[net.micro.amiga] Amiga Hardware Wishlist

brianr@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Rhodefer) (07/22/86)

-- You can't eat me, I'm a Gingerbread Line! --

Recent articles in this newsgroup have given me the
impression that net.micro.amiga is read by commercial
hardware developers working on products for the Amiga.

If this is so, I'd like to use some of these graciously
donated resources to suggest my idea of the "Perfect
Amiga Expansion Box":

1) Sits on TOP of the Amiga, not beside it, and obscures
   none of the Amiga's connectors except the expansion
   connector

2) Has its own line-operated power supply

3) Has a lot of memory, of course.  1Meg minimum.
   If the memory had hardware error detection/correction,
   (parity bit(s)), it might make folks more comfortable.

4) Has non-volatile timekeeper
   (e.g. battery-operated CMOS clock/calendar)

5) (optional) Has enough battery-backed RAM to hold the
   c: directory contents

All pretty ho-hum so far; in fact, I've heard rumors of
products with (more or less) these features already in
the works.  Now for the feature whose unavailability
astounds me:

6)  SCSInterface!!

Why are the pitifully few hardware suppliers for the Amiga squandering
their resources (USENET translation: they're resource's) on efforts to
paste one or two specific hard-disk drives onto the side of an Amiga,
when a SCSI port would instantly make a larger selection of disk drives
available at high-volume costs, and take far less engineering effort?

Well, maybe disk drives with integral SCSI controllers are a tad expensive
NOW, but which kind of disk drive is more likely to come down in price,
a Tandon Platinum Pygmy (I was going to put the price and features
of Tandon's drive here, but these statistics were SO bad I only remember
my hoots of derision), usable ONLY on an Amiga computer, or
"Mr. Data" SCSI hard-disk peripherals, usable on any machine that
has a SCSI port?

In addition to offering the larger choice of hard-disk drive storage
capacities and speeds, a SCSI port would enables one to augment one's
storage capacity in the future by simply plugging on more generic modules.
(e.g. CD-ROM??)

And, you can hook other equipment besides disk drives up to a SCSI bus!
It seems likely to me that more innovative products can be sold
(read: will come into existence) that "Plug onto any SCSI bus", than
ones that "Plug onto the MC68000 data and control bus which appears
on the 1986-vintage Amiga(tm) computer, as long as that bus hasn't been
made unavailable by addition of a non-self-powered memory expansion
unit X or by hard-disk drive Y".

Is the Amiga a machine for the future, or what?

Wishfully,

Brian Rhodefer   ...good_luck!tektronix!tekig4/brianr

stever@videovax.UUCP (Steven E. Rice) (07/24/86)

In article <815@tekig4.UUCP>, Brian Rhodefer (brianr@tekig4.UUCP) makes
several suggestions for an Amiga expansion box.  I would like to second
his suggestion for an SCSI interface and suggest a very nice implementation
of another suggestion:

> 4) Has non-volatile timekeeper
>    (e.g. battery-operated CMOS clock/calendar)

There is an extremely nice clock/calendar chip available from GE/Intersil --
I believe the part number is ICL 7170 (I'm typing on my Amiga at home,
so I don't have the data sheet handy!).  It has two features that make it
a real winner:

   1. It requires no external power-switching logic.  The circuitry to
      switch from battery to the +5 volt supply is built in.  All that
      is needed is a battery and a current-limiting resistor (1K to 10K
      or so).  Not only does this save money, it significantly improves
      the chances that the chip will not be reset or otherwise disabled
      by ragged power or switching the power off and on too fast.

   2. It draws extremely small amounts of power, even when running with
      a 1+ MHz crystal.  (There are three or four possible crystal
      frequencies -- 32.768 kHz, 1.048576 MHz, possibly 2.097152 MHz,
      and 4.194304 MHz -- I can't remember if the 2+ MHz frequency is
      there.)  All 32.768 kHz crystals have a significant problem --
      temperature stability (or lack thereof).  Even the poorest 1+ MHz
      crystal should have better frequency stability with temperature.

If this part is combined with a Seiko 1.045876 MHz DS-MGQ crystal, which
has an extremely low temperature coefficient, the clock should keep very
good time.

How about it, guys?  Let's see a really good clock in there. . .

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

No, I don't work for GE/Intersil or Seiko.  However, I am using those parts
in a product that will NOT connect to an Amiga expansion bus.  Trademarks
are duly noted. . .

richr@pogo.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) (08/01/86)

In article <815@tekig4.UUCP> brianr@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Rhodefer) writes:

>Recent articles in this newsgroup have given me the
>impression that net.micro.amiga is read by commercial
>hardware developers working on products for the Amiga.

Yes, this is a correct assumption.

>If this is so, I'd like to use some of these graciously
>donated resources to suggest my idea of the "Perfect
>Amiga Expansion Box":

... Describes his ideal expansion box

The following are descriptions of products that my company has designed for
C Ltd. (Was CardCo).

An expansion box that sits on top of the Amiga approximately 4 inches high.
It does not cover *any* of the ports except the expansion bus, which it
graciously passes forward in the same manner as the aMEGA board.  It contains
6 slots, 5 of which are accessible to the Amiga DMA.  It has it's own voltage
sensing power supply (thus no power switch).  The box was designed with
ergonomics in mind and should be a real winner.  There are no "Extras" with
this box.  What you get is a card cage and a power supply.  This was done
to minimize costs, and give the shopper the opportunity to spend as little
as need be to get <JUST> the features that <HE> needs.

Name: aMEGA Box
Price: $499
Available: August  (Read LATE August)

A 1 to 2 megabyte memory plug in card for any Amiga expansion box that follows
the Amiga Hardware Specifications.  This memory card runs at no wait states,
and should satisfy even the most discriminating memory critic.

Name: aMEGA Board II
Price: $299 bare board
       $499 1 megabyte (user expandable to 2 meg)
       $699 2 megabyte
Available: August

A 20 megabyte DMA Hard Disk.  This was OEMed from a company much larger than
we are.  I have seen this disk in action and it is **FAST**.
Name: ?
Price: $799
Available: August

>...  Now for the feature whose unavailability
>astounds me:
>
>6)  SCSInterface!!
>
>Why are the pitifully few hardware suppliers for the Amiga squandering
>Is the Amiga a machine for the future, or what?

This brings me to our final product.  A multi-function card that will have at
least the following items:
	SCSInterface (Optional DMA Chip)
	Battery Backed-up Clock
	2 Serial ports (One 25 pin DIN, the other a 9 pin AppleTalk
	                Hardware compatible DIN connecter)

It may also have a parallel port...

Price: $499  (Although I think this is preliminary and will go down.)
Available: September  (Read October or November)

Even though I do not do the actual manufacturing of these products I do get
royalties and this may be deemed as a commercial oriented posting.  I regret
if anybody has taken offense from this particular posting, but I feel the
information is of general interest to the net and posted it in spite of my
reservations.  The products listed are all working (even if in prototype form)
and should be available as soon as C Ltd. get its' manufacturing to the level
of supporting a thriving Amiga market.  I hope that this information has been
of some help.

Richard N. Rodgers, President
Creative Microsystems Inc.
9140 SW Locust Street