[net.micro.amiga] Serial Port Communications

jwabik@umd-ua.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) (07/04/86)

Here's a question for all you Amiga types.  I just got my machine about
a week ago, and since that time I've been trying to connect an old
"dumb terminal" to the serial port -- just to dump things to and
play with..  In any case, I can't get the setup to work.  I've been
in preferences a set the correct baud rate, and I've made sure that
my terminal works correctly, and I've made sure that the Amiga pins
on the serial port that are "hot" are not connected to the terminal,
and etc..   This doesn't seem to be a problem of baud/etc, since I
get no glitches on the terminal.   Is there something obvious (or hidden)
that I'm missing here ??

Thanks in advance ..
	Jeff Wabik
	University of Minnesota, Duluth
	10 University Drive
	Duluth, MN  55812

jimm@amiga.UUCP (James D. Mackraz) (07/07/86)

In article <148@umd-ua.UUCP> jwabik@umd-ua.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:
>Here's a question for all you Amiga types.  I just got my machine about
>a week ago, and since that time I've been trying to connect an old
>"dumb terminal" to the serial port -- just to dump things to and
>play with..  In any case, I can't get the setup to work.  I've been
>in preferences a set the correct baud rate, and I've made sure that
>my terminal works correctly, and I've made sure that the Amiga pins
>on the serial port that are "hot" are not connected to the terminal,
>and etc..   This doesn't seem to be a problem of baud/etc, since I
>get no glitches on the terminal.   Is there something obvious (or hidden)
>that I'm missing here ??

I hope you get some real help from somebody, but I want to be sure you
know about kprintf(), which is a little printf() which goes out serial
at 9600 baud.  Note that most c-compilers promote shorts and char to
32 bits, so you have to do kprintf("number: %ld\n", number);

There is some getchar() kind of thing in there so you can pause, waiting on
a key at the tty, but most people just call Debug() which runs romwack out
to your tty.  Debug() returns and your program proceeds when you type ^D.

Not the answer, but something everyone should know.

					jimm

ltf@well.UUCP (Lance T Franklin) (07/08/86)

In article <148@umd-ua.UUCP> jwabik@umd-ua.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:
>Here's a question for all you Amiga types.  I just got my machine about
>a week ago, and since that time I've been trying to connect an old
>"dumb terminal" to the serial port -- just to dump things to and
>play with..  In any case, I can't get the setup to work.  I've been
>in preferences a set the correct baud rate, and I've made sure that
>my terminal works correctly, and I've made sure that the Amiga pins
>on the serial port that are "hot" are not connected to the terminal,
>and etc..   This doesn't seem to be a problem of baud/etc, since I
>get no glitches on the terminal.   Is there something obvious (or hidden)
>that I'm missing here ??
>
>Thanks in advance ..
>	Jeff Wabik
>	University of Minnesota, Duluth
>	10 University Drive
>	Duluth, MN  55812

Hmmmmm....Jeff, just a guess...did you try swapping the rd and sd lines between
the Amiga and the Terminal?  That is, the Receive Data and Send Data lines.
This is what I usually try when nothing else works...the term usually used is
"Null Modem" cable.  The Amiga is expecting to see a modem on the other end
of the cable, which has RD on pin 3 and TD on pin 2...to talk to a terminal,
yoyou need to plug the TD on the terminal (pin 2) to the RD on the Amiga (pin
3) and RD on the terminal to TD on the Amiga.  Give it a try....swap pins
two and three on the cable from the terminal to the Amiga.

Good Luck.......Lance (ltf at the Well!)

mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (07/10/86)

<><><><><><<<><><><>>>

	A couple people have been having problems hooking up devices
to the serial port.  One thing to remember is that the Amiga not only has
hot pins, it also has extra signals, so that to be safe you should only
connect pins 2-8 and 20.  One typically errant signal is that of pin 18,
the system-wide I/O interrupt line.  If pin 18 means something else to
your modem or terminal, you could be having some major problems (this
is a completely non-standard pin, included so that designers could take
advantage of having the I/O interrupt line on the Amiga available.)
Try disconnecting pin 18, or better yet, just get a null-modem cable
(you need this anyway, swaps lines 2 and 3) that only connects the
lines you need (typically 2-8 and 20 are available.)
			-Mitsu

mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (07/10/86)

<><><<><><><><<><<>>>><>>>>

In article <1407@well.UUCP> I write:
>Try disconnecting pin 18, or better yet, just get a null-modem cable . . .
I neglected to mention that you only need a null-modem cable if you
are trying to hook up two computers to each other.  This may or may not
be true for a terminal to a computer, but I doubt it.  Modems just use
a straight 2 -> 2, 3 -> 3 cable.  Sorry for the mixup.
			-Mitsu

rb@cci632.UUCP (07/14/86)

In article <148@umd-ua.UUCP> jwabik@umd-ua.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:
>Here's a question for all you Amiga types.  I just got my machine about
>a week ago, and since that time I've been trying to connect an old
>"dumb terminal" to the serial port -- just to dump things to and
>play with..
>in preferences a set the correct baud rate, and I've made sure that
>my terminal works correctly, and I've made sure that the Amiga pins
>on the serial port that are "hot" are not connected to the terminal,
>and etc..
 Is there something obvious (or hidden)
>that I'm missing here ??

It's amazing how many little quirks can mount up when trying to connect
an RS-232c terminal to another terminal.  Among the important things to
check for are CTS, RTS, DTR, and DCD requirements.

Also make sure you "Cross" your 2/3 wires, and bring pin 7 through.
If both machines support X-on/X-off, you can just jumper pins 4/5
and 8/20.