[net.sf-lovers] title request

rpw3@fortune.UUCP (01/04/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1486800:fortune:9900017:000:667
fortune!rpw3    Jan  3 15:01:00 1984

Re: cat saves us monkey people.

Hmmmm... that's strange. All the way through your description I
kept thinking, this is just like the pilot of the survey craft
that came out from the new planet in "The Wanderer", by Fritz Leiber.
But at the end you say you already have the novel. Are you thinking of
some other novel, or has it just been awhile since you have read
"The Wanderer"????

-Puzzled...

Rob Warnock

UUCP:	{sri-unix,amd70,hpda,harpo,ihnp4,allegra}!fortune!rpw3
DDD:	(415)595-8444
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphins Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065

p.s. I liked The Wanderer, for those who haven't read it. Another "When
Worlds [nearly] Collide".

wombat@uicsl.UUCP (01/04/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1486800:uicsl:10700069:000:1821
uicsl!wombat    Jan  3 14:12:00 1984

** uicsl:net.sf-lovers / sri-arpa!SoftArts@MIT-MULTICS / 10:43 am  Dec 30, 1983
A story about an alien landing and talking to cats for a while,
making no attempt at contacting "monkey people" (or some
similar term) and leaving--taking with her the narrator's cat,
whom he had followed, which is how he found out about this.
Just before leaving, she asks the cats whether she should
destroy the monkeys, who obviously deserve it for having kept
the cats in bondage and such nonsense, and they defend us (we
get to here her translation of their speech).

Any ideas as to title, author, where collected?

Also, I am looking for good cat/sf books/stories.
So far I've got Andre Norton's stuff, and The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber
----------
Sounds like Cynthia Felice's novel *Godsfire*. Even if it isn't the
same book, *Godsfire* is an ok cat/sf book.
Also, Leiber has done three stories about Gummitch (2 with Psycho),
"Space Time for Springers" and two others. Try looking in *The Best
of Fritz Leiber* or *The Book of Fritz Leiber*. The third story was
in the most recent anniversary issue of F&SF.
For a cat-like race of people, try C.J. Cherryh's *The Pride of Chanur*.
Robert Heinlein's *Door Into Summer* has a cat who seems to affect
more readers than does the protagonist, though it appears only in the
beginning and at the end.
Have a look at Mervyn Peake's Gormengast trilogy -- the cats aren't
major characters or anything, but they add a nice touch, and the
books are wonderful.
Another semi-feline race is Larry Niven's Kzinti, in many of his Known
Space books and stories.
Joanna Russ has a new book of stories out called *The Zanzibar Cat*.
I haven't read it yet, but I assume the title story is about a cat.
Vonnegut's *Cat's Cradle* has nothing to do with cats.
						Wombat
						ihnp4!uiucdcs!uicsl!wombat

hakanson@orstcs.UUCP (01/09/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1486800:orstcs:11600023:000:276
orstcs!hakanson    Jan  7 12:12:00 1984

Anne McCaffrey's "Decision at Doona" is not too bad, either.  Though a bit
juvenile in places, it has a good story about a cat-like race, and includes
good views on a crowded Earth.

Marion Hakanson			CSnet:  hakanson@oregon-state
				UUCP :  {hp-pcd,teklabs}!orstcs!hakanson

messick@orstcs.UUCP (01/09/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1486800:orstcs:11600025:000:447
orstcs!messick    Jan  7 14:39:00 1984

Wombat missed another one by Cherry: Hestia.  It is concerned with the
problems that arise when humans colonists try to co-exist with the
native cat-like race.

Also, I disagree that the story line given sounds like Godsfire.  I don't
recall monkeys being mentioned anywhere in the book and the aliens were
humans, who had settled on the planet without knowing that a another
sentient race lived there.

--steve
{teklabs, hp-pcd}!orstcs!messick

kenv@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Varnum) (01/30/84)

  Can anyone give me the titles of additional works by the
following authors?
1)'Doc' Smith  I have read the: Lensman series, the Skylark
                                series, the Subspace series.
2)l. Ron Hubbard  I have only read Battlefield Earth.  Any other
                    good ones by him?

  Thanks in advance,

Ken Varnum
 (..decvax!dartvax!kenv)

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (02/12/84)

L. Ron Hubbard found that starting his own religion was much more profitable
than writing Sci-fi for a nickel a word. I dont think he has done much in
recent years.

John Eaton

!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

bishop_2%babel.DEC@purdue-merlin.ARPA (03/22/84)

From:  bishop_2%babel.DEC@purdue-merlin.ARPA  (JB)

I'm trying to find the author and title of a story or novelette in
which the hero, a reporter named Flannery, is sent to the planet
Frostbite and uncovers a drug ring run by a man named Parsons.  The
drug is called "JKB", and is supposedly addictive with one dose.
The technology of news is all newspaper-style, complete with an AP
wire service.  Thank you.

				-John Bishop

zben@umcp-cs.UUCP (03/25/84)

[I took the liberty of adding to the subject.  It was unreasonably general.]

    I'm trying to find the author and title of a story or novelette in
    which the hero, a reporter named Flannery, is sent to the planet
    Frostbite and uncovers a drug ring run by a man named Parsons.  The
    drug is called "JKB", and is supposedly addictive with one dose.
    The technology of news is all newspaper-style, complete with an AP
    wire service.  Thank you.

				-John Bishop

This sounds much like a book by Hal Clements titled "Iceworld".  I won't
spoil it for other readers, but does the name "tofacco" mean anything to
you?

You might also be interested in "The Nitrogen Fix", by the same author.

Ben Cranston      ...seismo!umcp-cs!zben       zben@umd2.ARPA

janney@unm-cvax.UUCP (03/28/84)

<eat me>
	Sorry about posting this, but I don't trust sending mail to
funny-looking addresses...

The story about the reporter Flannery on the planet Frostbite is
"Make Mine Mars", by Cyril Kornbluth.  To find it, you will probably
have to go to a library or used book store and look for collections
of his stories.  It's worth the trouble, though, if only for the
song at the beginning:

	X is for the ecstasy she gave me,
	S is for her scales of ivoree
	Put it all together, it spells XS?????

(I don't remember all of it)

Jim Janney
{parsec,ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!unm-cvax!janney
{purdue,lbl-csam,cmcl2,csu-cs}!lanl-a!unm-cvax!janney

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/19/85)

I received this title request and I'm stumped.  If you know the answer,
send it to Dave:

Re:  Here's a short story plot, can anybody name the title/author?

Plot:  This is a alternate future story, the narrator's present is one in
which cars have been replaced by trolley's.  Lots of trolleys.  They run
all over the country -- lots of transportation substance without the
ego/ownership thing.  The narrator is on one for at least part of the
tale.  He slips in and out of (dreams?) the other future (ours) where
gasoline powered machines have ruined the environment.  There are some
crazies in his alternate/present that drive (illeggasoline cars.
..... that's about all that I remember, except a vauge feeling that the
turning point between the futures was identified.  Ring any bells anybody?

(In real life: Dave Weininger)

UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,allegra}!scgvaxd!muddcs!MedChem!Dave
ARPA:	muddcs!MedChem!Dave@ucla-cs

@RUTGERS.ARPA:FIRTH@TL-20B.ARPA (04/25/85)

From: FIRTH@TL-20B.ARPA

The House, the nuclear war, the little robot mice, ...

It can only be  There Will Come Soft Rains, by Ray Bradbury.  This
happens to be on my list of truly great sf short stories, so yes,
do read it again, and I hope you like it as much.
-------

mooremj@EGLIN-VAX (07/09/85)

From: mooremj@EGLIN-VAX

Did James Schmitz ever write a sequel to _The_Witches_of_Karres_?
(Beyond the expansion of the original story to a novel, I mean.)

                               marty moore (mooremj@eglin-vax.arpa)

goldenberg%istari.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM (10/26/85)

From: goldenberg%istari.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM  (Ruth Goldenberg)

>From: infinet!cgf@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Faylor)
>Subject: Trying to remember a book title
>Date: 17 Oct 85 18:57:39 GMT

>When I was in the third grade (about 24 years ago) I read a book
>that sort of got me started on science fiction/fantasy.  It involved
>some kids who found an old coin which granted them wishes... sort
>of.  The coin was so old that they had to wish for everything twice
>to get a complete wish, otherwise they only got half of what they
>wished for.

I'm pretty sure you're after "Half Magic", whose author's name I've
forgotten. I think I saw it in a posting from several days ago,
perhaps that Sept. book list?

reg