[net.micro.amiga] terminal emulation

star@fluke.UUCP (David Whitlock) (10/25/85)

Because of the fact that most Amiga users are frustrated with the fact that
its difficult to use the serial port for modem communications, I decided to
repost the Terminal Emulation Program address.

          Available in one to two weeks from:

          STROM Systems, Inc.
          PMC Center
          42189 Ann Arbor Road
          Plymouth, Michigan  48170

          Phone (313) 455-8022   ask for Dave

          Features

          VT-100, VT-52 Emulation
          Capture Text
          XModem File Transfer and possibly Kermit
          Multiple Modem Ports
          Complete Serial Port Configuration

          I've seen a Demo and it looks pretty complete.  You may want to call
          and leave you phone number, so that they can let you know when it will
          be released.

          Other tid-bits

          I've heard and not confirmed a rumor that Amiga has been sending all
          Amiga owners a new BASIC and that that basic will support all Mac-Basic
          commands.

Q.        When using workbench and other iconed-menus, I've noted as I switch
          between programs, that when I release a program, that I never seem
          to regain the original amount of free memory.  After a few switches,
          I run out of memory to run a program which ran fine just after boot-up.

Q.        Can someone from Amiga, that is on-line, post all the syntax and option
          parameters used for all of the tools used in directory 'c'.  I am
          sure that this is in the DOS manual, but their not released, and I am
          getting frustrated.

          Anywho... just got my Amiga-Tutor disk in the mail and am impressed
          with the graphics.  The Dos tutor does hang up on a 256K machine
          The Tutor is just the key to get my wife started on the Amiga.

          Good Shooting Amiga

          David Whitlock

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (07/20/86)

Okay, folks.  I'm going to present all of you with an idea that I'm
surprised no one has thought of before.  I would follow through on
this idea myself, but since I am too poor to afford an Amiga to
develop software on I'll probably never get it done.  If you like
this idea, please steal it.

It amazes me how many people are offering terminal software that
emulates only a small number of terminals, such as vt-100, vt-52,
Televideo, Hazeltine, etc.  That's like offering a text editor that
has four different sets of key bindings and allows you to choose one
of them to use.  Emacs wasn't written around that philosophy, and I
don't think a terminal program should, either.  After all, a computer
is much more intelligent than the terminal it is trying to emulate.

First off, design a terminal emulator that has a large number of
"primitives" for manipulating the display.  Give them names like
"clear-to-end-of-line", "insert-line", "scroll-region", "cursor-up",
"clear-screen", etc.  Then provide a way in which a user can bind
control-character sequences to these functions.  Preferably, you want
to offer both an interactive mode and a simple programming language
to define these bindings.  The programming language has to be able to
allow the user to specify the order and format in which the screen
manipulation commands accept their parameters, in order to
accomodate the wide variety of terminals.  This way, users can define
their OWN terminal types.  Offer a few dozen or so common terminal
types with the package, including some very powerful terminal
definitions, so that I can use something more powerful than vt-52
mode with a system that supports more, such as Unix(tm).

Now, don't stop there.  Make the keyboard totally redefinable.  Allow
me to set up a keyboard macro and bind it to any key sequence on the
keyboard, not just the function keys.  Allow me to take my favorite
key macros, give them bindings, and place them in a pull-down menu
(updated on the fly, of course--does Intuition allow you to do
something like that?).  That way, I can do things on the remote host
as easily as selecting things off a menu with a standard Amiga
application.

Next, allow me to bind keyboard macros to mouse movement and button
clicks.  This way, I can bind ^B, ^F, ^N, and ^P to the movement of
the mouse, set-mark to the left-hand button and have a mouse-based
Emacs.  An arrangement can be worked out where the mouse pointer is
used for system activity when it is needed, e.g. on the menu strip
or in requestor boxes.

Next, offer as many file transfer protocols as can be supported.
XMODEM Christiansen (sp?), XMODEM CRC, Compuserve "B", Kermit, dumb
file transfer, and others I haven't thought of can be easily
included.  Why not provide a "hook" function so that programmers can
write code for their own protocols in the event one of them isn't
included?

Next, allow me to select things such as key click, screen colors,
font (You'll have to allow this one.  some terminals have their own
funky character sets), and interlace mode so I can have a 50-line
display (If I can brave the flicker).  I realize preferences allows
you to set some of these things, but I don't believe all settings
hold for custom screens.

Allow me to save all of the above customizations in an init file, so
I only have to bother with it once.  Better yet, allow me to bind
particular init files to entries in the auto-dial database (yes, the
program should have one of those too) so that the program
automatically adapts itself to whatever host I connect to.

I'm sure there's more things I could add to the specs above, but that
should be a good start.  If someone were to create a program of this
power, I guarantee it would sell like hotcakes.

The Amiga is a next-generation computer.  Is it too much to ask for
next-generation software as well?

| Mike Portuesi								     |
| Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department		     |
|									     |
| ARPA: mp1u@td.cc.cmu.edu						     |
| UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp		     |
|									     |
| "Little things remind me of you...Cheap cologne and that damn song too!"   |
|			--The Flirts, "Jukebox"				     |

dcall@dadla.UUCP (Dale Call) (07/22/86)

It appears that the problem with Online! has to do with its non-support of
automargins.  The working termcaps that I recieved from many people (thanks
to all!) do not contain this parameter (the "am" flag).  Anyhow, I am now
able to login without any problems.

Dale Call
tektronix!dadla!dcall

acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall) (07/24/86)

In article <1040@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

> Okay, folks.  I'm going to present all of you with an idea that I'm
> surprised no one has thought of before...
> ...                      If someone were to create a program of this
> power, I guarantee it would sell like hotcakes.
So write it already!  Actually, this is something that I have been working
on "under the covers" for some time but my time is not my own and I
haven't gotten all that far.  I was gonna use SysV terminfo as my model
for defining escape sequences etc. and a BIG requestor for keyboard
redefinition.  Now that some kind soul (can't remember his name right now)
has posted a kermit module to the old AmigaTerm (which I'm using as my
base I can get that added fairly soon but the rest...who knows?  If anyone
else can get it done before I can more power to 'em!  I'll end up using
their program instead of they mine.

--
Tony Sumrall                    ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,sun}!amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

star@fluke.UUCP (David Whitlock) (07/25/86)

> It appears that the problem with Online! has to do with its non-support of
> automargins.  The working termcaps that I recieved from many people (thanks
> to all!) do not contain this parameter (the "am" flag).  Anyhow, I am now
> able to login without any problems.
>
> Dale Call
> tektronix!dadla!dcall

Dale, I was unable to reach you through the net directly via mail so my request
is posted here.  Can you put on the net the TERMCAP entry that works with
Online!, I got the same problem,  no-workie-righty.

thanks in advance

--
Dave Whitlock

        {decvax!microsof,uw-beaver,ssc-vax,allegra,lbl-csam}!fluke!star

--John Fluke Mfg. Co., 33031 Schoolcraft Road, Livonia, MI 48150