[net.micro.amiga] Errors from console.device

ridder@warlok.dec.com (06/18/86)

   ========

Date: 18 Jun 1986 0934-MDT
From: Hans <RIDDER@WARLOK>
To: "net.micro.amiga"@DECWRL
Subject: Errors from console.device

I am having trouble with the console.device which I hope someone
has either already solved, or perhaps the CA wizards can shed some
light on.

I have a little test program which opens the console.device and simply
reads one character and then writes it, thus echoing everything typed.
Just to be a good programming citizen I checked the value in io_Error
after the DoIO() call.  Whenever I type very quickly (by quickly doing
an "asdf"), the WRITE (not the READ) returns an io_Error of 1 (io_Flags
is returned 0x81 I think).  What I don't understand is why is the WRITE
failing?  If I were overruning a buffer, I would expect the READ to
return the error, not the WRITE!?!  Also, since my 1.1 Rom Kernel Manual
is "In The Mail", I can't see if it tells me what the io_Error of 1
means (the include files don't even mention errors)!  I am using 1.1
Kickstart and Workbench.

By the way, if I ignore the value in io_Error (as most people do), then
my program just merrily echoes along!  Somehow it bothers me to know
that the console.device is telling me something and I'm ignoring it.

-hans
   --------

kodiak@amiga.UUCP (Robert [Kodiak] R. Burns) (06/19/86)

In article <3706@decwrl.DEC.COM> "Hans" ridder@warlok.dec.com writes:
>I have a little test program which opens the console.device and simply
>reads one character and then writes it, thus echoing everything typed.
>Just to be a good programming citizen I checked the value in io_Error
>after the DoIO() call.  Whenever I type very quickly (by quickly doing
>an "asdf"), the WRITE (not the READ) returns an io_Error of 1 (io_Flags
>is returned 0x81 I think).  What I don't understand is why is the WRITE
>failing?

Hans deserves a GOOD CITIZEN award.  This is a bug that's been around from
eternity.  It's fixed for the next release (1.2 beta 4).  Another example of
how y'all in netland can help the Amiga QA effort.

for C=A,
- Kodiak     n_n       phone: (408) 374-3635
            / ..\       uucp: pyramid!amiga!kodiak
             \_m          or: {ihnp4|seismo|caip|allegra}!cbmvax!kodiak
		       maybe: cbmvax!kodiak@seismo.ccs.GOV
disclaimer: The views expressed above are not necessarily those of my employer.
codicil: I am now self-employed.

	There don't seem to be any error codes listed for the console device.
(so much for my manual)  Well, if nothing is screwing up, it's probably a
problem with the device driver.  Then again, there is one other possibility:
Perhaps the device driver doesn't set the result at all.  Do you clear the
error flag before doing DoIO()'s ??

					-Matt

adp@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) (06/24/86)

In article <3706@decwrl.DEC.COM> ridder@warlok.dec.com writes:

.
.
.
>-hans
>   --------

Hans -- I seem unable to mail directly to you, would you please
mail me a note describing how to cross over the nets to your machine?

-- Tony Parkhurst

*      Tony Parkhurst -- {hplabs|sdcsvax|ncr-sd|hpfcla|ihnp4}!hp-sdd!adp      *
*                        OR   hp-sdd!adp@nosc.arpa                            *

ridder@warlok.dec.com (06/24/86)

   ========

Date: 24 Jun 1986 0805-MDT
From: Hans <RIDDER@WARLOK>
To: "net.micro.amiga"@DECWRL
Subject: Re: Errors from console.device

Thanks for the only reply (so far) Matt.  Yes, I did make sure the
I/O request was completely re-initialized before I sent it off each
time.  I don't think that would have anything to do with it though,
since it only happens when I type fast.

So how about it CA?  Any help on errors from console.device?
How about a list of error codes?

-hans
   --------