[net.micro.amiga] hard disks

louie@trantor.UMD.EDU@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (03/03/86)

From: Louis A. Mamakos <louie@trantor.UMD.EDU>

Does anyone have a hard disk running on their Amiga?  I'm soon to be in the
market for one.  The Tecmar disk seem both overpriced and a poor performer.
I was thinking of the stuff from Micro Forge.  That would give me an
expansion bus too.  Flipping these floppies is for the birds.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
  University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (07/19/86)

Hello fellow Amiga enthusiasts.  This is my first time posting
to this newsgroup.

I've had my Amiga since May.  I love it.  I do wish there were
reasonably priced, good hard disks available.  I'd appreciate
any information on hard disks that anyone might have.  As far as
I know the only hard disk available are vaporware.

Marnix A. van Ammers

--

bj@well.UUCP (Jim Becker) (07/20/86)

In article <249@pttesac.UUCP> vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) writes:
>Hello fellow Amiga enthusiasts.  This is my first time posting
>to this newsgroup.
>
>I've had my Amiga since May.  I love it.  I do wish there were
>reasonably priced, good hard disks available.  I'd appreciate
>any information on hard disks that anyone might have.  As far as
>I know the only hard disk available are vaporware.
>
>Marnix A. van Ammers
>
>--

The Byte by Byte expansion chassis incorporates a up to ten megabytes of
memory and two IBM ST-506 compatible harddisks. This unit is in production
now and should be shipping the second week of August. I have used the
disk and the system and it is unbelievably fast. The speed with a standard
SeaGate ST-225 is about seven times the speed of the floppies. If you
allocate more buffers or use a faster access disk (the ST-225 is 85msec)
it is even faster. This product is stunning, not vaporware but still
caught in production.

You should see InfoMinder run on it !!! :-)

Jim Becker
Terrapin Software
(Maker of InfoMinder)