[net.micro.amiga] Words for The Wise!

joseph@garfield.UUCP (07/09/86)

Don't get an Amiga!!!
I bought my Amiga over two Months ago. I was Planing on making a BBS
on the computer.  So the first thing I do is spend $120 on a set of
three BOOKS. Then I try to set up a printer cable by using the books
and the printer manual. The cable did not work as the book was all wrong.
None of the pins were right!
This Book was made by commodore and is not worth the paper it is printed on.
Before I can make My BBS I need a few BASIC! (Not C!!!) peeks to check
to see if the modem is ringing and to check for carrier.

I used the same book but in the HEX address it has R's all over them.
Now as I am only a Basic Programmer and not some Tech. from Amiga, I don't
know what R's are in Hex.
I am from a Sorta little City up here in Newfoundland, and we only go
from A to F in HEX. (NO R's)
For the LAST time PLEASE TELL
me how to check for CARRIER
and RING from AMIGABasic.
And were can I get some GOOD
books on this computer.

Joseph Dawson
4 Cork Place
St. John's, Nfld
Canada
A1B 2W4

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (07/11/86)

In article <1378@garfield.UUCP> joseph@garfield.UUCP (Joseph Dawson) writes:

>For the LAST time PLEASE TELL
>me how to check for CARRIER
>and RING from AMIGABasic.
>And were can I get some GOOD
>books on this computer.

$BFD000   Bits   7     6     5     4     3     2     1     0

               /DTR  /RTS  /CD   /CTS  /DSR   SEL   POUT   BUSY

   I believe Compute will be publishing some books for Basic programmers.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

andy@amiga.UUCP (07/12/86)

In article <1378@garfield.UUCP> joseph@garfield.UUCP (Joseph Dawson) writes:
>Don't get an Amiga!!!

Sigh.  I'm going to answer this anyway, even though *I* don't appreciate
either the tone of voice, or the attitude.

>I bought my Amiga over two Months ago. I was Planing on making a BBS
>on the computer.  So the first thing I do is spend $120 on a set of
>three BOOKS. Then I try to set up a printer cable by using the books
>and the printer manual. The cable did not work as the book was all wrong.
>None of the pins were right!

You might check "Intro to Amiga, page 7-12 and 7-13", for descriptions
of the pinouts of the parallel and serial port.

>This Book was made by commodore and is not worth the paper it is printed on.
>Before I can make My BBS I need a few BASIC! (Not C!!!) peeks to check
>to see if the modem is ringing and to check for carrier.

If you really want out turn out a decent BBS, you really should consider
learning another language.  BASIC is fine for some things, but really
doesn't give that much structure & modularity for large projects.
But you may not consider those important.  Perhaps the speed improvement
you would experience would be important to you.

>I used the same book but in the HEX address it has R's all over them.
>Now as I am only a Basic Programmer and not some Tech. from Amiga, I don't
>know what R's are in Hex.
>I am from a Sorta little City up here in Newfoundland, and we only go
>from A to F in HEX. (NO R's)

Well, the R in those numbers refer to a register number (from 0-F) in
the 8520.

>For the LAST time PLEASE TELL
>me how to check for CARRIER
>and RING from AMIGABasic.

the port is at $BFD000

bit 7   *DTR
bit 6   *RTS
bit 5   *CD
bit 4   *CTS
bit 3   *DSR
bit 2   SEL
bit 1   POUT
bit 0	BUSY

*Active Low
(its written a little confusingly, but its in the Hardware Manual,
 Appendix D page 1 and Appendix E page 8)

You will have to PEEK() it to get the value.

>And were can I get some GOOD
>books on this computer.
>
>Joseph Dawson

You also might want to consider getting a good terminal program, one without
the capitalization problems that your current one obviously has.

BTW, I really was tempted to answer you with comments in kind.  I'm didn't,
though, and just held myself (mostly) to answering your questions.
Next time, however.....

				andy
--

			andy finkel
			Commodore(Amiga)

"Remember, no matter where you grow, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonsai.

kdd@well.UUCP (07/15/86)

In article <1406@amiga.amiga.UUCP> andy@peabody.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>BTW, I really was tempted to answer you with comments in kind.  I'm didn't,
>though, and just held myself (mostly) to answering your questions.
>Next time, however.....

Rip into the bitch...

Keith Doyle
ihnp4!ptsfa!well!kdd

P.S. (Don's Party)
I suppose it might also be helpful to mention that it would seem that
the RS-232 signal RI (ring indicator) pin 22, is probably not directly
readable (this is an assumption, as my hardware manual is not handy).
But, if you are not using a Hayes compatible modem you can probably
redirect pin 22 of the modem to the RTS or CTS pin and sense it that
way.  With a Hayes compatible, you simply look for a received string
of 'RING', which is preferable as the RI pin will probably pulse
momentarily which coulwd be missed if you happened to be busy doing
something else.  (and this is a multi-tasking OS remember).

elg@usl.UUCP (07/17/86)

In article <1378@garfield.UUCP> joseph@garfield.UUCP (Joseph Dawson) writes:
>I bought my Amiga over two Months ago. I was Planing on making a BBS
>on the computer.  So the first thing I do is spend $120 on a set of
>three BOOKS. Then I try to set up a printer cable by using the books
>and the printer manual. The cable did not work as the book was all wrong.
>None of the pins were right!
>This Book was made by commodore and is not worth the paper it is printed on.
>Before I can make My BBS I need a few BASIC! (Not C!!!) peeks to check
>to see if the modem is ringing and to check for carrier.

My gawd, how does this person even manage to log onto a UNIX system?
If the Commodore docs are that horrible in his estimation, how
horrible would the UNIX docs be?

The Amiga docs are practically unreadable, but then I have never seen
a single technical document for a computer that was readable.

Children who dabble in BASIC shouldn't try to program, they might
strain something or otherwise hurt themselves. Commodore can be
excused for producing their technical documentation for "C"
programmers, because it's impossible to write professional-quality
software in interpretive BASIC, and it's professional-quality software
that will make or break the Amiga. For one thing, Joe Bloe's BBS
wouldn't even keep up with 1200 baud, without him adding some "C" or
machine language support to the thing.
--
--------Mandatory quote:------------
"The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with a

acs@amdahl.UUCP (07/19/86)

In article <814@usl.UUCP> elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) writes:

> In article <1378@garfield.UUCP> joseph@garfield.UUCP (Joseph Dawson) writes:
> >I bought my Amiga over two Months ago. I was Planing on making a BBS
> >on the computer.  So the first thing I do is spend $120 on a set of
> >three BOOKS. Then I try to set up a printer cable by using the books
> >and the printer manual. The cable did not work as the book was all wrong.
> >None of the pins were right!
> >This Book was made by commodore and is not worth the paper it is printed on.
> >Before I can make My BBS I need a few BASIC! (Not C!!!) peeks to check
> >to see if the modem is ringing and to check for carrier.
> >

> Children who dabble in BASIC shouldn't try to program, they might
> strain something or otherwise hurt themselves. Commodore can be
> excused for producing their technical documentation for "C"
> programmers, because it's impossible to write professional-quality
> software in interpretive BASIC, and it's professional-quality software
> that will make or break the Amiga. For one thing, Joe Bloe's BBS
> wouldn't even keep up with 1200 baud, without him adding some "C" or
> machine language support to the thing.

Seems to me that this is simply a case of misinformation being purveyed to
an "innocent" would-be user.  Since one can write a fair BBS for the IBM-PC
in BASIC it does seem reasonable that a similar thing could be done with the
Amiga.  Methinks that Mr. Dawson would be much better off flogging his dealer.

BTW I wouldn't say that the AmigaBASIC documentation is all that great.
--
Tony Sumrall                    ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,sun}!amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]