[net.micro.amiga] RKM and serial reads

robinson@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Robinson) (07/27/86)

Ok, I was wrong about the Addison-Wesley RKM, but what are flames for?

In any case, Libraries and Devices still hasn't appeared at any local
bookstores (not even the one that specializes in computer books--they even
knew what I was talking about with having to look it up).

But that doesn't really matter to me anymore.  I found someone that had
received three RKM's from Commodore by mistake, and now I am the happy owner
of one of them.

So, now that I am fully documented, I no longer have any qualms about asking
stupid questions on the net for fear that the answer is obvious.  The first
stupid question:

	 What is the officially sanctioned method for determining how many
     characters are available for reading in the serial input buffer?

I seem to recall someone mentioning that this value was returned in one of
the error fields, but this doesn't seem to me to be officially sanctioned.

Thanks in advance.
Disclaimer:  Any opinions or ideas expressed above are entirely my own
responsibility, but they are the intellectual property of The Regents of
the University of California, just in case they become profitable.

"Look, there's God coming out of the men's room."
					 --Woody Allen, _Annie Hall_

ARPA:	robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu
USENET:	ucbvax!ernie!robinson

dyon@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Dyon Anniballi) (07/28/86)

If you look in part 2 of the RKM(the one with all the appendices) in the
section that describes all the devices, and find the part on the serial
you will find a SCMD_QUERY command.  It works just like the SCMD_READ
and SCMD_WRITE, and returns the number of unread chars in the buffer in one
of the fields(I don't remember which one).  Hope this helps.

p.s. It might not be SCMD, but it is some similar combination of letters.
I don't have the RKM in front of me right now.

-jr

louie@umd5 (Louis Mamakos) (07/29/86)

In article <15028@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> robinson@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Robinson) writes:

>	 What is the officially sanctioned method for determining how many
>     characters are available for reading in the serial input buffer?
>
>ARPA:	robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu
>USENET:	ucbvax!ernie!robinson

The way that I do this in my terminal program is to use the SDCMD_QUERY
function to the serial driver.  This will return the number of buffered
input characters in the IOSer.io_Actual field of the I/O request.  Works
in 1.1 and 1.2 beta 4.

--
Louis A. Mamakos WA3YMH   University of Maryland, Computer Science Center
 Internet: louie@trantor.umd.edu