[net.micro.amiga] Amiga memory usage

dpz@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) (07/29/86)

I have a 256K Amiga with no immediate plans to upgrade (lack of
funds), so I want to make the most of what memory I have.  I'd like to
know how much memory the following take up under Workbench 1.1 and
1.2b4:

	Starting a new CLI
	Keeping the image of a disk around
	Default space needed for RAM:
	Anything else that may take up memory

Thanks for any responses!

				David
--
David P. Zimmerman		"Unix RULES!!!" - anonymous

Arpa: dpz@topaz.rutgers.edu
Uucp: ...{allegra | harvard | seismo | sri-iu | ut-sally}!topaz!dpz

robinson@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Robinson) (07/30/86)

In article <5452@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> dpz@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) writes:

>I have a 256K Amiga with no immediate plans to upgrade (lack of
>funds), so I want to make the most of what memory I have.

Suggestion:  Make the most of the money you have.  The following is an article
a friend downloaded off of compuserve.  It describes how to upgrade to 512k
for about forty bucks.  The instructions are good--I know of three Amigas at
least that are running 512k with this upgrade.

Caveats:  This is *not* an officially sanctioned upgrade, it voids the warranty
(so hang loose for 3 months if you're paranoid), and I claim no responsibility
whatsoever for the accuracy or suitabilty of what follows.  It is a simple case
of file transfer--I have nothing to do with the content.

/*****************************BEGIN UPGRADE ARTICLE********************

Here's how you can upgrade your Amiga to 512K
without spending $200 for the Model 1050 Ram
Cartridge, using the time-honored piggyback hack.
Piggybacking refers to the technique of installing
a new memory chip literally piggyback on an
existing memory chip in your computer. Generally
all the pins on the new chip are electrically
connected to the chip below, except for one line,
which is connected with fine wire to some other
point in the circuit.

Should YOU attempt the piggyback upgrade? It is
quite a bit cheaper than the 1050 ram board. I
recently (Dec. 85) purchased all the required
chips for $44, so you could save over $150 doing
the upgrade. Chances are good that these chips
will get cheaper as time goes on, although these
aren't the ordinary "jellybean" 256K ram chips
that have reached commodity status. Rather, they
are "64k x 4" chips, as opposed to the more common
"256k x 1" chips. Right now they are about twice
as expensive as the latter.

The bad part is that you will void your warranty
and, since you will be soldering on the main Amiga
printed circuit board, you risk damaging your new
pride and joy. This does require a fair amount of
manual dexterity and soldering experience. If you
have any doubt about your ability to do this,
PLEASE DON'T ATTEMPT IT. If you don't know a nippy
cutter from a glomper clip, this ain't for you!
You know, really $200 is not a bad price at all
for the 256K ram board. have you seen what Apple
charges for Mac upgrades?!

If you're still with me, here's what you'll need:

(8) 256K rams, 64K x 4, NEC 041464-15, HM50464-15
, etc.

Needle nose pliers, nippy cutters, low wattage
soldering iron (around 25 watts), wire-wrap wire,
aluminum foil, phillips screwdriver (milk of
magnesia and vodka), alligator clip-leads.

I ordered the chips from Microprocessors
Unlimited...excellent service!

Spread the aluminum foil over your work surface.
These rams are EXTREMELY static sensitive. keep
them in the tube until the last minute. Unplug the
Amiga from the wall. There are several screws in
the bottom of the Amiga case recessed into deep
wells. Remove them. Remove the top half of the
case. (There are some stubborn little clips molded
into the two halves of the case holding it
together. You may have to pry a bit.)

Admire the signatures of all the Amiga gurus
molded into the top half of the case.

Remove the top half of the RF shield. There are
approximately nine thousand small screws holding
it on.

Now you should be looking at the main printed
circuit board, heart of the Amiga.

Notice the large, ugly, extra circuit board
mounted over the top of the main board. This is
the WCS. This board contains another 256K of
memory used to hold the contents of the kickstart
disk. Notice how expensive it looks. This type of
add-on board is sometimes called a KLUDGE. This
particular kludge happens to be right smack dab in
our way if we are trying to get at the main memory
chips, which we are.

At this point you should use alligator clip leads
to ground the Amiga to the aluminum foil, and
attach yourself to the aluminum foil, either by
connecting your metal watchband to the foil with a
clip lead, or by keeping a part of your body in
contact with the foil.

Remove the phillips screws holding the WCS board
to the main board. GENTLY pull the WCS away from
the main board. Place the WCS board out of your
way on the foil-covered work surface.

Look for the eight memory chips on the main board
numbered U1B,U1C,U1D,U1E,U2B,U2C,U2D,and U2E.
These are the main 256K "chip" memory. Next,
locate two chips numbered U1H and U1I. These are
address decoder chips. We will attach two wires to
each of these chips.

Plug in the soldering iron. It would be a great
idea to keep the iron in contact with the aluminum
foil while not in use, so it can't accumulate a
static charge. Use the nippy cutters to strip a
tiny bit of insulation from the wire wrap wire.
Strip just enough to 'tack' solder the wire to an
i.c. pin - maybe about 1/32".

Attach a 6" length of wire-wrap wire to pins 12
and 13 of both U1H and U1I. If you aren't sure
where pins 12 and 13 are, you shouldn't be doing
this!
  Now prepare your new ram chips for piggybacking.
To do this, you'll have to carefully bend the rows
of pins inward. When they come out of the tube
brand new, the pins not at right angles to the
chip, but bent slightly outward. I usually lay
chip sideways on a FLAT surface and push the chip
against the surface, bending the entire row at
once. Don't bend them in very far. Remember, they
have to press down over the existing ram chips. If
you bend the pins too far inward, this becomes
very difficult. Keep in mind the static
electricity problem!!

When you have the angle right, all the pins should
squeeze tightly against the respective pins of the
chip beneath it. When you are satisfied that this
is the case, use the needle nose pliers to bend
pin #16 upward so that it straight out from the
side of the chip. We will be attaching wires to
pin 16 of each piggyback ram.

Piggyback all eight chips in this fashion, with
pin 16 of each piggyback sticking straight out.
Make sure each pin is tightly hugging the chip
below.

Now it's time to do the actual wiring. Cut four 1
1/2" pieces of wire-wrap wire and strip about 1/4"
insulation from each end. Each end of these wires
will connect to a pin 16 sticking out the side of
your piggy back chips. Here's where to put these
four wires:

Connect pin 16 of piggyback at U1B to piggyback at
U1C.

Connect pin 16 of piggyback at U1D to piggyback at
U1E.

Connect pin 16 of piggyback at U2B to piggyback at
U2C.

Connect pin 16 of piggyback at U2D to piggyback at
U2E.

Use a very small amount of solder on each
connection.

Now we'll be connecting the free ends of those 6"
wires you attached to U1H and U1I. As you connect
these, cut them to the proper length. Leave enough
slack so you can neatly route the wires along the
surface of the board.

Here's where to hook them:

Connect the wire from U1H, pin 12 to pin 16 of
piggyback chip at U2C. (note that there's already
a 1 1/2" wire connected here!)

Connect the wire from U1H, pin 13 to pin 16 of
piggyback chip at U1C. (same story here.)

Connect the wire from U1I, pin 12 to pin 16 of
piggyback chip at U2E. (ditto)

Connect the wire from U1I, pin 13 to pin 16 of
piggyback chip at U1E. (similar situation)

That completes the wiring. You may want to
reassemble the computer at this point to test it,
just to make sure your new rams are good. Or, you
may go directly to the next step, soldering all
the piggyback pins on.

If you did a good job of pin bending, all the
piggyback pins (except #16, of course) should be
in good electrical contact with the original Amiga
rams. This is not good enough for long term
operation, however, and you will have to lightly
solder each of the pins. As you do this, use a
very small amount of solder on each pin, making
absolutely sure that you get good solder flow to
the pin below. This is where the aforementioned
soldering experience really comes into play. It
also helps to have a very slender tip on your
iron. Be especially careful working around your
wire wrap wires.

We're almost done. Very carefully re-install the
WCS board over the main board. I used a pocket
mirror to look underneath the make sure all the
pins were properly inserted into the headers.
When you're sure everything is lined up press down
firmly to seat the connectors. Installing the WCS
can be a little tricky. Double check that
everything is in place.

You're done! Plug it in and try it out before
replacing the RF shield and case. If it doesn't
work, PANIC. I warned you it wasn't foolproof! You
just ruined a $1300 dollar computer!

Seriously, If you've done this sort of thing
before, everything will go just fine. Piece of
cake. Enjoy your $44 ram upgrade!

Tim Jenison
71515,710

\*****************************END UPGRADE ARTICLE***************************

Enjoy.

Disclaimer:  UNIX is a trademark of Bell Laboratories
             Some assembly required
			 All Thebans are liars
			 The Surgeon General has determined that smoking is hazardous to
				   your health
			 I was holding it for a friend
			 "This has been another helpful hint for living from the commitee's
				   almanac."

Mike "programmer with a screwdriver" Robinson USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu