[net.micro.amiga] Kermit disks

spencer@usc-oberon.UUCP (Randy Spencer) (07/21/86)

Someone recently posted to net.cbm that they were looking for a copy of kermit
for the 64.   I have the most recent version (for a while yet) of kermit and
would be more than happy to make a copy of it.  This is true for the amiga
as well (and the PC too, boy there are alot of kermits).  If anybody would
like a disk copy of any of these 3 kermits I will be glad to send you one on
the following terms.

You send me a disk in a return mailer, postage paid,

or

You send me your name and address and any other important information about
you (like which kermit you want) along with $6 and I will send you a disk.

Why $6?  Well, that is what everyone else I have ever seen puts down.  It isn't
a rip off like $10 would be, and people probably won't send it as cash in the
mail (since it is two bills, and that just feels wrong) so the check will
arrive safely and they won't complain when I don't send them anything.  And
it will cover the expenses plus buy me a candy bar while I am in line at the
post office.

I am getting a PO box so that when I move again in 6 months people won't
be sending the requests to the new tenants.  I intend to offer this for
as long as I keep in contact with CU20B (or longer).

Lastly if anyone knows about the NEW kermit that was written by the guy at
SAS, I seem to have misplaced his address.  I have the first Kermit as
featured in AmigaWorld, the one that has no wildcard sends and has no
terminal emulation (just a glass tty).  I am sure that fred fish will have
the kermits on his disks, but it is nice to have a place to send for disks,
and I always wanted to be like fred's nephew, helping him distribute software.

The address to send to is:

Randy Spencer
Keeper of the Kermits          <--- optional
PO Box 4542
Berkeley, CA 94704

I am currently moving up to berkeley that is why the USC address below

....I disclaim everything, I had nothing to do with it, it's not my fault!....
Randal Spencer  - DEC, {amiga} Consulting -  University of Southern California
phone: (213) 743-5363  Arpa:Spencer@USC-ECL,USC-Oberon  Bitnet:Spencer@USCVAXQ
UUCP:...up to you!{{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcrdcf,scgvaxd,smeagol}!usc-oberon!spencer
Home: 937 N. Beverly Glen Bl. Bel Air California 90077          (213) 470-0428

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (07/24/86)

In article <584@usc-oberon.UUCP>, spencer@usc-oberon.UUCP writes:
> Someone recently posted to net.cbm that they were looking for a copy of kermit
> for the 64.   I have the most recent version (for a while yet) of kermit and
> would be more than happy to make a copy of it.  This is true for the amiga
> as well (and the PC too, boy there are alot of kermits).  If anybody would
> like a disk copy of any of these 3 kermits I will be glad to send you one on
> the following terms.
> Lastly if anyone knows about the NEW kermit that was written by the guy at
> SAS, I seem to have misplaced his address.  I have the first Kermit as
> featured in AmigaWorld, the one that has no wildcard sends and has no
> terminal emulation (just a glass tty).  I am sure that fred fish will have
> the kermits on his disks, but it is nice to have a place to send for disks,
> and I always wanted to be like fred's nephew, helping him distribute software.
> Randal Spencer  - DEC, {amiga} Consulting -  University of Southern California
The author of C-Kermit for the Amiga is:
    Jack J. Rouse
    106 Rubin Ct Apt A-4
    Cary, NC 27511
He will ship the latest STABLE copy of Kermit to anyone for $6.00 US.
Note that he has been continually improving Kermit on the Amiga (the upcomming
version I have seen working is excellent - Uses the AmigaDOS CON: window but
still does single character I/O to and from it!) but has made sure a version is
stable before shipping it.

***Minor flame on***
Why shouldn't people go straight to the source for the software.  There is no
problem of availability PLUS you are guarenteed of getting the latest version.
Fred Fish is probably an exception as he is providing an Organization and
pseudo-documentation of the disks.  I know that with HACK, almost all of the
IRATE or RUDE phone calls (yes I get them at 3:00 AM too) are from people who
downloaded it from a bulletin board or got it from a club librarians who
downloaded it but failed to include all the files (or make sure the latest
version was set up correctly).  If you offer to do something like sending out
software then you should be willing to put your name on it and support it,
not pass the burden onto someone else for problems introduced in the process.
***Minor flame off***

I have nothing against offerring to redistribute software (Lord knows that
HACK wouldn't be so widely distributed if that were so)  I am just opposed
to doing it where the SAME audience would be reached - Jack Rouse is on
USENET too.  Going to the source eliminates any confusion over the latest
version (how many people have the OFFICIAL source to HACK?) and works out
best in the long run.

--
John A. Toebes, VIII       usenet:..mcnc!rti-sel!sas!toebes
USnail: 235 Trillingham Ln, Cary NC 27511   BBS:(919)471-6436

spencer@usc-oberon.UUCP (Randy Spencer) (08/03/86)

}
} Hi - if I send you $6, does that give me the source to Kermit, too?
}	Thanks,
}		Paul Higginbottom
}		(cbmvax)
}		ihnp4|seismo|caip|amiga hookups I think.
}

OK, just thought I would elaborate on this point.  As I have said before, I
am willing to send you a copy of Kermit for the IBM, C64, or the Amiga.  These
are the most recent versions available from Columbia.  Send me either a format-
ted disk or $6 and your mailing address to: Random, Box 4542, Berkeley CA 94704

I *will* include the sources for Amiga Kermit on the disk I send.  I will
include the sources for the IBM Kermit if requested (but it is so hard to
keep up with the changes, and I cannot be sure that it will compile as I
have not got all the compilers for the IBM (I am just using the transformer)).
The sources for c64 Kermit will not compile on the c64 so there is little use
for downloading them.  There are some other utilities on the disk and the .boo
file is included if you want to modem someone else a copy of the file.

I have gotten a suprising turnout of requests for Kermit, in that I posted the
message to net.micro.amiga and I mostly get request for IBM Kermit. Such is
life...

....I disclaim everything, I had nothing to do with it, it's not my fault!....
Randal Spencer  - DEC, {amiga} Consulting -  University of Southern California
phone: (213) 743-5363  Arpa:Spencer@USC-ECL,USC-Oberon  Bitnet:Spencer@USCVAXQ
UUCP:...up to you!{{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcrdcf,scgvaxd,smeagol}!usc-oberon!spencer
Home: 937 N. Beverly Glen Bl. Bel Air California 90077          (213) 470-0428
New permenant address (for several years anyway): Box 4542 Berkeley CA 94704