[net.sf-lovers] great typo in "Stainless Steel Rat is Born"

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/16/85)

As long as we're talking about typos, I just started Harrison's new book "A
Stainless Steel Rat is Born" (Spectra, $2.95). There is a REALLY cute typo
in the first chapter (page 4, as a matter of fact) that goes "Imagine if
you can -- and you will need a fertile imagination indeed -- a one-tonne
angry boar hog with sharp tushes and mean dispositions."

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be sat upon by that
animal..... You don't suppose they really meant tusks, do you??? *giggle*
--
:From the caverns of the Crystal Cave:  Chuq Von Rospach
Currently: nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA       {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,pyramid}!nsc!chuqui

Our time is past -- it is a time for men, not magic. Come, let us leave
this world to the usurpers and rest our weary bones....

thoth@tellab3.UUCP (Marcus Hall) (10/19/85)

In article <3260@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>As long as we're talking about typos, I just started Harrison's new book "A
>Stainless Steel Rat is Born" (Spectra, $2.95). There is a REALLY cute typo
>in the first chapter (page 4, as a matter of fact) that goes "Imagine if
>you can -- and you will need a fertile imagination indeed -- a one-tonne
>angry boar hog with sharp tushes and mean dispositions."
>
>I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be sat upon by that
>animal..... You don't suppose they really meant tusks, do you??? *giggle*

_Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 1977_

1 tush: a long pointed tooth; esp : a horse's canine
2 tush: used to express disdain or reproach

marcus hall
..!ihnp4!tellab1!tellab2!thoth

djl@ptsfb.UUCP (Dave Lampe) (10/19/85)

In article <3260@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>As long as we're talking about typos, I just started Harrison's new book "A
>Stainless Steel Rat is Born" ...
>... sharp tushes ..."
>
>You don't suppose they really meant tusks, do you??? *giggle*
>--
>:From the caverns of the Crystal Cave:  Chuq Von Rospach

According to my dictionary (Webster's New Collegiate), a "tush"
is a tusk, specifically an enlarged canine.

Dave Lampe @ Pacific Bell
{ucbvax,amd,zehntel,ihnp4,cbosgd}!dual!ptsfa!ptsfb!djl
(415) 823-2408

OC.TREI@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (10/24/85)

From: Peter G. Trei <OC.TREI@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>

> From: nsc!chuqui@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chuq Von Rospach)
> Subject: great typo in "Stainless Steel Rat is Born"

> "-- a one-tonne angry boar hog with sharp tushes "

> I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be sat upon by that
> animal..... You don't suppose they really meant tusks, do you???

No, I really dont think so:

(from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary)
TUSH: [ME @i(tusch), from OE @i(tusc); akin to OFris @i(tusk) tooth,
       OE @i(toth)]: a long pointed tooth; esp: a horse's canine.

    The  'tush' of which you are probably thinking (buttocks) is a
slang word (tuches) in Yiddish, a creole of High German and Hebrew.
I dont know if it is borrowed from the German or the Hebrew.
(cf. Modern Hebrew slang: (tusik)).

                                                Peter Trei
                                                oc.trei@cu20b.arpa
-------

STEINER@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (10/27/85)

From: Dave <Steiner@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>

    From: nsc!chuqui@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chuq Von Rospach)
    Subject: great typo in "Stainless Steel Rat is Born"
    Date: 16 Oct 85 16:01:55 GMT

    As long as we're talking about typos, I just started Harrison's
    new book "A Stainless Steel Rat is Born" (Spectra, $2.95). There
    is a REALLY cute typo in the first chapter (page 4, as a matter
    of fact) that goes "Imagine if you can -- and you will need a
    fertile imagination indeed -- a one-tonne angry boar hog with
    sharp tushes and mean dispositions."

    I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be sat upon by
    that animal..... You don't suppose they really meant tusks, do
    you???  *giggle*

    Chuq Von Rospach
    Currently: nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA
    {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,pyramid}!nsc!chuqui
    Soon to be:  ..!sun!<somethingorother>

I thought this was great the first time I saw this.  I laughed for
quite a while.  I even told some people about it.  Guess what one of
them had to say?  He thought that tushes wasn't a typo...that it did
mean tusks.  So I looked it up in my Webster's New Collegiate
Dictionary and found the following (/e means upsidedown, /u means a
bar over, and /o means a bar over):

	tush \'t/esh\ n [ME @i(tusch), fr. OE @i(t/usc); askin to
	  OFris @i(tusk) tooth, OE @i(t/oth) tooth]: A long pointed
	  tooth; @i(esp): a horse's canine.

Oh well, it would have been funny if it were a typo, but looks like
it's not.  Good try though.

ds
-------