[net.micro.amiga] Hard disk updates?

rick@mips.UUCP (Rick Frazier) (07/30/86)

I'm almost afraid to post this, with the difficulty that companies have
had with getting add-on memory into the stores, but here goes.....

I have been following this newsgroup and some local bbs for quite awhile,
and have seen mention of hard disks to be available "soon", particularly
on the bbs systems.  However, I have yet to see anyone make mention of
an inexpensive hard disk interface or interface/drive combination.

Isn't anyone out there (except me) willing to put up with a (probably)
slow implementation of scsi done through the parallel port?  I am not as
concerned with blazing speed (some bbs messages are alluding to eagles and
super eagles, and they're smd interfaced) as I am of getting reliable
mass storage of 30+ MB.  Working on a vax during the day makes one really
appreciate the power of the amiga, and I'd be happy with even a slow,
do-it-yourself method of adding hard disk storage.  (about equivalent to
a huge-capacity floppy would do just fine)  I'm sure it'd still be quicker
than an overloaded vax.......Graphics and other features mean more to me than
raw speed, particularly as my budget doesn't allow great expenditures these
days....

Is anyone out there working on a low cost interface? (and of course, the
all-important driver)  What interfaces?

Thanks---

--
--Rick Frazier--  DISCLAIMER: The above is individual opinion (the result of my
imperfect recall of facts, real or imagined) in no way representing anyone else.

bj@well.UUCP (Jim Becker) (08/01/86)

In article <591@mips.UUCP> rick@mips.UUCP (Rick Frazier) writes:
>I'm almost afraid to post this, with the difficulty that companies have
>had with getting add-on memory into the stores, but here goes.....
>
>I have been following this newsgroup and some local bbs for quite awhile,
>and have seen mention of hard disks to be available "soon", particularly
>on the bbs systems.  However, I have yet to see anyone make mention of
>an inexpensive hard disk interface or interface/drive combination.
>
>Isn't anyone out there (except me) willing to put up with a (probably)
>slow implementation of scsi done through the parallel port?  I am not as
>concerned with blazing speed (some bbs messages are alluding to eagles and
>super eagles, and they're smd interfaced) as I am of getting reliable
>mass storage of 30+ MB.  Working on a vax during the day makes one really
>appreciate the power of the amiga, and I'd be happy with even a slow,
>do-it-yourself method of adding hard disk storage.  (about equivalent to
>a huge-capacity floppy would do just fine)  I'm sure it'd still be quicker
>than an overloaded vax.......Graphics and other features mean more to me than

>raw speed, particularly as my budget doesn't allow great expenditures these
>days....
>
>Is anyone out there working on a low cost interface? (and of course, the
>all-important driver)  What interfaces?
>
>Thanks---
>

>--
>--Rick Frazier--  DISCLAIMER: The above is individual opinion (the result of
my
>imperfect recall of facts, real or imagined) in no way representing anyone el
se.
>UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!rick         DDD: 408-720-1700 x278

Do not fear, as much as I understand this is something that has been
done and should be on the market soon. Don't know the price but the
functionality is there. Was softwareed by an Amiga person so it works !!

- Jim Becker