Date: Tue, 24 Jun 86 13:48:56 pdt
From: hplabs!ucbvax!decwrl!glacier!mips!kim@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn)
To: spencer@usc-oberon.ARPA
Subject: Re: Alegra memory board

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

I also saw the Access Associates 512K/2M memory board at the BADGE
meeting, and spoke with the designer, Steve Grant.

The board layout is nicely done, and should be pretty quiet, as it's
a 4-layer design (2 signal, Vcc, and GND).  It has hidden refresh, and
runs without any wait states.

To upgrade to 2 Megs, you need to replace the 16 256Kx1 DRAMS with 1-Meg
parts, and change two of the PALs that deal with configuration, etc.
(Currently you're on your own in obtaining 1-Meg DRAMS, but the PALs are
available from Access for $10.)  BTW, the DRAMS and PALs *are* socketed.

Steve mentioned that if one uses the CMOS variety of 1-Meg DRAMS, the
power consumption is *less* for the 2 Megs than for 512K of non-CMOS ...
seems like the way to go (after 1-Meg parts drop in price a bit).

The board performed without any problems, and was only slightly warm
after two hours of operation.  Color of the plastic case is the same as
the Amiga, and the board has FCC approval.

One other note ... according to Steve, Access Associates has been in
business here in the Valley for quite awhile (i.e., they aren't a
start-up, and this is not their 1st product);  most of their work has
been custom test h/w for PROM/EPROM components, etc.

If you are interested, I would suggest giving them a call before their
"Introductory Offer" expires (06/30/86).

/kim

Disclaimer:  Neither I nor my employer have any connection with Access
	     Associates in any way ... though I have ordered one of their
	     boards.

....I disclaim everything, I had nothing to do with it, it's not my fault!....
Randal Spencer  - DEC, {amiga} Consulting -  University of Southern California
phone: (213) 743-5363  Arpa:Spencer@USC-ECL,USC-Oberon  Bitnet:Spencer@USCVAXQ
UUCP:...up to you!{{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcrdcf,scgvaxd,smeagol}!usc-oberon!spencer
Home: 937 N. Beverly Glen Bl. Bel Air California 90077          (213) 470-0428