[net.sf-lovers] want norse gods book title

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (10/18/85)

>gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) writes:
>I'm looking for the title/author of a SF-fantasy novel in which a modern
>man encounters the Norse mythical gods (while he's freezing to death,
>I think.)  He's carried across the Bifrost where they're getting ready
>for Ragnarok - the final battle with the Frost Giants.  He helps them
>defeat the FG's with an atomic bomb...
>I thought it was a good read when I was 14, and I'd like to try it again.

I think you are refering to one of the sections in The Compleat Enchanter
by L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt (Ballantine Books).  It is
the first story and is called "The Roaring Trumpet".

I also read it young.  I think you'll enjoy it the second time, too--I did.
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.

somner@lasspvax.UUCP (David Somner) (10/18/85)

In article <8782@microsoft.UUCP> gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) writes:
>I'm looking for the title/author of a SF-fantasy novel in which a modern
>man encounters the Norse mythical gods (while he's freezing to death,
>I think.)  He's carried across the Bifrost where they're getting ready
>for Ragnarok - the final battle with the Frost Giants.  He helps them
>defeat the FG's with an atomic bomb...

I read this book as well.  Unfortunately, this book lies about 400 miles
away from where I am right now, so I can't remember the exact title.  I
believe that the title is "The Day of the Gods" or something similar.  Don't
rag on me too much if I can't remember the title!  Very few people have read
this book, as far as I can tell!

*  UUCP:  ...!{decvax, ihnp4, allegra, vax135}!cornell!lasspvax!somner       *
*  Arpa:  somner@lasspvax.tn.cornell.edu.arpa                                *
*  Bitnet:  ruuj@cornella.bitnet                                             *
*          My opinions are my own and no one else can have them!             *

steven@hp-lsd.UUCP (steven) (10/21/85)

I think the book was by del Rey and was titled either "Day of the
Giants" or "Twilight of the Gods" or some permutation thereof.  I
thought the pseudo-technological dwarves were fun.  They could perform
chemical analyses by taste, easily seperate elements with handmade
gizmos and pressure weld with their bare hands, but couldn't even drill
a straight hole in a gun barrel.

                            Steven Sharp

djl@ptsfb.UUCP (Dave Lampe) (10/21/85)

>gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) writes:
>I'm looking for the title/author of a SF-fantasy novel in which a modern
>man encounters the Norse mythical gods (while he's freezing to death,
>I think.)  He's carried across the Bifrost where they're getting ready
>for Ragnarok - the final battle with the Frost Giants.  He helps them
>defeat the FG's with an atomic bomb...

Try "The Day of the Giants" by Lester del Rey 1959. The copy I have is an
Airmont paperback published in 1964.

Dave Lampe @ Pacific Bell
{ucbvax,amd,zehntel,ihnp4,cbosgd}!dual!ptsfa!ptsfb!djl
(415) 823-2408

moews_b@h-sc1.UUCP (david moews) (10/22/85)

> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
> >gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) writes:
> >I'm looking for the title/author of a SF-fantasy novel in which a modern
> >man encounters the Norse mythical gods (while he's freezing to death,
> >I think.)  He's carried across the Bifrost where they're getting ready
> >for Ragnarok - the final battle with the Frost Giants.  He helps them
> >defeat the FG's with an atomic bomb...
> >I thought it was a good read when I was 14, and I'd like to try it again.
>
> I think you are refering to one of the sections in The Compleat Enchanter
> by L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt (Ballantine Books).  It is
> the first story and is called "The Roaring Trumpet".

     Well..."The Roaring Trumpet" doesn't exactly match this description.
In "The Roaring Trumpet," the hero is transferred into an alternate world
by some philosophical mumbo-jumbo, and only then meets the Norse gods:
he does not meet the gods in this world, and they do not then carry him across
the Bifrost bridge.  Also, there was no atomic bomb used in "The Roaring
Trumpet." Unfortunately, I can't think of any other book that might fit
the description.

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (10/23/85)

>gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) writes:
>I'm looking for the title/author of a SF-fantasy novel in which a modern
>man encounters the Norse mythical gods (while he's freezing to death,
>I think.)  He's carried across the Bifrost where they're getting ready
>for Ragnarok - the final battle with the Frost Giants.  He helps them
>defeat the FG's with an atomic bomb...
>I thought it was a good read when I was 14, and I'd like to try it again.

Wow, I haven't though about that book for 20+ years, but I liked it too back
then. Anyway the title is _Day of the Giants_ and the author is Lester DelRey.

----
William J. Richard @ Charles River Data Systems
983 Concord St. Framingham, MA 01701
Tel: (617) 626-1112
uucp: ...!decvax!frog!wjr

di726108@sjuvax.UUCP (iannucci) (10/25/85)

In article <613@h-sc1.UUCP> moews_b@h-sc1.UUCP (david moews) writes:
>> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>> >gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon Letwin) writes:
>> >I'm looking for the title/author of a SF-fantasy novel in which a modern
>> >man encounters the Norse mythical gods (while he's freezing to death,
>> >I think.)  He's carried across the Bifrost where they're getting ready
>> >for Ragnarok - the final battle with the Frost Giants.  He helps them
>> >defeat the FG's with an atomic bomb...

 I myself stumbled over this book when I was about that age; the title is
"Day of the Giants" and the author was Lester Del Rey. I don't know if it is     still in print; the copy I still have is from the early sixties.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."    --Neil Young