[net.micro.amiga] Addison-Wesley RKM

robinson@shadow.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (07/16/86)

***FLAME ON***

I have several friends who were lucky enough to buy the Commodore RKM when
it was still possible to get it from Amiga dealers.  For $24.95 they got
a manual thicker than the Oakland White Pages and complete with all the
information anyone could possibly ever want out of it.

I was not so fortunate, however, and I have been waiting anxiously for the
Addison-Wesley version so I could commence with some serious DEVELOPMENT.
Until now I have only been able to use my Amiga to show all the demos to my
friends.  I have just patiently been watching the source code posted to the
net and thinking about how nice it would be to have some idea about what
was going on.

So the local bookstore finally received something from Addison-Wesley that
claimed to be a Rom Kernal Manual.  The price was the same--$24.95--but
there was only a tiny part of the original manual!  The book covers
Exec, which is necessary knowledge for making programs behave well in the
Amiga environment, but which is useless if you don't have the necessary
information to make the programs in the first place!

The back cover promises a second part to the RKM, Libraries and Devices, or
something, which will presumably be available for $24.95 as well.  After
spending $50.00 I will only have about two thirds of the information in the
original RKM.  I suppose the missing stuff will be provided for an additional
$24.95 eventually.

So, whenever that day appears (hopefully before the Amiga gets obsoleted by
the next generation of micros), I will have spent $75.00 to get what my
friends got for $25.00 way back when the Amiga software market was an
uncluttered open field.

Then, hopefully, I will still have the desire to develop software for the
machine.

***FLAME OFF***

							--An (otherwise) satisfied customer

Disclaimer:  Any opinions or ideas expressed above are entirely my own
responsibility, but they are the intellectual property of The Regents of
the University of California, just in case they become profitable.

"Look, there's God coming out of the men's room."
					 --Woody Allen, _Annie Hall_

ARPA:	robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu
USENET:	ucbvax!ernie!robinson

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (07/16/86)

In article <14873@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> robinson@shadow.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>***FLAME ON***
>
>I have several friends who were lucky enough to buy the Commodore RKM when
>it was still possible to get it from Amiga dealers.  For $24.95 they got
>a manual thicker than the Oakland White Pages and complete with all the
>information anyone could possibly ever want out of it.
>
>So the local bookstore finally received something from Addison-Wesley that
>claimed to be a Rom Kernal Manual.  The price was the same--$24.95--but
>there was only a tiny part of the original manual!  The book covers
>Exec, which is necessary knowledge for making programs behave well in the
>Amiga environment, but which is useless if you don't have the necessary
>information to make the programs in the first place!
>
>The back cover promises a second part to the RKM, Libraries and Devices, or
>something, which will presumably be available for $24.95 as well.

   First of all, what your friends got for $24.95 was probably the
original 1 volume 1.0 Rom Kernal manual which was NOT complete.
It was preliminary documentation for developers and was very sketchy
in several areas.

   Second - I have seen a copy of the Addison/Wesley RKM Libraries volume
and it is massive.  The two A/W volumes appear to include everything that
is in our more evenly divided 2 volume 1.1 Rom Kernal manual.
In some cases (for example the IFF docs) the A/W manuals contain more
recent documentation.

   I can't say that I agree with the lopsided way A/W split the RK manual,
but the their 2 volumes combined are certainly worth $50.

   Meanwhile, I will repost the list of items available through us.
SUPPORT SERVICES

Due to finite resources, we are forced to restrict some of our support
services.  However, we are willing to provide a number of materials to
anyone.

Amiga Developer's Kit            $450.00

contents: DOS User's Manual, DOS Technical Reference Manual, DOS Developer's
Manual, Intuition Manual, Hardware Manual, ROM Kernal Manual, Lattice 'C'
compiler and manual, 68000 Macro Assembler, and the IBM cross-development
environment.

Amiga Documentation              $99.95

contents: the 6 Amiga manuals from the kit.

IFF documentation and disk       $20.00

Schematics and Expansion spec.s  $20.00
(this is currently being printed, we should have them here in two weeks)

To order, send a check payable to Commodore Business Machines to:

                   Bernadette Loughery
                   Software Tech Support
                   Commodore Business Machines
                   1200 Wilson Drive
                   West Chester, PA 19380

Be sure to specify the name of the item you are ordering and include your
name and address.

These materials are provided as is.  In the past we have provided free
upgrades; however, this is not a policy.  Given the scale of the upgrades,
generally it is not financially feasible to send the materials out free
of charge.

Other new services are available to parties who can demonstrate an ability
to produce and market a product, or reach a large audience (for example a
university).  If you call 215/431-9180 or write us, we will send you an
application.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (07/16/86)

If I might add some perspective to the following flame :

robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu posted the following  :

> ***FLAME ON***
>
> I have several friends who were lucky enough to buy the Commodore RKM when
> it was still possible to get it from Amiga dealers.  For $24.95 they got
> a manual thicker than the Oakland White Pages and complete with all the
> information anyone could possibly ever want out of it.
>
> I was not so fortunate, however, and I have been waiting anxiously for the
> Addison-Wesley version so I could commence with some serious DEVELOPMENT.
> Until now I have only been able to use my Amiga to show all the demos to my
> friends.  I have just patiently been watching the source code posted to the
> net and thinking about how nice it would be to have some idea about what
> was going on.
>
> So the local bookstore finally received something from Addison-Wesley that
> claimed to be a Rom Kernal Manual.  The price was the same--$24.95--but
> there was only a tiny part of the original manual!  The book covers
> Exec, which is necessary knowledge for making programs behave well in the
> Amiga environment, but which is useless if you don't have the necessary
> information to make the programs in the first place!
>
> The back cover promises a second part to the RKM, Libraries and Devices, or
> something, which will presumably be available for $24.95 as well.  After
> spending $50.00 I will only have about two thirds of the information in the
> original RKM.  I suppose the missing stuff will be provided for an additional
> $24.95 eventually.
>
> So, whenever that day appears (hopefully before the Amiga gets obsoleted by
> the next generation of micros), I will have spent $75.00 to get what my
> friends got for $25.00 way back when the Amiga software market was an
> uncluttered open field.
>
> Then, hopefully, I will still have the desire to develop software for the
> machine.
>
> ARPA:	robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu
> USENET:	ucbvax!ernie!robinson

Please Mr. Robinson do not take this personally I use your flame only
because it is typical of some whining that has increased in  volume of
late.

When the Amiga came out back in October of 1985 there really was no
reason for "casual" users to buy it. It had no software, and was in
general quite unusable for anything but development. It was also at
the highest price it would probably ever be. I bought one, knowing
that the price would go down, because I wanted to write code for
it and get a 6-9 month jump on most everyone else who couldn't see
how amazing this machine is and how great its potential. And I paid
for those 6 months. Now if someone buys an Amiga today, the same
system I have (512K, extra drive etc), they will have spent $500
less on the hardware than I did. If they by the Addison Wesly
(sp) manual set they will spend about $150 more on manuals than I did,
however,  they are *STILL* $350 ahead. As a side note, in case you didn't
know, you can still buy the $100 manual set (developers, amigados,
RKM Vol I & II, etc) from commodore, but I will warn you now that
there are things in the Addison Wesley ones that aren't in the 1.1
manuals. So you are probably better off with the A-W ones. So please
put your comments in perspective. Thanks,

--Chuck

Disclaimer : These are my own opinions etc.
{ihnp4,decwrl}!sun!cmcmanis
a "professi

kim@mips.UUCP (07/17/86)

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

> So the local bookstore finally received something from Addison-Wesley that
> claimed to be a Rom Kernal Manual.  The price was the same--$24.95--but
> there was only a tiny part of the original manual!  The book covers
> Exec, which is necessary knowledge for making programs behave well in the
> Amiga environment, but which is useless if you don't have the necessary
> information to make the programs in the first place!

The 2nd Addison-Wesley RKM manual is also out now (came in yesterday at
the Computer Literacy Bookstore in Sunnyvale).  I too expected it would
be about the same size as the other RKM (and other two A-W manuals), but
it is NOT!

The "Amiga ROM Kernel Manual: Libraries and Devices" is about 3-times the
thickness of the RKM: Exec manual.  Combined, these are *approximately* the
thickness of the "real" CBM 2-vol set;  they still seem a little bit thinner,
though.

I dunno what (if anything) was omitted ... could be just a change in the
type style/density.

> The back cover promises a second part to the RKM, Libraries and Devices, or
> something, which will presumably be available for $24.95 as well.

Nope.  It's about $10.00 more ... $34.95, if I remember correctly.

> So, whenever that day appears (hopefully before the Amiga gets obsoleted by
> the next generation of micros), I will have spent $75.00 to get what my
> friends got for $25.00 way back when the Amiga software market was an
> uncluttered open field.

I dunno what they got for $25.00, but it sure wasn't the full documentation
package ... or even the v1.0 single vol RKM manual, so far as I know.

What I'd like to know is what level of s/w these RKM's are for ... v1.1,
v1.2, or something "in-between".  There are NO cards for updates in them,
either ... where/how will NEW information be made available?

/kim
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   408-720-1700 x231

rossi@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Lisa Rossi) (07/18/86)

In article <559@mips.UUCP> kim@mips.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

>What I'd like to know is what level of s/w these RKM's are for ... v1.1,
>v1.2, or something "in-between".  There are NO cards for updates in them,
>either ... where/how will NEW information be made available?

The Addison-Wesley RKM's are for V1.1 of the Amiga System Software.
There will be new manuals published for V1.2 and they will probably
not be free.

Having looked though the new Addison-Wesley version of the RKM's I
can say that they are very close to the 2 volume set that Commodore
is shipping.  In fact, the new RKM's contain information that
the original 2 volume set does not have (ie. a few more examples,
clipboard device).

Lisa Rossi-Siracusa		Commodore Business Machines
				uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!rossi
				arpa: cbmvax!rossi@seismo.css.GOV
				or    rossi@cbmvax.UUCP@{seismo|harvard}
				tel : (215) 431-9180

slb@helm.UUCP (San Barr lying around @ The Beach) (07/20/86)

[Eat This!]

Before flaming at the fact that you have to spend $75 for 3 manuals dealing
with the Amiga.  First think of what you're getting?  The developer's
manuals that your friends bought was probably for version 1.0 or earlier
(most of the 'C' source examples didn't work! And the documentation was
HORRIBLE.. well.. not that bad.  But I've seen better).  The Addison
Wesley manuals have been cleaned up considerably!

If you were a developer you would have been greeted by the new 1.1 RKM's
... not one but TWO volumes large!  So if you were to buy these manuals
from your local dealer you'd be spending about $50 or so since the two
RKM's are each the size of the original single volume.  The extra $25 your
spending is for distribution, revisions, and tons of little modifications..
I'd say you're not doing to badly.

Now.. for the small fee of $450 you could buy yourself a developer's pkg
and stop fussing.

San

I disclaim everything... including my existance.

P.S. Sorry to bore you folks on the net...  Ah, question.  Is anyone having
trouble with terminal emulation under 1.2?

stever@videovax.UUCP (Steven E. Rice) (07/21/86)

In article <14873@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, Michael Robinson
(robinson@shadow.Berkeley.EDU) writes:

> . . .

> So the local bookstore finally received something from Addison-Wesley that
> claimed to be a Rom Kernal Manual.  The price was the same--$24.95--but
> there was only a tiny part of the original manual!  The book covers
> Exec, which is necessary knowledge for making programs behave well in the
> Amiga environment, but which is useless if you don't have the necessary
> information to make the programs in the first place!
>
> The back cover promises a second part to the RKM, Libraries and Devices, or
> something, which will presumably be available for $24.95 as well.  After
> spending $50.00 I will only have about two thirds of the information in the
> original RKM.  I suppose the missing stuff will be provided for an additional
> $24.95 eventually.

> . . .

I just bought the _RKM: Libraries and Devices_ for $34.95 -- but it is about
twice the weight of the first volume.  By the pound, it's a *much* better
buy!

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever