[net.micro.amiga] 30 disks now available

fnf@well.UUCP (07/23/86)

[---]

Hello everyone!  First of all, note that this is not yet my new permanent
net address.  I've recently relocated to sunny Arizona, and there must
be at least half a dozen people out here that have heard of usenet :-).
Anyway, I'm working on my new employer, so hopefully we'll have a reliable
net connection in the next few weeks.

With moving and all, Amiga library things have fallen somewhat into disarray.
I apologize to all that might have been affected.  If you are still owed some
disks, you should receive them in the mail in the next few days.

Since it's been quite a while since the last posting, and judging by the
number of requests I get for listings of the contents of the earlier disks,
I have decided to repost the listing of the contents of the entire library
at this time.  It appears that our favorite machine is picking up a lot of
new users!

WHAT'S AVAILABLE
----------------

There are "do-nothing-useful" examples of various capabilities of the
AMIGA, real development tools, editors, languages, games, and other
odds & ends.  Also included are machine readable form of many of the
examples (received directly from C-A sources) out of the official
AMIGA manuals, including the 1.1 ROM Kernel Manual.

HOW TO OBTAIN DISKS
-------------------

First, check with your local dealers and user groups.  Many already have
the earlier disks.  Since these disks can be copied freely, and widespread
distribution is encouraged, they propagate out to central distribution
points fairly quickly.

If you just can't wait, or can't find copies locally, I am willing to
make these disks available for the cost of media, mailing materials,
postage, and miscellaneous expenses (like wear and tear on my drives).
My goal is to get as much software as possible into the hands of people
that can use and enhance it, and make the AMIGA the success it deserves
to be.

Each disk contains all source necessary to recreate the executables
provided.  All programs are currently compiled with the latest Lattice C
and/or Manx C compiler available at the time of release.  In a very few
cases (noted in the description) the code will not compile or run for some
reason, but was considered interesting enough to include anyway.  Almost
all executables are known to run on the latest kickstart/workbench
combination available at time of release.

Disks are typically 85 to 95 percent full.

HOW TO ORDER
------------
To order, send a list of the disks you want, and $10 per disk, to:

	Fred Fish		*******************************************
	1346 W. 10th Place	* Note address change since last posting! *
	Tempe, Az  85281	*******************************************

	(602) 921-1113    (Sorry, I can only return calls collect.)

Time and other jobs permitting, all disks will be mailed via first class
mail within 5 days of receipt of order.  (Tips may help speed the process :-)

Feel free to order more the the current number of disks available.  Excess
funds will be placed "in escrow" (refundable at any time) and drawn against
for automatic mailings of future disks as they become available.  I hope
to add at least two to four disks per month to the library.  Given that I
have a database of about 300Mb of freely distributable software to
draw upon, that should be a fairly easy goal to accomplish.

DISTRIBUTION CRITERIA
---------------------

To the best of my knowledge, materials in this library are freely
redistributable.  This means that they have met one or more of the
following conditions:

(1)	The materials contains explicit copyright notices permitting
	redistribution.

(2)	The materials were posted to a publically accessible electronic
	bulletin board and did not contain any copyright notice.
	(Such materials will be removed if it is subsequently shown
	that copyright notices were illegally removed.)

(3)	The materials were posted to a widely disseminated electronic
	network (such as usenet), thus implying that their author/poster
	intended them to be freely distributed.  This applies only if
	they contain no notice limiting distribution.

(4)	The materials contain an explicit notice placing them in the
	public domain.  This is not the same as condition (1).

Itemized contents of disks 1-30 follows, in reverse order for
the benefit of those that already have early releases.

CONTENTS OF DISK 30
-------------------

Note that the programs on this disk are all shareware/freeware.
This means that if you find them useful, you are morally obligated
to send a small donation to the author to help support his efforts and
fund further development.  I hope that by including them in this
library I have furthered the author's goals of widest possible
distribution and thus maximum return.  Also note (for those that
like to split hairs) that I am distributing this disk as a "freebee".
To receive a copy, just request it when ordering any other disks from
the library.

Bbs		A BBS for the Amiga (BBS-Amiga Version 1.1).
		Author:  Ewan Grantham
		Author's suggested shareware donation:  $25

FineArt		This is a collection of works from some of the best
		of current Amiga artists.  Many thanks to Jim Sachs,
		Sheryl Knowles, Jack Haeger, and Aegis Development
		for submissions.

FontEditor	Does what the name implies, edits font's.
		Author:  Tim Robinson
		Author's suggested shareware donation: $5

MenuEditor	Create and edit menus, saving the result as either
		a binary file for further editing or as C source for
		inclusion in a program.
		Author:  David Pehrson
		Author's suggested shareware donation: $15

StarTerm	Starterm version 3.0.  Very nice telecommunications
		program.
		Author:  Jim Nangano
		Author's suggested shareware donation: $20

CONTENTS OF DISK 29
-------------------

AegisDrawDemo	Demo disk of the Aegis Draw program.  This is the
		actual production program with only the "save" feature
		disabled and without documentation (intentionally).
		Very impressive program!  Received directly from
		Aegis Development.

Cc		Version of the Unix like C compiler frontend program,
		for Manx C.  Previous released version was for Lattice C.
		Author:  Fred Fish

Enough		A new CLI execute file command that tests for various
		system resources such as available memory or existance
		of specific files, directories, or devices.
		Author:  Bruce Barrett @ Commodore-Amiga

Player		Animation player for Aegis Animator.  Received directly
		from Aegis Development.

Rubik		An animated Rubik's cube program based on Barry Whitebook's
		"amiga3d" program and Raymond Brand's "skewb" program.
		Author:  Bill Kinnersley

StringLib	A public domain reimplementation of the Unix string
		library functions.
		Author:  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto

Vt100		A vt100 emulator program with Kermit and Xmodem file
		transfer protocols (based on AmigaTerm).
		Author:  Dave Wecker

CONTENTS OF DISK 28
-------------------

Backgammon	Another game in AbasiC by the author of Monopoly.
		Author:  David Addison

Cpp		This is a copy of the Decus cpp, ported to the Amiga.
		This cpp is more powerful and complete than either of
		the built in cpp's in Manx or Lattice C.  Also included
		is a modified version of the Unix like cc frontend, for
		Manx C, that knows about the cpp.
		Author:  cpp by Martin Minow;  cc by Fred Fish

Cribbage	Another game in AbasiC by the author of Monopoly.
		Author:  David Addison

MileStone	Another game in AbasiC by the author of Monopoly.
		Author:  David Addison

Othello		Another game in AbasiC by the author of Monopoly.
		Author:  David Addison

Shar		A program which can pack and unpack archives compatible
		with the Unix "shar" (shell archiver) program.
		Author:  Dave Wecker

SuperBitMap	An example program that shows how to use ScrollLayer,
		how to sync the SuperBitMap prior to printing, and how
		to create a dummy rastport for dumping the SuperBitMap.
		Works under 1.2 and up.
		Author:  Carolyn Scheppner and Phil Lindsay

CONTENTS OF DISK 27
-------------------

ABdemos		Amiga Basic demos.  NewConvertFD creates .bmaps from
		fd files.  BitPlanes finds addresses of and writes to
		bitplanes of the screen's bitmap.  AboutBmaps is a
		tutorial on creation and use of bmaps.  LoadILBM loads
		and displays IFF ILBM pics.  LoadACBM loads and displays
		ACBM pics.  ScreenPrint creates a demo screen and dumps
		it to a graphic printer.
		Author:  Carolyn Scheppner, Commodore-Amiga

Disassem	A simple 68000 disassembler.  Reads standard Amiga
		object files and disassembles the code sections.
		Data sections are dumped in hex.  The actual disassember
		routines are set up to be callable from a user program
		so instructions in memory can be disassembled dynamically.
		Author:  Bill Rogers, Univ of WAIKATO (New Zealand)

DvorakKeymap	Example of a keymap structure for the Dvorak keyboard
		layout.  Untested but included because assembly examples
		are few and far between.
		Author: Robert Burns @ Commodore-Amiga

Hypocycloids	An electronic Spirograph inspired by an article in
		Feb '84 Byte.
		Author: Terry Gintz

LinesDemo	A demo program which illustrates the use of proportional
		gadgets to scroll around in a superbitmap window.
		Posted to usenet by Barry Whitebook @ Commodore-Amiga

MemExpansion	Schematics and directions for building your own homebrew
		1 Mb memory expansion.
		Author: Michael Fellinger

SafeMalloc	Ever have a program that corrupts it's own memory?  Well,
		this little gem can help you find the problem in a hurry.
		Acts as an interface between your program and the real
		malloc, checking for overrun, underrun, and duplicate
		freeing of malloc'd space.
		Author: Bjorn Benson, modifications by Fred Fish

ScienceDemos	Some science demos.  Sidereal is a tutorial program which
		introduces the user to the relationships between Julian
		and calendar dates and solar and sidereal times.  J2000
		is a utility program which converts stellar positions,
		proper motion, parallax and radial velocity from the
		standard epoch B1950 (FK4) to epoch J2000 (FK5).  Galilean
		is a tutorial program which determines the position of
		the Galilean satellites relative to Jupiter.
		Programs courtesy of David Eagle at Science Software.

CONTENTS OF DISK 26
-------------------

UnHunk		Tool to process the Amiga "hunk" loadfile format.
		Collects code, data, and bss hunks together, allows
		individual specification of code, data, and bss origins,
		and generates binary file with format reminiscent of Unix
		"a.out" format.  The output file can be easily processed
		by a separate program to produce Motorola "S-records"
		suitable for downloading to PROM programmer.
		Author:  Eric Black

C-kermit	Port of the popular "kermit" program, a flexible
		virtual terminal and file transfer program from
		Columbia University.
		Author:  Unknown, ported to Amiga by Davide Cervone

Ps		A program to display process priorities and another
		program to set a process's priority to any arbitrary
		valid value.  Very useful to provide finer control
		over your multitasking environment.
		Author:  Dewi Williams

Archx		Yet more programs for bundling up text files and
		mailing or posting them as a single file unit.
		Author: Martin Minow

CONTENTS OF DISK 25
-------------------

This disk contains a port (executables only) of the popular UNIX game
"Hack", courtesy of John Toebes, 120 H Northington Pl, Cary NC. 27511.
This is Version 1.0.1E., with graphics enhancements for the Amiga.

CONTENTS OF DISK 24
-------------------

Conquest	You control an interstellar empire, decide which star
		systems to explore, which planets to colonize, etc.
		The computer will also be building its own empire
		and competing with you for resources.  The one with
		the greatest population at the end wins.  First
		distributed in executable form only on disk number
		10.  This distribution includes source.
		Author:  Unknown, ported to Amiga by Rob Shimbo

Csh		Second release of a csh-like alternative to the
		CLI, first released on disk number 14.  Has alias,
		builtin functions like "dir" for speed, history,
		named variables, command re-execution with
		substitution, etc.
		Author: Matt Dillon

Modula-2	A pre-release version of the single pass Modula-2
		compiler originally developed for MacIntosh at ETHZ.
		This code was transmitted to the AMIGA and is executed
		on the AMIGA using a special loader.  Binary only.

CONTENTS OF DISK 23
-------------------

This disk contains a significantly enhanced version of microemacs based
on the version 30 release posted to usenet's mod.sources newsgroup.

Previous versions of microemacs released on these disks derived from
a very old version of microemacs.  Since that old release, the author
has cleaned up lots of loose ends and restructured major parts of the code.
Other people have already added support for termcap, ports to other machines
and operating systems, and a limited GNU emacs compatibility option.

Because recipients of this disk might wish to run this new microemacs
on other machines in addition to the Amiga, I have encluded all sources
that were available to me at the time of release.  The subdirectories
which give alternate implementations are:

	Sys/Vms		System modules for VAX VMS
	Sys/Atari	System modules for Atari ST
	Sys/Msdos	System modules for MSDOS
	Sys/Cpm86	System modules for Cpm
	Sys/Amiga	System modules for Amiga
	Sys/Ultrix	System modules for Ultrix/BSD4.2
	Sys/SysV	System modules for Unix System V
	Tty/Atari	Terminal driver for Atari ST
	Tty/7300	Terminal driver for AT&T Unix PC (7300)
	Tty/Intuition	Terminal driver for Amiga using Intuition
	Tty/Termcap	Terminal driver using termcap for Unix
	Tty/Ansi	Terminal driver using Ansi codes
	Tty/Amigados	Terminal driver for Amiga using just Amigados
	Tty/Heath	Terminal driver for a Heath terminal

There currently is a major effort underway on usenet, led by Dave
Brower, to standardize microemacs and bring the many variations under
one common implementation.  Please send any enhancements to rtech!daveb,
or send them to me and I will see that he gets them.

CONTENTS OF DISK 22
-------------------

This disk contains two new "strains" of microemacs, both derived from
early releases of Dave Conroy's microemacs.  There is currently an
attempt on usenet, lead by Dave Brower, to coordinate an effort to
merge features from the different versions into a single supported
microemacs.  In the meantime, perhaps you can find a feature you need
in one of these...

Lemacs		Microemacs version 3.6 as enhanced and supported
		by Daniel Lawrence.  This version works and has been
		tested on Unix V7, BSD 4.2, Amiga, MS-DOS, and VMS.
		Enhancements include overwrite mode, support for Amiga
		function keys, reverse video status line, numeric
		arguments using <ESC><number>, replace, buffer specific
		editing modes, word wrap mode, goto-line, buffer rename,
		insert-file, execute named command, describe bindings,
		startup files, and more.
		Author: Dave Conroy, enhancements by Daniel Lawrence

Pemacs		Microemacs as enhanced by Andy Poggio.  New features
		include use of <ALT> keys as Meta keys, default buffers
		on buffer switch, mouse support, higher priority to
		improve interactive response, creation of backup files,
		paragraph fill, word wrap, query replace, and support for
		function keys.
		Author: Dave Conroy, enhancements by Daniel Lawrence

CONTENTS OF DISK 21
-------------------

This is a copy of Thomas Wilcox's Mandelbrot Set Explorer disk.

	It is unchanged except for:

		1)	The volume name has been changed to AmigaLibDisk21.
		2)	This file (README.list21) has been added.
		3)	The standard library README file README.dist
			has been added.

	To run from CLI:

		1)	cd dfX:  (where X is drive containing disk)
		2)	mse

	To run from Workbench:

		1)	Click on MSD icon.

	It contains extensive on-line help information, unlike other
	Mandelbrot programs distributed in this library.  It also is
	capable of displaying some very pretty hi-res pictures in
	interlace mode.

CONTENTS OF DISK 20
-------------------

AmigaToAtari	Source code for an Amiga to Atari ST object code format
		converter.  Takes Amiga objects as input and produces
		Atari objects as output.  This allows the Amiga to be
		used as a cross development machine providing the
		proper libraries are available.  (Currently does not
		work, but I don't have an ST to try it with anyway...)
		Author: Landon Dyer at Atari Corp.

DiskSalv	Program to recover files from a trashed AmigaDOS disk.
		Can also "undelete" files deleted by mistake, so long
		as they have not overwritten by further disk activity.
		Requires two disk drives.  VERY useful...
		Author: Dave Haynie

Hash		Small example program that computes the AmigaDOS directory
		hash function.
		Author: Neil Katin at Commodore-Amiga

Hd		Hex dump utility using some ideas from Mike Higgin's
		article in Computer Language magazine, Apr 86.
		Formats the dump based on the natural byte ordering
		of the machine on which it runs.
		Author: David Elins at NEC Information Systems

MandelBrots	Some mandelbrot images submitted for the "mandelbrot
		images contest" some months ago.  Only three people
		submitted mandelbrots and these were among the most
		interesting.

MultiTasking	Tutorial and example program for multitasking at the Exec
		level.
		Author: Leo L. Schwab

Pack		Program to strip extraneous whitespace from C programs
		or header files.  Can be used to condense the C compiler
		header files to free up disk space.
		Author: Jeff Dickson

PortHandler
		Author: A sample Port-Handler program that performs
		the functions of the standard Port-Handler.  Shows what
		the BCPL environment looks like from the handler point of
		view.
		Author: John Toebus VIII

Random		Random number generator in assembly.  Much faster than
		versions using floating point.  Can be used by either
		assembly or C programs.
		Author: Steve Beats at Commodore-Amiga

SetMouse2	Program to set the mouse port to either the left port or
		right port.
		Author: Robert Burns at Commodore-Amiga

SpeechTerm	Terminal emulator that can speak the received text.
		Also has XMODEM file transfer.
		Author: Leftheris Koutsofios

Ted		Demo version of an editor that has since been
		renamed as TxEd (I believe).
		Author: Charles Heath at MicroSmiths

CONTENTS OF DISK 19
-------------------

BlackJack	A line oriented (no graphics) blackjack game.
		Author: Unknown

JayMinerSlides	These are the Amiga slides produced/used by Jay Miner
		(the designer of Amiga's custom graphics chips) in his
		talks about the Amiga.  They are all hi-res (640 x 400)
		and are best displayed on a long-persistence color
		monitor.

Keymap_Test	A program to test the keymapping routines and find
		possible bugs.  Useful as an example of keymapping.
		Author: Pushpa Kumar

LockMon		Find file locks.  Useful for discovering if programs
		properly clean up after themselves.
		Author: Dewi Williams

CONTENTS OF DISK 18
-------------------

AmigaDisplay	Yet another variation of a terminal emulator program.
		This is a modified AmigaTerm that can emulate a dumb
		terminal (interesting paradox here somewhere...), translate
		line termination sequences, optionally capture or discard
		control characters in the captured file, use audible bell,
		use another font, etc.
		Author: Don Woods (Original code by Michael Mounier)

Ash		Prerelease version of a C-shell like shell program.
		Has history, command substitution, loops, etc.
		Author: Thorn Smith

Browser		A program that lets you wander around a file tree and
		peek into files, all with the mouse.
		Author: Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer

MC68010		Complete information package for upgrading an Amiga
		to use an MC68010 in place of the MC68000.  Includes
		a software fix that makes this transparent to user
		programs that use instructions that are priviledged
		on the 68010.
		Author: Thad Floryan

Multidim	Lets you rotate a 2 to 6 dimensional "cube" on the
		screen using the joystick.
		Author: Robert French

PigLatin	Tired of the "say" command?  This one will translate
		and speak your input in pig latin!
		Author: Thomas Clement

Scrimper	Short for "SCReen IMage PrintER".  A screen dump utility
		which can be run from the workbench or the CLI.
		Author: Perry Kivolowitz

Xlisp1.6	A very nice little lisp for those that want to study the
		internals of a real, working lisp interpreter.
		Author: Dave Betz

CONTENTS OF DISK 17
-------------------

This is a copy of a H.A.M. (Hold And Modify) graphics demo disk received
from a vendor that is producing hardware to capture such images, and
software to process them.  It is unchanged except for:

	1)	The volume name has been changed to AmigaLibDisk17.
	2)	This file (README.list17) has been added.
	3)	The standard library README file README.dist
		has been added.
	4)	The 'showilbm' program has been added to allow viewing
		of the two monochrome pictures (dozer.hires and robert.lores)
		without requiring Deluxe Paint.
	5)	The supplied 'readme' file has been augmented with
		information received on hardcopy along with the disk, and
		a note has been added about how to use the showilbm
		program.

CONTENTS OF DISK 16
-------------------

This is a copy of the Amiga Developer's IFF disk, received directly from
Commodore-Amiga sources, with permission to place in the library and
redistribute.  It is unchanged except for:

	1)	The volume name has been changed to AmigaLibDisk16.
	2)	This file (README.list16) has been added.
	3)	The standard library README file README.dist
		has been added.

CONTENTS OF DISK 15
-------------------

Blobs		A simple graphics program, reminiscent of the unix "worms"
		program, but in color of course.
		Author: Peter Engelbrite

Clock		A simple digital clock program designed to be small and to
		live completely in the screen title bar, where it is out
		of the way.
		Author: Mike Meyer

Dazzle		An eight-fold symmetry dazzler program.  Really pretty!
		Author: Peter Engelbrite

Fish		"A demo program which runs an AnimOb in a double buffered
		screen with sequence cycled animation".  (Basically
		shows a fish "swimming" across the top of the screen).
		Author: Catherine Wagner (posted by Barry Whitebook)

Monopoly	A really nice monopoly game written in AbasiC.
		Follow the directions in the file "InstallationGuide"
		to produce a bootable games disk.
		Author: David Addison

OkidataDump	Okidata ML92 driver and WorkBench screen dump program.
		Does both alpha and graphics.  Untested (I don't have the
		printer).
		Author: Raimund Gluecker

Polydraw	A drawing program written in AbasiC.
		Author: David Addison

Polyfractals	A fractal program written in AbasiC.
		Author: David Addison

CONTENTS OF DISK 14
-------------------

This disk contains the first ever public release of two new pieces of
code, "dex" and "termcap".  Also, this is the first disk in the library
that includes executables produced with both the Manx and Lattice C
compilers, whenever possible.  This greatly helps to isolate bugs.

amiga3d		Shows a rotating 3 dimensional solid "AMIGA" sign.
		This is an updated version of the program released
		on disk number 12, and now includes full source.
		Author: Barry Whitebook @ Commodore-Amiga

beep		Source for a function that generates a beep sound, like
		CTRL-G on a VT100 terminal.
		Author: Samuel Dicker @ Commodore-Amiga

dex		Program to extract documentation in a human readable
		format inside source files, and produce nroff style
		output for manuals and other such external documents.
		First ever public release.
		Author: Fred Fish

dimensions	Programs to demonstrate three and four dimensional graphics.
		Not quite sure how else to describe them!
		Author: Anselm Hook

filezap		An updated version of the file zap utility first released
		on disk number 10.  Can be used to patch any type of
		file.  Nice, and VERY useful.
		Author: John Hodgson

gfxmem		An updated version of the graphical memory display
		program first released on disk number 1.  Watch your
		machine's memory usage change dynamically under use!
		Author: Louis Mamakos

gi		Converts DPaint brush files to C source files "necessary
		to create an Image structure, including height, width,
		depth, and color information, as well as the array of
		data which represents the bit planes of the image".
		Author: Mike Farren

pdterm		A simple terminal emulator that does ANSI or DEC VT-100
		emulation in 80 cols by 25 lines.  Version 1.21.
		Author: Michael McInerny

shell		A simple csh style shell with history and some other
		goodies.  Still needs some polishing and enhancement,
		but is quite nice as it.  Thanks Matt!!!  We've really
		needed something like this for a long time.  Now if you
		would just do a ksh version instead...
		Author: Matt Dillon

termcap		A (mostly) unix compatible implementation of a termcap
		library.  First ever public release.
		Author: Fred Fish

CONTENTS OF DISK 13
-------------------

This disk is a grab bag of basic programs, mostly untested.
Some are for AbasiC and some are for Microsoft Basic.
No speekee basic so if these don't work, call someone else.

CONTENTS OF DISK 12
-------------------

Note that this disk contains a number of programs apparently available
only in executable form.  I am not real happy with this trend, but
had no way of getting in contact with the authors who posted these
programs to various BBS's to request source.  I have no reason to
believe that any of these executable only postings contain any
deliberate "misfeatures", but you should always use such programs
cautiously.

amiga3d		Shows a rotating 3 dimensional solid "Amiga sign".
		No source available, executable only (downloaded from
		a Denver BBS)
		Author: Barry (bart) Whitebook of C-A

ArgoTerm	Yet another terminal emulator program.  However, this
		one is written in macro assembler, so should be of
		interest to anyone doing serious assembly language
		development.  Version 0.20
		Author: Jez San

arrow3d		Shows a rotating 3 dimensional wire frame arrow.
		Author: Steve Beats of C-A

ld4		Another directory listing program using some graphics
		style output.  Executable only, no source available.
		(Downloaded from a Denver BBS)
		Author: unknown

IconExec	Tools which allow execution of a program from an
		icon without having to recompile the program.
		Author: John Toebes VIII

images		Miscellaneous DPaint and digitized pictures, in iff
		format.  Some are rated R.

SetAlternate	Merge the images from two icons to produce one icon with
		a primary image, and a possibly completely different image
		to display when selected.
		Author: John Toebes VIII

StarTerm	Another terminal emulator program.  ASCII and XMODEM
		support, telephone dialer, function keys, load file
		stripping, text file conversion, full/half duplex,
		Author: Jim Nangano and Steve Plegge

CONTENTS OF DISK 11
-------------------

dpslide		A slide show program for displaying graphic images
		which are in the iff format, such as output from the
		Electronic Arts Deluxe Paint program.  Allows the user
		to select the display time for each slide and the method
		of bringing the slide up to the screen, and then removing
		it.  Double buffers images to improve smoothness of
		display.  Executable only, no source available.
		Author: Paul Biondo

pictures	Miscellaneous DPaint and digitized pictures, in iff
		format.  CAUTION: Some are rated R.

CONTENTS OF DISK 10
-------------------

conquest	You control an interstellar empire, decide which star
		systems to explore, which planets to colonize, etc.
		The computer will also be building its own empire and
		competing with you for resources.  The one with the
		greatest population at the end wins.  Executable only,
		no source.  Downloaded from Denver BBS.
		Author: Unknown, ported to Amiga by Rob Shimbo

dehex		Simple little program to convert hex format file into
		a binary file.  Reads lines of hex characters on stdin
		and writes 8 bit dehex'd bytes to stdout.
		Author: Fred Fish

filezap		Patch program for any type of file.  Executable only,
		no source available.
		Author: John Hodgson

fixobj		Strip extraneous garbage off end of object files
		transfered with xmodem.  Does not require preknowledge
		of actual file length, uses knowledge of Amiga file
		structure.
		Author: John Hodgson

iff		Routines to read and write iff format files.  Includes
		program to display iff files made by DPaint.  Also
		see the DPSlide program on disk 11.
		Author: Jerry Morrison, Steve Shaw, and Steve Hayes

ld		I presume this stands for "list directory".  Lists
		contents of specified diretory or disk, using inverse
		video and colors to group objects by type.
		Author: Dave Haynie

ls		Minimal implementation of UNIX ls.  Demonstrates
		use of UNIX style filename pattern matching code.
		Author: Rick Schaeffer

sq.usq		Squeeze and unsqueeze, from the CPM world.  Works, but
		"compress" from disk 6 runs almost twice as fast and
		produces even smaller files.
		Author: R. Greenlaw, Amiga port by Rick Schaeffer

trek73		A Star Trek game.  This one is just crying out to
		be Amiga'ized by some ambitious hacker.
		Authors:  Many, see comment in main.c

yachtc		Dice game.
		Author: Sheldon Leemon

CONTENTS OF DISK 9
------------------

moire		Draws moire patterns in black and white in a borderless
		backdrop window.  Currently only runs with Lattice C
		version 3.02, when compiled with 3.03 crashes the system.
		Author: Scott Ballantyne

MVP-FORTH	Mountain View Press Forth, version 1.00.03A.
		A shareware version of forth from Fantasia Systems.
		Runable from the workbench, comes with icons and
		such.  If you use this, you should send a contribution
		to Fantasia Systems / Mountain View Press.

proff		Another text formatting program.  This one is significantly
		more powerful than any of the others previously distributed
		on these disks.

setlace		Program to toggle interlace mode on and off.
		When used with a black background, and amber or green
		characters, produces a nice CLI environment.
		Author: Bob Pariseau,  Nov 85

skewb		Not quite sure what this is supposed to be, it was
		downloaded from a bbs with no documentation.  C'mon
		folks, at least put a three line description at the
		start of your programs!
		Author: Raymond S. Brand

sparks		Graphics demo that draws a "moving pathway", adding
		to the front and removing from the tail (sure is
		hard to come up with verbal descriptions of these
		things!).
		Author: Scott Ballantyne

CONTENTS OF DISK 7 & 8
----------------------

disk7		The "Hack" games disk, derived from sources on disk 8.
		Version 1.0.1.  This also contains some icons and other files
		that are not reproducable from the contents of the source
		disk (number 8), so number 7 and number 8 should really be
		ordered as a set.  Both disks are almost full.  It's huge!
		Courtesy of John Toebes, 120 H Northington Pl, Cary NC. 27511.

disk8		Contains the source to "Hack", a popular UNIX game ported
		to the AMIGA by John Toebes.  Please read all the associated
		README files before redistributing with changes.  Also, if you
		appreciate John's work, help support it by sending a small
		contribution.
		Courtesy of John Toebes, 120 H Northington Pl, Cary NC. 27511.

CONTENTS OF DISK 6
------------------

compress	Compress reduces the size of the named files using
		adaptive Lempel-Ziv coding.  The amount of compression
		obtained depends on the size of the input, the number of
		bits per code, and the distribution of common substrings.
		Typically, text such as source code or English is reduced
		by 50-60%.  Compression is generally much better then that
		achieved by Huffman coding (as used in "pack") or
		adaptive Huffman coding (as used in "compact"), and takes
		less time to compute.  Great for saving disk space, or
		reducing transmission time over phone lines!  Also includes
		"btoa" and "atob" for converting binary files to ascii, and
		then back to binary (for transmission over links that do
		not support 8 bits).
		Author: Thomas Spencer, with improvements by others

dadc		A digital computer impersonating an analog clock
		impersonating a digital clock.
		Author: Perry S. Kivolowitz

microemacs	An upgraded version of microemacs originally distributed
		on disk number 2.  I don't have an exact list of changes
		but the new executable is about 25% larger, so there must
		be something in there!  One enhancement is that some
		functions are now also bound to function keys.
		Author: Dave Conroy, with enhancements by Jack Roose.

mult		Mult reads the input comparing adjacent lines.  In the
		normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated
		lines are output, and the remainder of the lines are
		removed.  Repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be
		found.  Options are present to output the first of multiple
		lines, for comparing adjacent lines by field only, and for
		specifying the field separator character.  Kind of the
		opposite of the Unix "uniq" program.
		Author: Dennis Bednar

scales		Demonstrates use of the Audio functions in the ROM to
		produce four voice sound.  It uses a simple waveform
		(sawtooth) with no amplitude control (ie, envelope)
		or frequency variation (ie, vibrato), but these can be
		easily implemented.  Also includes considerable
		documentation on audio device.
		Author: Steven A. Bennett

setparallel	Allows the CLI user to dynamically change any particular
		parallel port parameter.
		Author: Keith Stobie and Tom Pohorsky

setserial	Allows the CLI user to dynamically change any particular
		serial port parameter.
		Author: Keith Stobie and Tom Pohorsky

sortc		A quicksort based sort program, using separate driver
		and sort modules.  Originally from a DECUS C distribution.
		Claims to be fast, but when operating entirely out of ram
		takes 93 seconds to sort its input file, sort.c, while
		AmigaDos's sort takes only 43 seconds under the same
		conditions.
		Author: Dave Conroy, Martin Minow, and Ray Van Tassle

stripc		Strips comments and extraneous whitespace from C source
		files.  Useful for compacting the C header files to
		increase usable disk space.
		Author: Chris Metcalf

CONTENTS OF DISK 5
------------------

cons		Console device demo program with supporting macro routines.
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

freemap		Creates a visual diagram of free memory.  Comes with
		custom icon so can be run from workbench screen.
		Author: Robert J. Mical

input.dev	In combination with hander.interface.asm (supplied),
		lets a user trap keyboard or mouse events before they
		get to Intuition and if desired, install new (phony/
		generated/other-devices-mouse-simulations) into the
		input stream.  Handler.interface.asm is needed to convert
		the calling sequence performed by the input.task for
		the input stream management into something that a
		C program can understand.
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

joystick	Shows how to set up the gameport device as a joystick.
		Reports parameters received from joystick hooked to
		right port.
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

keyboard	Sample program to demonstrate direct communications with
		the keyboard.
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

layers		Shows use of the layers library, used by Intuition to
		create windows (layers handles all overlapping drawing
		areas and keeps things straight, sending to the back,
		bringing to the front, making larger/smaller, etc.)
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

mandelbrot	Latest and greatest mandelbrot program.  New features
		include the ability to save images in "iff" format,
		for reading into Deluxe Paint or other programs that
		use iff.  Also includes code from GraphiCraft to handle
		color palette and change colors at will.  Many additions
		by RJ Mical.
		Author: Robert French

mouse		Shows how to set up the gameport device as a mouse so
		that hooking up the mouse to the right port gives access
		to mouse information.
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

one.window	Produces a window with a console attached.  Does graphics
		in the top half and limits the console activity to the
		lower half.
		Author: Rob Peck  12/18/85

parallel	Demonstrates access to the parallel port.
		Author: Tom Pohorsky  12/1/85

printer		Shows how to open and use a printer, does a screen dump
		of the workbench screen if there is a graphics-capable
		printer attached.
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

print.support	Printer support routines.  Currently won't compile,
		missing a header file "local.h".
		Author: unknown

proctest	Sample code to create a process, set up message ports,
		pass messages, etc.
		Author: Rob Peck  1/4/86

region		Demonstrates how a drawing area can be split into linked
		rectangular regions.  Draws a rectangle in a single
		playfield display, then draws "Behind a Fence" several
		times behind an apparent fence in the rectangle.
		Only works under Lattice Ver3.03.
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

samplefont	A sample font that produces clubs, hearts, spaces, and
		diamonds as its four characters.  Shows precisely what
		is contained in an Amiga font.
		Author: Unknown

serial		Demonstrates access to the serial port.  Requires an
		external terminal connected to the serial port.
		Author: Unknown

singlePlayfield	Creates and displays a 320 by 200 by 2 bit plane
		single playfield display.  Completely covers Intuition's
		display, but gives the system back at exit.
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

speechtoy	Latest and greatest version of Dave's cute speech demo
		program.  Comes with custom icon so can be run from
		a workbench screen.
		Author: Dave Lucas

speech.demo	A much simplified version of speechtoy.  Also includes
		exec support functions for extended IO requests,
		CreateExtIO() to allocate and initialize a new IO request
		block and DeleteExtIO() to free an extended IO request
		block.
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

text.demo	Sample program that asks AvailFonts() to make a list of
		the fonts that are available, then opens a window and
		then prints a description of the various attributes that
		can be applied to the fonts, in the font itself.
		Previous versions were released as "whichfont".
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

timer		Simple timer example program.  Includes dynamic
		allocation of data structures needed to communicate
		with the timer device, as well as the actual device
		IO.
		Author: Rob Peck  12/1/85

trackdisk	Demonstrates use of trackdisk driver.  Useful example of
		"raw" disk read/write.
		Author Rob Peck  12/1/85

CONTENTS OF DISK 4
------------------

banner		Prints horizontal banner (across screen).  From Decus
		C distribution of several years ago.
		Author: Unknown

bgrep		Another grep like utility, also using the Boyer-Moore
		algorithm.
		Author: Roy Mongiovi and Arnold Robbins

bison		A replacement for unix "yacc" command.  This is from
		the GNU (GNU is Not Unix) effort, and was obtained
		from the Free Software Foundation.  Compiles and
		links (with some effort) but currently crashes the
		machine.  Needs work, but will probably be worth it.
		Author: Bob Corbett and Richard Stallman

bm		A grep like utility using the Boyer-Moore algorithm.
		Author: Peter Bain

grep		Decus grep (Get Regular Expression and Print).  Useful
		for finding strings in files.
		Author: Unknown

kermit		This is an absolutely ancient kermit, who's only
		saving grace is that it is small and quite portable.
		On the AMIGA, there is no connect mode, only send and
		receive.  You must log into the remote machine via
		one of it's local terminals and point it's kermit at the
		appropriate serial line connected to the AMIGA.
		Author: Unknown, but it is so hacked up it doesn't matter
		by now.

MyCLI		Another CLI for the AMIGA.
		Author: Mike Schwartz

mandel		A Mandelbrot set program.
		Author: Robert French, with additions by RJ Mical

CONTENTS OF DISK 3
------------------

gothic		Gothic banner printer.  Prints DOWN the page, rather
		than across, so arbitrarily long banners can be
		created.  Send EOF (CTRL-\e) to end input.
		From a Decus C distribution several years ago.
		Author: unknown

roff		A "roff" type text formatter, roughly following
		"Software Tools" version.  Somewhat upwardly compatible
		with unix "nroff" command.
		Author Ken Yap

ff		A very fast text formatter, controlled exclusively by
		command line arguments.
		Author: Gary Perlman & hordes of students

cforth		A highly portable forth implementation.  Lots of goodies.
		Author: Allan Pratt

xlisp		A nice little lisp implementation.  Compiles and links
		ok, but something in the Lattice C setjmp/longjmp
		code prevents it from currently running.  Might be
		easily fixed.  Version 1.4
		Author: David Betz

CONTENTS OF DISK 2
------------------

alib		Object module librarian.
		Author: Mike Schwartz

cc		Unix-like frontend for Lattice C compiler.
		Author: Fred Fish

dbug		Macro based C debugging package.  Machine independent.
		Provides function trace, selective printing of internal
		state information, and more.
		Author: Fred Fish

make		Subset of "unix" make command.  Useful, but does not have
		many of the features of the full make, much less the newer
		"augmented make".
		Author: Landon Dyer

make2		Another make subset command.
		Author: Marc Mengel

microemacs	Small, relatively portable version of emacs.  Has
		keyboard macros.  No extension language.
		Author: Dave Conroy

portar		Portable archiver.  Used to bundle text file up into a
		single file for transmission as a unit, or otherwise
		handling as a single file.  "Portable" because the code
		itself is portable and because the archive format is
		very simple (uses ascii headers to separate files).
		From Decus C distribution.
		Author:  Martin Minow

xrf		C cross reference utility.  Originally from Decus C
		distribution.
		Author: Bob Denny

CONTENTS OF DISK 1
------------------

amigademo	Graphical benchmark for comparing amigas.
		Author: Charlie Heath (MicroSmiths)

amigaterm	Terminal emulation program with xmodem upload/download
		capability.
		Author: Michael Mounier

balls		Simulation of the "kinetic thingy" with balls on strings
		where only the end balls move (quick, can YOU come up
		with a better description?).  Anyway, cute.
		Author: Perry Kivolowitz

colorful	Shows off use of hold-and-modify mode.
		Posted to usenet by Robert Pariseau.

dhrystone	Dhrystone benchmark program.
		Author: Reinhold Weicker (Ada version)
			Rick Richardson (C version)

dotty		Source to the "dotty window" demo on the Workbench disk.
		Posted to usenet by Dale Luck.

freedraw	A small "paint" type program.  Free drawing, boxes,
		filled boxes, etc.
		Author: Rick Ross

gad		"Fun with Gadgets".  Demonstration program for use
		of gadgets.
		Author: John Draper (Aka "crunch")

gfxmem		Graphical memory usage display program.  Watch your
		machine's memory usage!  Cute and useful.
		Author: Louis Mamakos

halfbrite	Sample program that demonstrates "Extra-Half-Brite"
		mode on latter AMIGA's with new VLSI chip.  Allows
		64 colors in low-res mode, rather than 32.
		Posted to usenet by Robert Pariseau.

hello		Demonstrates creation of a simple window, "hello world".
		Posted to usenet by Eric Lavitsky.

latffp		Shows how to access the Motorola Fast Floating Point
		library from Lattice C.  Also demonstrates the tremendous
		speedup obtained.
		Author: Larry Hildenbrand

palette		Sample program for designing color palettes.
		Author: Charlie Heath

trackdisk	Demonstrates use of the trackdisk driver.  Useful example
		of "raw" disk read/write.
		Author: Rob Peck

requesters	Sample program and documentation for building and
		using requesters.  John worked REAL hard to dig out
		all the information in this one!
		Author: John Draper (aka "crunch")

speech		Sample speech demo program.  Stripped down version of
		"speechtoy".
		Author: Rob Peck

speechtoy	Another speech demo program.  Cute.  You have to see this
		one.  Be sure to click gadget that pops up the face.
		Author: David Lucas

well!fnf  (temporarily)

Fred Fish  (415) 644-1230 ext 242  ucbvax!unisoft!fnf  well!fnf