[net.micro.amiga] CHEEP Memory

rico@oscvax.UUCP (06/27/86)

In article <439@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:
>In article <1040@umd5.UUCP> louie@umd5.UUCP (Louis Mamakos) writes:
>>In article <1302@garfield.UUCP> joseph@garfield.UUCP (Joseph Dawson) writes:
>>>      AX1000 Amiga 1 MEG RAM Box $729.00(+$100 S&H) U.S.
>>>                                 $1035.00(+$25 S&H) Cdn
>>>      AX2000 Amiga 2 MEG RAM Box $899.00(+$100 S&H) U.S.
>>>                                 $1276.00(+$25 S&H) Cdn
>>>
>>Does anyone else think that $100 for shipping and handling is expensive?
>>Even the $25 for domestic shipping is on the upper edge of what I'd be
>>willing to pay, but $100 ?
>>--
>>Louis A. Mamakos WA3YMH   University of Maryland, Computer Science Center
>> Internet: louie@trantor.umd.edu
>> UUCP: {seismo!umcp-cs, ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!louie
>
><...>
>Yes, I think $100 is ridiculous.  Especially when Cardco's 1Meg ram with
>Auto-config also, is $595, and will be sold through dealers.
>
>	Paul Higginbottom
>Disclaimer: I do not work for Commodore and opinions expressed are my own.

I went and talked to the folks at Comspec last night and the "official"
word as I understand it is that for your $100 you get the product delivered
to your door within *3 DAYS*, that clears it through customs, pays any
extra duty etc. etc. etc.  no hassles for you.  Comspec thought they were
doing the world a service...  In any case, the $100 is not mandatory, if you
wish to take care of your own shipping (i.e. tell them how to send it,
use your favourite system...) they say that they'll do that too...

Does anybody know if $100 is a reasonable price to pay for 3-day deliverly
and such like I said? (that's not a rhetorical question...)

	-Rico

	...{ihnp4|decvax|allegra|linus|watmath}!utzoo!oscvax!rico

DISCLAIMERS:	a) The Science Centre has nothing to do with any of this.
		b) Compsec and me go back a long time... my view may be
			slightly to severly biased :-)

mackie@watdcsu.UUCP (mackie) (06/30/86)

If the product was going the other direction (ie U.S. to Canada), $100
is not at all unreasonable.  A few years ago, when I sold disk drives,
I had to pay about $15 shipping, $75 federal sales tax (10% I beleive)
and about $25 in brokerage fees per disk drive to bring it into Canada
from the U.S.  At that time, disk drives were about $700 each.