------------------

ekim<--------------------------------

drew@orsvax1.UUCP (Drew Lucy) (06/06/86)

> If Tandy is soooo good at making computers then why is it when I go into
> ANY Radial Slack store and buy something the clerk writes up my receipt
> using a "BICwriter" and a pad w/carbon paper copies????  Don't they trust
> their own machines and/or personnel????

They use a "BICwriter" because it's faster. I hate waiting for the 8 1/2" by
11" receipt produced by  computer/cash registers. Also, you can save alot of
time at Radio Shack by declining to give them your address.

> Frankly, I'd hold out for Ray Walston...the poor fellow hasn't had steady
> work since "My Favorite Martian" went off the air. -:)

Mr. Walston spent the last TV season ( as in deer season?) on "Fast Times at
Ridgemont High". Of course, this doesn't contradict the above statement. 8-}

						Drew Lucy

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (06/07/86)

In article <672@osu-cgrg.UUCP> marc@osu-cgrg.UUCP (Marc Howard) writes:
>If Tandy is soooo good at making computers then why is it when I go into
>ANY Radial Slack store and buy something the clerk writes up my receipt
>using a "BICwriter" and a pad w/carbon paper copies????  Don't they trust
>their own machines and/or personnel????

I prefer places that use paper and pen.  When I buy something from a place
that uses paper and pen, the salesperson writes down the part numbers of
the things I want, the prices, and I give them the money and leave.
Obnoxious places ( e.g., Radio Shack ) want my name and address.

The places I have seen that use computers take much longer.  I
walk up to the cashier, who keys in the part number ( if they can
get the computer to work ), and if they make a mistake, they
usually have to start over.  They usually want my name, address,
and phone number.  They take my money.  They then have to go and
fiddle with the form in the printer so that it comes out right.
Pause ten or fifteen seconds while their computer figures out
what is going on.  Then the form is printed, and I can leave.
At least, this is how it works at the two computer stores and
one stereo store that I no longer shop at!
--
Tim Smith               sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim

eric@chronon.UUCP (Eric Black) (06/09/86)

In article <531@3comvax.UUCP> mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>>In article <527@3comvax.UUCP> mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>>>Here is a question, for the sake of discussion:  What if Tandy had bought
>>>Amiga instead of CBM (or if Tandy and CBM got together)?
>
> [... lots of RS dealers, Tramiel's track record...]
>
>One last point: would the
>Amiga be any less of a machine if it had the Tandy label instead of the CBM
>label?  (I'd bet that a lot of business-types would actually think it was
>a better one).

Maybe in the US, but in Europe (as others have pointed out before), CBM
is a big name in the business PC market, particularly with their
PC-clone, and the Amiga is taking off quite well, partially (no doubt)
due to the good name CBM has in the business community.

Too bad the marketing types in this country can't make up their
mind (?) about where to target their efforts.  They so far have made
half-hearted attempts to attract the home, game, and business markets,
but not followed through well on any of them.

My opinion is that the Amiga will NOT succeed without widespread availability
of powerful and meaningful software that businesses need and use.  We
should at least be able to get many of the same software titles that
people recognize and purchase for their PC's.  So far things are just
trickling out...  If the Amiga (and CBM mfg/distribution/support) can
survive a year (six months? pick a number), we should reach critical mass
and really take off.  The IBM-PC had an unfair advantage at its debut --
it's parentage (regardless of its actual merit).

We don't have a whole lot of time, especially in view of the recent
layoffs.  It seems to be up to the third-party developers now to
give the public powerful, useful, irresistable programs that they
*MUST HAVE*, and (how about that) require the Amiga hardware to be
fully effective.  Isn't that the correct way to do things: find
software that suits your needs, then buy the hardware to run it.  The
real marketing/sales job then is to make the software so attractive
that people can't live without it.  The machines will sell naturally.

--
Eric Black   "Garbage In, Gospel Out"
UUCP:        {sun,pyramid,hplabs,amdcad}!chronon!eric

haddock@ti-csl (06/10/86)

Wow!  If Tandy had bought Amiga then we'd have the first T&A
computer, right???  (If you don't understand this then you're
probably too young. :-)

	>Why does Radio Shack use BICWriters?

How many sale people have you seen that can type half-way decently?
Then again, it's mostly numbers that they'd need to type.  Also,
you'd have to have 2 or 3 machines per store (for convience) and
most stores are already over crowded with mechandise(?).

				-Rusty-

*hardcopy*		*electr{onic, ic}*
Rusty Haddock		ARPA:  Haddock%TI-CSL@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
POB 226015 M/S 238	CSNET: Haddock@TI-CSL
Texas Instruments Inc.	USENET: {ut-sally,convex!smu,texsun}!ti-csl!haddock
Dallas, Texas 75266	VOICE: (214) 995-0330

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (06/10/86)

> Here is a question, for the sake of discussion:  What if Tandy had bought
> Amiga instead of CBM (or if Tandy and CBM got together)?
>
> My $.02:
> 1) CBM has never marketted a product of the Amiga's caliber in the US.
> 2) Tandy has good advertising, good relationship with the public, and
> .  already markets several products that are used in the same market that
> .  the Amiga PC seems to fit into.
> 3) Tandy has thousands of support and sales centers all over the place.
> 4) We'd get to see Bill Bixby doing an Amiga commercial :)

Who is Bill Bixby?  Does RShack advertise on TV?

If Radio Shack had the Amiga---

It would have come out with OS9.  Tandy pioneered this OS
on the Color Computer, thus keeping the Coco alive for
several more years (it's still going strong).
(As it is, OS9 for Amiga is about to come out.
It already has for the ST, which needs it more).

There would be less speculation about how much longer the
Amiga will last.  Tandy has deep pockets and could keep it
around and support it well enough till it caught on.

Unforch, RS has announced that their only interest is in
chasing Icky BLue Mush.

mike k

Tandy is a euphemism of Radio Shackedup, Inc.

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (06/10/86)

>   I'd like to see Jack Tramiel run Tandy out
> of business too (the way I see it, he left CBM in the mess it's in now, plus
> he turned Atari into a $75Million company when 2 years earlier it was a
> $2 Billion company with the C64 burying the Atari 800).  Atari would have to
> start selling things like Armatron (a robot arm toy), stereos, TVs, and all
> the rest of the electronic stuff that Tandy sells.
> ekim<--------------------------------

Hold it!  According to your history of Jack T, which is probably
close to the truth, the only way he could "run Tandy out of business"
would be to take it over and become Tandy's CEO.  Fat chance (whew!).
Now, if we could just get him installed at IBM ... mike k

kim@mips.UUCP (06/11/86)

> My opinion is that the Amiga will NOT succeed without widespread availability
> of powerful and meaningful software that businesses need and use.  We
> should at least be able to get many of the same software titles that
> people recognize and purchase for their PC's.  So far things are just
> trickling out...
> --
> Eric Black   "Garbage In, Gospel Out"

Very true!  What is really bothering me about this, is that I continue to
hear (from completely disparate sources) that several major s/w houses have
products that have been ported to run on the Amiga "sitting on the shelf".
Supposedly, before these products will be released, CBM has to have sold
some "magic number" of Amigas ... this is to insure that there is a large
enough (potential) install-base to cover the cost of product support.  The
number most frequently heard is 100,000 units (Amigas).

It is *rumored* that this is the case with 1-2-3, dBase II/III, and
TurboPascal.  Can anyone on the net confirm/deny these rumors ... I know
that Lotus is on the net, so perhaps they would care to comment.

And lesee, I recall Borland promising to support the Amiga in the 1st
issue of AmigaWorld, etc.  Haven't seen anything further from them since
then ... looks like they are catering only to PC-DOS machines, since
their latest offering (TurboPROLOG) won't even run on a generic MS-DOS
machine ... ridiculous for a *compiler*!

/kim
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   408-720-1700 x231

rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (06/11/86)

In article <672@osu-cgrg.UUCP> marc@osu-cgrg.UUCP (Marc Howard) writes:
>> Here is a question, for the sake of discussion:  What if Tandy had bought
>> Amiga instead of CBM (or if Tandy and CBM got together)?
>>
>> My $.02:
>> 1) CBM has never marketted a product of the Amiga's caliber in the US.
>> 2) Tandy has good advertising, good relationship with the public, and
>> .  already markets several products that are used in the same market that
>> .  the Amiga PC seems to fit into.
>> 3) Tandy has thousands of support and sales centers all over the place.
>If Tandy is soooo good at making computers then why is it when I go into
>ANY Radial Slack store and buy something the clerk writes up my receipt
>using a "BICwriter" and a pad w/carbon paper copies????  Don't they trust
>their own machines and/or personnel????

As an ex RS employee, I can answer this one.  No, they do not
trust their personnel.  At night, they do enter the transactions
from the "carbon" into a Model IV.  This information is used to
assist in ordering, stocking, and auditing, but the carbons are
a "check" against theft.  Employees are also polygraphed before
being hired, and audited daily.  A lost "pink copy" can cost you
your job.

By the way, Tandy's marketing organization IS very good, but their
engineering is always "last year's product at next years price".
Just compare audio equipment, Video equipment, or any of their
other products, to competitors products.  Expect Tandy to come
out with an "Amiga Class" or "ST class" computer sometime around
the end of 1987.

To be fair, Tandy is a good company.  Their stores are company
owned, not franchises, which means managers and sales clerks
have less to lose than the company.  They are also much more
concerned with reliability than price/performance.  If machines
go bad, Tandy stands to lose more than the Full Retail Price.

doc@pucc-j (Craig Norborg) (06/12/86)

In article <503@mips.UUCP> kim@mips.UUCP writes:
>Very true!  What is really bothering me about this, is that I continue to
>hear (from completely disparate sources) that several major s/w houses have
>products that have been ported to run on the Amiga "sitting on the shelf".
>Supposedly, before these products will be released, CBM has to have sold
>some "magic number" of Amigas ... this is to insure that there is a large
>enough (potential) install-base to cover the cost of product support.  The
>number most frequently heard is 100,000 units (Amigas).

    BTW Commodore...  Is there any official releases on the number of Amigas
sold to date?  I know alot of people are wondering...

pariseau@well.UUCP (Robert S. Pariseau) (06/13/86)

Kim--
  On the other hand, those folks who have brought out Amiga products are
doing VERY well with them.  (If you want to see a pleased person, take a
look at Bill Volk of Aegis!)

Naturally, some of this is due to the products being plain good.  But much
of it is due to the lack of competition!  The Amiga is going to make some
small companies into big companies, believe me!

The amazing thing to me is just how much third party support already
exists for the Amiga, Commodore's efforts notwithstanding.

kim@mips.UUCP (06/15/86)

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

> Kim--
>   On the other hand, those folks who have brought out Amiga products are
> doing VERY well with them.  (If you want to see a pleased person, take a
> look at Bill Volk of Aegis!)
>
> Naturally, some of this is due to the products being plain good.  But much
> of it is due to the lack of competition!  The Amiga is going to make some
> small companies into big companies, believe me!
>
> The amazing thing to me is just how much third party support already
> exists for the Amiga, Commodore's efforts notwithstanding.

Right you are, Bob!  And many of the applications are far superior to
anything that will ever run on a PC.

On the other hand, in order to do moderately well in the *traditional*
(read conservative, with a considerable investment in existing s/w)
business market, recognized names and products such as Lotus, Ashton-Tate,
etc. would be a big plus ... along with an *intelligent* advertising
campaign on CBM's part (which has been truly abysmal, to date).

In any case, it may well be a moot point ... *if* CBM can get the
Sidecar out the door in a reasonable amount of time, at a reasonable
price, with the capabilities and expandability that was reported at COMDEX,
and *most importantly* with high RELIABILITY and ROBUSTNESS ...

Good to see you and RJ back on the net ... hope you will continue to make
it to the BADGE meetings, also (next one is the 19th).

/kim
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   408-720-1700 x231
USPS:  MIPS Computer Systems Inc,  930 E. Arques Av,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086
CIS:   76535,25

mitsu@well.UUCP (06/17/86)

onon.chronon.UUCP>

In re: selling the Amiga to business users . . .

	It is a myth that the only people who use computers or
buy them are business users.  In fact there are *many* more people
in the home and in the schools who buy and use microcomputers; the
numbers far exceed that of the business market.  The problem is that
the machines for the home market that sell well (the C-64/128) are
*very* low in price; nonetheless, it is not self-evident that you
must cater to business to make a sucessful machine; there are artists,
musicians, families, children, professionals, students, academics,
playful people, as well as businesspeople.  If the machine is useful
enough or improves their life enough, they will buy it, and it need
not do 500x1000 spreadsheets nor need it be as fast as a VAX (although
the Amiga can do and be both.)  Out here in the Bay Area the Amiga is
selling like wildfire and every day there are crowds around the machine,
eager faces wanting to do more with a computer than plot pie charts.
The Amiga is the first computer that can even begin to address
the potential of the personal computer; before this machine, to
speak of personal computers was to speak of word processing,
spreadsheets, and data bases.  "Who needs multitasking?"  "Who needs
4096 colors?" "Who needs windows, who needs 8 megabytes of memory,
who needs fast graphics . . . " Try "Who needs more than 64K?  Who
needs something better than WordStar?"  "Who needs anything more than
Visicalc?"  You can never have too much memory or speed; you can
spend too much, however, and we all hope the price point of the
Amiga comes down soon.
	The Amiga redefines what a personal computer can do;
let's not hold it down to the limitations of the past.
			-Mitsu (mitsu@well.UUCP so-to-be @harvard)
P.S. The Amiga with the CSA 68020 at 14 Mhz matches a VAX 11/785,
and with VIP Professional and a couple meg of RAM will do a 500x1000
spreadsheet for those who are interested.  Combine the two above,
and you have a computing engine that will blow away an AT without
blinking an eye.
	(Use the 68881, and it will blow away an 11/785.)

	A 68020 Amiga running at 14Mhz does indeed blow away a 785... but only
in terms of processor speed.  The 785 still has:

	-virtual memory (doesn't crash when your program is screwed)
	-a bus bandwidth at least an order of magnitude faster,
	-a PDP11-something co-processor to handle all the low speed
		serial
	-most of the other hardware is intelligent and doesn't need the
		CPU watching over it (for instance, the disk controllers).

	But then again, the cost difference and power requirements are
such that I would probably go with the amiga.

						-Matt

mwm@ucbopal.berkeley.edu (Mike Meyer) (06/19/86)

In article <8606171712.AA03947@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	A 68020 Amiga running at 14Mhz does indeed blow away a 785... but only
>in terms of processor speed.  The 785 still has:
>
>	-virtual memory (doesn't crash when your program is screwed)
>	-a bus bandwidth at least an order of magnitude faster,
>	-a PDP11-something co-processor to handle all the low speed
>		serial
>	-most of the other hardware is intelligent and doesn't need the
>		CPU watching over it (for instance, the disk controllers).
>

>	But then again, the cost difference and power requirements are
>such that I would probably go with the amiga.
>
>						-Matt

But Matt, where are you going to buy 48 or so serial ports to hang
users off the Amiga :-).

Lesson one in buying a computer: CPU does not a computer make. Go
see net.arch for comments about the AT&T 7300 vs. the VAX 780.

	<mike

mitsu@well.UUCP (06/21/86)

	In re: VAX vs. SuperAmiga . . .
	First of all, the 68020 CAN support virtual addressing if the
proper support hardware is available.  But the real point is that
the Amiga is a microcomputer and as such is designed for one user and
one user only.  This is the beauty of the microcomputer concept; one
user, one computer.  Having the raw processor power of a VAX for one
user at a relatively reasonable price is quite a real comparison; a
single user doesn't need 48 serial ports, but s/he might like a
150 megabyte disk drive, four or so megabytes of RAM, and MacSyma
or Home SMP at her/his disposal, plus telecommunications, graphics,
etc. . . The applications for so much power at so small and compact
a scale are yet to be imagined but certainly not beyond the human
imagination to conceive.  There is a real, tangible comparison possible
for the VAX timesharer vs. the SuperAmiga; having the computer on
the desk can really increase productivity if used intelligently.
With a single user you don't have to worry about such things as
system crashes so much; rebooting an Amiga, even a SuperAmiga (Ranger
or A2000) takes only seconds.  "Task helds" can be sent to the back until
you've cleaned up your work, at which point you can reboot; of course,
properly written software should not crash at all, so this is a problem
that should be common only to the developer.  Running data analysis on
a Ranger-class microcomputer can be significantly faster than on a
timeshared VAX; plus the data can be incorporated into a word processor
and printed on the spot, perhaps with a page layout program, etc., etc.;
All of this is very possible and doable now or in the near future
on an Amiga; the new hardware boxes from Byte by Byte and CSA, to
mention two, are very fast (the CSA box is rumored to allow drives
with approx 18 us seek time), and, again, for a single user this is
tremendous performance.  The real comparison is: how much good work
can be done by a human being on a VAX vs. a SuperAmiga?  A Sun
vs. a SuperAmiga?  And what are the price/performance ratios involved?
The Amiga clearly comes out ahead for a wide variety of users.
			-Mitsu (mitsu@well.UUCP)