[net.micro.amiga] C-Kermit for the Amiga

jjr@sas.UUCP (Jack Rouse) (06/25/86)

[Insert your message here]

I independently developed a version of C-Kermit of that has a number of
features that are missing in the version currently available from
Columbia.  These features include:
   . improved serial support, including XON/XOFF flow control, breaks,
     and multiple character reads for efficiency at high baud rates.
   . AmigaDOS commands can be executed either locally or through the
     the server with all output going to the correct destination.
   . wildcard expansion is supported in file sends and receives.
   . the current directory can be set either locally or remotely.
   . protection against inadvertent file overwrites is supported.
   . connect mode gives ANSI screen support via the console device

The primary deficiencies are:
   . Based on the 4C(057) version of C-Kermit.
   . There is no way to abort Kermit if protocol hangs to the point
     where the standard Kermit interrupt characters do not work.
   . There is no way to pause output or send input to a single
     line command invoked from the C-Kermit command processor.
   . Like the Columbia version, the DIAL and SCRIPT commands are not
     yet implemented.
   . Kermit currently uses a standard window with borders and a
     sizing gadget, so there are only 23 lines of 77 columns.

This version is written in Lattice 3.03 C.  It is working, known to be
reliable at speeds up to 19200 baud, and is ready now.  I have an
improved version based on 4D(060) C-Kermit in development.  The new
version has numerous enhancements, and will address the problems
noted above (except for the DIAL and SCRIPT commands, which will take
more time).  It should be available in a few weeks.

The source and program is freely redistributable, but if you can not
find someone who already has a copy then I will provide a disk with
source and executable for six dollars.  Send your name, address, and
a check to me at:

    Jack J. Rouse
    106 Rubin Ct. Apt. A-4
    Cary, NC  27511

I will send you the currently available version of C-Kermit unless you
indicate otherwise.

                             --- jjr

acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall) (06/26/86)

In article <107@sas.UUCP> jjr@sas.UUCP (Jack Rouse) writes:

> I independently developed a version of C-Kermit ...
>
> This version is written in Lattice 3.03 C.  It is working, known to be
> reliable at speeds up to 19200 baud, and is ready now.  I have an
> improved version based on 4D(060) C-Kermit in development.  The new
> version has numerous enhancements, and will address the problems
> noted above (except for the DIAL and SCRIPT commands, which will take
> more time).  It should be available in a few weeks.
>
> The source and program is freely redistributable, but if you can not
>
>                              --- jjr

Hey, this sounds like a *perfect* use of mod.amiga.sources!  Why not send
it to the moderator?
--
Tony Sumrall                    ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,sun}!amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]