[net.micro.amiga] Window Status Report problem

mic@ut-ngp.UUCP (Mic Kaczmarczik) (06/30/86)

I've been working on some code that manages a RAW: window and would
like to find out how big the window is, using the Window Status Report
code given p. 3-64 in the 1.1 RKM).  I've tried this, but it doesn't
work; the program never sees anything that looks like the report.  Is
the function itself broken, or am I sending the wrong command code
to the window?

Mic Kaczmarczik

andy@amiga.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (07/01/86)

In article <3583@ut-ngp.UUCP> mic@ut-ngp.UUCP (Mic Kaczmarczik) writes:

>I've been working on some code that manages a RAW: window and would
>like to find out how big the window is, using the Window Status Report
>code given p. 3-64 in the 1.1 RKM).  I've tried this, but it doesn't
>work; the program never sees anything that looks like the report.  Is
>the function itself broken, or am I sending the wrong command code
>to the window?
>
>Mic Kaczmarczik

Slight documentation problem there, Mic.  The correct escape sequence
should be (in hex) 91 20 71
 or  <CSI><SPACE>q

and the results should come flowing back to you as an escape sequence
(by the way, it will come back as
<CSI>1;1;<bottom margin>;<right margin><SPACE>r

and the bottom margin and right margins will be in decimal.

				andy

--

			andy finkel
			Commodore(Amiga)

"Remember, no matter where you grow, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonsai.

andy@amiga.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (07/01/86)

In article <3583@ut-ngp.UUCP> mic@ut-ngp.UUCP (Mic Kaczmarczik) writes:

>I've been working on some code that manages a RAW: window and would
>like to find out how big the window is, using the Window Status Report
>code given p. 3-64 in the 1.1 RKM).  I've tried this, but it doesn't

>Mic Kaczmarczik

My tip for problems like these: Always check the autodoc listings
in the RKM, volume 2.  (The autodocs are those tiny-printed, sideways
docs, called Function Summaries, or some such, that are produced
automagically from the source code headers when we make a release).
	There's always the chance * that, in translating the
(sometimes **) cryptic information from the programmers into English,
small errors (like leaving out the space in the window escape
sequence) creep in.  But the autodocs, not having been through the
translation phase, can often be expected to be somewhat more accurate.
(poof ***)

So always check the function summary...it might save you some time
and frustration.

				andy

Useful terms used in this posting:
(* chance;  you may define your own probabilities for this chance)
(** sometimes; often)
(*** poof; unless its not. fr. Jovian)
--

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) (07/01/86)

In article <3583@ut-ngp.UUCP> mic@ut-ngp.UUCP (Mic Kaczmarczik) writes:

>I've been working on some code that manages a RAW: window and would
>like to find out how big the window is, using the Window Status Report
>code given p. 3-64 in the 1.1 RKM).  I've tried this, but it doesn't
>work; the program never sees anything that looks like the report.  Is
>the function itself broken, or am I sending the wrong command code
>to the window?
>
>Mic Kaczmarczik

I've used much of the ansi features of the raw: device, and I seem to
remember that this worked.  On the other hand, if it didn't, I probably
kludged my way around it by positioning the cursor to some position below
and to the right of the bottom right corner of the screen and then a
cursor position report.  I hope this helps...