[net.micro.amiga] Things that break with the MC68010

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (07/15/86)

Do to a bad case of insomnia last night, I dug out some of the Amiga
games to play.

Lo and behold, the two EA games I have (One-on-One and SkyFox) DON'T
run on the MC68010 Amiga. No big loss, but you might want to check
your favorite games BEFORE upgrading. It could just be a case of
software rot, seeing how little I use the things. But I doubt it, as
the only other game I have that takes over the machine (Braticus) runs
like a charm on the MC68010, and it gets about as much play as the EA
games.

In the future, maybe I'll stick to Go.

	<mike

wpl@burdvax.UUCP (07/16/86)

In article <966@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu writes:

> Do to a bad case of insomnia last night, I dug out some of the Amiga
> games to play.
>
> Lo and behold, the two EA games I have (One-on-One and SkyFox) DON'T
> run on the MC68010 Amiga. No big loss, but you might want to check
> your favorite games BEFORE upgrading. It could just be a case of
> software rot, seeing how little I use the things. But I doubt it, as
> the only other game I have that takes over the machine (Braticus) runs
> like a charm on the MC68010, and it gets about as much play as the EA
> games.
>
> In the future, maybe I'll stick to Go.
>
>       <mike

Simply not true.  I can run One-on-One and ArticFox with my MC68010, and
I would think if ArticFox runs so does SkyFox.

ee161uat@sdcc3.UUCP (07/17/86)

In article <966@jade.BERKELEY.EDU >  mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU () writes:

 > Do to a bad case of insomnia last night, I dug out some of the Amiga
 > games to play.
 >
 > Lo and behold, the two EA games I have (One-on-One and SkyFox) DON'T
 > run on the MC68010 Amiga. No big loss, but you might want to check
 > your favorite games BEFORE upgrading. It could just be a case of
 > software rot, seeing how little I use the things. But I doubt it, as
 > the only other game I have that takes over the machine (Braticus) runs
 > like a charm on the MC68010, and it gets about as much play as the EA
 > games.
 >
 > In the future, maybe I'll stick to Go.
 >
 > 	<mike

You have to remmember that EA software has been known to go in
smokes since the coy rotection they used trashes the disk sometimes
a friend of mine lost his versions of DeluxePaint and Artic Fox and
they had very little use too.  I haven't heard of Braticus but if
it isn't a EA game then it probably will run forever.  Anyways, I
though the instruction set for the MC68010 was the same as the
instruction set of the MC68000 so I don't understand why the games
won't work??

Ed Joseph..

farren@hoptoad.UUCP (07/17/86)

In article <966@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU () writes:

>Lo and behold, the two EA games I have (One-on-One and SkyFox) DON'T
>run on the MC68010 Amiga.

Hmm.  I've got both a 68010 and SkyFox, and haven't had any problems
running it.  I wonder if this is one of the signs of "evolving" copy-
protect, which I understand EA is rather fond (yecch) of.

--
----------------
Mike Farren

mitsu@well.UUCP (07/18/86)

In article <2571@burdvax.UUCP> William P Loftus writes:
>You have to remmember that EA software has been known to go in
>smokes since the coy rotection they used trashes the disk sometimes
>a friend of mine lost his versions of DeluxePaint and Artic Fox and
>they had very little use too.  I haven't heard of Braticus but if
>it isn't a EA game then it probably will run forever.  Anyways, I
>though the instruction set for the MC68010 was the same as the
>instruction set of the MC68000 so I don't understand why the games
>won't work??
	Let's get things straight, here.
	EA copy protection only fails if you try to write on the disk.
Don't write on the disk, and the tools and games will work just fine.
Professional tools such as DPaint are now available in non-copy
protected form, and come with backup disks as well.    As to DPaint "not
having much use," well, there's not much to say to that except that
it is one of the best graphics editors for any microcomputer; if you are
a computer geek with no visual sense, you might not appreciate that,
however.
			-Mitsu (mitsu@WELL.UUCP){

haddock@ti-csl (07/19/86)

/* Written  7:22 pm  Jul 14, 1986 by mwm@eris.berkeley.edu in ti-csl:net.micro.amiga */
/* ---------- "Things that break with the MC68010" ---------- */

	>Lo and behold, the two EA games I have (One-on-One and SkyFox) DON'T
	>run on the MC68010 Amiga. No big loss, but you might want to check
	>your favorite games BEFORE upgrading. It could just be a case of
	>software rot, seeing how little I use the things.

	<mike

I'm curious Mike, have you tried using the 68010 "wedge" that's been
going around the BBS's and was posted here not too long ago?   Care
to try this for us?

I understand that the [IBM] Transformer will not work on the '020
upgrades (of which my should arrive in about 2-weeks).   I wonder
if the "wedge" (or whatever it's called) will fix this?

Anyone know or care to give it a try?  How 'bout letting us know if
you do (I will when my board comes in if no one else will)???

					-Rusty-

*hardcopy*		*electr{onic, ic}*
Rusty Haddock		ARPA:  Haddock%TI-CSL@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
POB 226015 M/S 238	CSNET: Haddock@TI-CSL
Texas Instruments Inc.	USENET: {ut-sally,convex!smu,texsun}!ti-csl!haddock
Dallas, Texas 75266	VOICE: (214) 995-0330

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (07/20/86)

In article <9300014@ti-csl> haddock@ti-csl writes:
>/* Written  7:22 pm  Jul 14, 1986 by me in ti-csl:net.micro.amiga */
>	>Lo and behold, the two EA games I have (One-on-One and SkyFox) DON'T
>	>run on the MC68010 Amiga.
>
>I'm curious Mike, have you tried using the 68010 "wedge" that's been
>going around the BBS's and was posted here not too long ago?   Care
>to try this for us?

Rusty -

I have the "wedge", and run it on CLI & Workbench disks. I suspect that
it would fix the games, but they expect to be booted like workbench
disks. Since this does (should do?) a system reset from the WCS up, I
don't know of any way to install said wedge. If someone knows how to
do this, or knows how to start the games from the Workbench or CLI
without resetting the system, let me know and I'll give it a try.

Also, someone claimed that what I said "wasn't so." Sorry, but the
facts are that I've got those two EA games; they booted last time I
tried them on the MC68000, and they now don't boot on the MC68010. I
suspect EA of having written code that doesn't make the move, but it
could be software rot. Someday, if I get motivated, I'll take the
disks to my dealer and see if they boot.

	<mike

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (07/20/86)

> [...]  Anyways, I
> though the instruction set for the MC68010 was the same as the
> instruction set of the MC68000 so I don't understand why the games
> won't work??
>
> Ed Joseph..

There's only one difference in actual code.  The 68010's MOVE from SR
instruction is a privileged instruction, where the 68000's isn't.  Thus,
you can only use that instruction in supervisor mode; you'll get an
exception if you try to use it in user mode.  An exception handler for this
can take care of any of these problems.  Also, some of the 68010's stack
operations (exception stack, etc.) are different. The Amiga Exec contains
routines that will examine exception stacks independently of processor type.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"I don't feel safe in this world no more,
	 I don't want to die in a nuclear war,
	 I want to sail away to a distant shore
	 And live like an ape man."
				-The Kinks

	These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

flocchini@ucdavis.UUCP (flocchini) (07/20/86)

> /* Written  7:22 pm  Jul 14, 1986 by mwm@eris.berkeley.edu in ti-csl:net.micro.amiga */
> /* ---------- "Things that break with the MC68010" ---------- */
>
> 	>Lo and behold, the two EA games I have (One-on-One and SkyFox) DON'T
> 	>run on the MC68010 Amiga. No big loss, but you might want to check
> 	>your favorite games BEFORE upgrading. It could just be a case of
> 	>software rot, seeing how little I use the things.
>
> 	<mike
>
> I'm curious Mike, have you tried using the 68010 "wedge" that's been
> going around the BBS's and was posted here not too long ago?   Care
> to try this for us?
>
> I understand that the [IBM] Transformer will not work on the '020
> upgrades (of which my should arrive in about 2-weeks).   I wonder
> if the "wedge" (or whatever it's called) will fix this?

i have used the wedge with CSA's 68020 system. the clculator distributed
with 1.1 works correctly. the problem with the transformer is that it
resets the machine(i think) and the wedge is nullified. the result at
least about 1 month ago was that i could not get the tramnsformer to
work with the wedge and the CSA board.
the EA stuff works fine. i have run skyfox arctic fox, seven cities, and
one-on-one. here the configuration is 68020 without the cache enabled.
as was mentioned earlier on the network the products take ove the whole
machine.
i have run deluxe paint and video construction with the 68020 and cache
enabled. no apparent problems to date.
hope this helps
MByte 32 bit ram board.

that last line should have been CSA is rumored to be working on a
32bit 2MB ram board.

bob flocchini
ucdavis!deneb!flocchini

mikel@ccvaxa.UUCP (07/21/86)

Ok I give up, what is the 'wedge'?  I plan on upgrading my Amiga to a 010 this
week.

gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (07/24/86)

In article <901@hoptoad.uucp>, farren@hoptoad.UUCP writes:

> Hmm.  I've got both a 68010 and SkyFox, and haven't had any problems
> running it.  I wonder if this is one of the signs of "evolving" copy-
> protect, which I understand EA is rather fond (yecch) of.

What is "evolving" copy protection?

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (07/26/86)

---Munch here, etc...---

I've had a cuple of E-A products.  1 on 1, and Dpaint.  Enjoyed
them both, and they're wonderful examples of getting a lot out of
the Amiga.

Now the bad part is that the algorithm that E-A uses is real slow
and rather unreliable.  I've been though several copies of both
programs.  It seems like the disks break after 20 to 30 boots of
the programs.

It looks like they decode some part of the program and switch its
physical location on the disk every time the protected program is
run.  It also looks like the funky blocks are not noted in the file
system as used blocks which makes them vulnerable for trashing by
legitimate writes to the disk.

I can already hear you say that one shouldn't write to such a
valuable disk.  What about preferences for dpaint?  I got a new
printer, and *had* to change them.  About 5 boots later, the disk
died.  E-A admits that writing to the dpaint disk is a bad idea.
They had nothing to offer about the problem of changing prefs.
They recommended booting from a w.b. disk with the desired prefs--
this turns out to be a pain on the system I'm using which has only
one floppy.

I called E-A on the phone and complained rather bitterly.  They did
relent, and send me new disks which they claimed were better than
the first batch.  Experience suggests that this is not true.  They
also blamed "the software duplicating house" for the problems
related to the copyproof scheme.

I think my carping might have actually done a little good, as I got
back a rather long hand written letter from the v.p. of software
development at E-A.  Now if everyone would complain about how
obnoxious their software is because of the protection used...

Bill
N. E. Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Division of Basic Medical Sciences

farren@hoptoad.uucp (Mike Farren) (07/26/86)

In article <2659@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) writes
(>> is me, originally):

>> Hmm.  I've got both a 68010 and SkyFox, and haven't had any problems
>> running it.  I wonder if this is one of the signs of "evolving" copy-
>> protect, which I understand EA is rather fond (yecch) of.
>
>What is "evolving" copy protection?

Copy-protection which changes from time to time, in order to create the max-
imum amount of confusion, obfustication, and general nastiness, all in the
hope of trying to stop the unstoppable.  :-) (I think)

--
----------------

gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (08/03/86)

In article <919@hoptoad.uucp>, farren@hoptoad.uucp (Mike Farren) writes:

> >What is "evolving" copy protection?
>
> Copy-protection which changes from time to time, in order to create the max-
> imum amount of confusion, obfustication, and general nastiness, all in the
> hope of trying to stop the unstoppable.  :-) (I think)

But how can it "evolve" if the disk is write protected?

	Gary

farren@hoptoad.uucp (Mike Farren) (08/04/86)

In article <2769@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) writes:

>> >What is "evolving" copy protection?
>>
>> Copy-protection which changes from time to time, in order to create the max-
>> imum amount of confusion, obfustication, and general nastiness, all in the
>> hope of trying to stop the unstoppable.  :-) (I think)
>>

>But how can it "evolve" if the disk is write protected?

The copy-protection scheme is changed periodically by the company, not the
program.  Say, every three months or every fourth batch of disks or whatever.
In other words, the copy protect scheme used for YOUR diskette might not be
the one used for your neighbor's.

--