[net.micro.amiga] Application availability on Mac, Atari ST, and Amiga

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (08/05/86)

From: sjl@amdahl.UUCP (Steve Langdon)
Subject: Application availablity on Mac, Atari ST, and Amiga
Date: 3 Aug 86 09:22:39 GMT

> About 9 months ago I posted an article explaining my views on the importance
> of a consistent user interface on a single user micro.  I still feel that
> this is a critical issue, but now it is time to ask if high quality
> applications for the Atari ST and Amiga are available.  Both machines have
> been around for a while and it is reasonable to expect good software.

I expected at least some good software for both machines to appear by
now.  I'm an Amiga fan, but I read the Atari group too.  While they
may have more software support than the Amiga does at present, none
of it is worth writing home about.  I am amazed at the amount of
lackluster software available for both machines.

> To attempt to organize the discussion I will suggest some categories, and
> provide a summary of what is available for the Mac.

> Word Processing

I won't even attempt to contest this one.  Word processing software
on the Amiga is non-existent.  The MicroEmacs/proff combination may
work well for us software hackers, but as far as mere mortals (users)
go, it is totally unusable.  I have a set of ideas and some
specifications for a next-generation word processor I would like to
implement on the Amiga, but such restrictions as resources and time
(I'm a college student, I don't have my own machine, I'm poor, and I
have classes to take) get in the way.

> Spreadsheets

I don't know too much about good spreadsheets for the
Amiga...certainly there are none that will make Lotus run for cover.
VIP Planner claims to be a Lotus workalike, but if it doesn't have a
windowing interface, it doesn't rightfully deserve to be called "good
Amiga software."  Does anybody that owns VIP Planner care to comment?

> Communications

I currently use Dave Wecker's vt100 program for good terminal
emulation, and the newest Kermit for 9600 baud operation.  Both
programs could stand a little improvement in the features area, but
for $0, they're all right by me.  I have already posted my
specifications for the "perfect communications program" on the
net...I think such software is the type of program the Amiga
deserves to run.

Networking hardware/software does not exist, and the Amiga cannot
hope to be a success in the business (and even the academic) world
without good LAN capability.

> Database

I know of no database software for the Amiga comparable to DBaseIII
or its PC competition.  Someone correct me if anything besides simple
file managers now exist for the Amiga.

> Development Systems

The Amiga world has Lattice and Manx.  The Atari world has the DRI
compiler, MegaMax C, the OSS Pascal package, and a few others I
overlooked here.  More comments about developing software appear
below.

> Graphics

Deluxe Paint is a very powerful paint program (comparable at least to
Macpaint).  Does anyone have Aegis Draw?  It looks to me like a
reasonable program for producing technical illustrations.  At least
it supports multiple layers.

> Multifunction

[blowtorch on]

Personally, I think multifunction software is a crock of sh*t.  I
have used Symphony extensively on the AT, and I've come to the
conclusion that a 300+K program that tries to solve the world's
problems is the wrong way to go.  The programs are big, slow, and
take weeks to learn.  It is next to impossible to document or
*maintain* applications created under a multifunction program.  I tried
to create a personnel database in Symphony for the company I worked
for.  After weeks of phone calls to Lotus to learn how to do complex
operations not adequately docmented in the manual, and learning that
some important things I needed to do just could not be done,  I
introduced it to the personnel director.  It was a disaster, simply
because all the extraneous junk that Symphony did made it impossible
for her (a user, not a programmer) to learn to use or maintain.  I
got daily phone calls requesting help since Symphony did some crazy
brain-damaged thing that only an expert at the program could solve.
She eventually went to a dedicated database manager for her work.  It
was both more powerful and was easier to use.  Multifunction packages
are a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none.  I am glad none of
this software exists for the Amiga, and the companies who put out
such trash (Ashton-Tate, Lotus) aren't porting this stuff to the
Amiga.  They're simply a crutch in an environment that lacks
multitasking, and five dedicated packages running simultaneously on
the Amiga will blow even the best multifunction software away.  The
problem is when we will see those five dedicated packages.
[blowtorch off]

> DeskTop Publishing

> The Mac owns the low end of this market, are there any Atari or
> Amiga packages?

No.  This is another area where software developers could make a
killing if they produced something of good quality.  Start with a
PostScript driver for the Amiga, and work from there.

> It remains vital to me that I can transfer data (including graphics)
> between the applications I use.  Another key feature is the
> relatively uniform support for printed output.  By this I mean I can
> use either a dot matrix printer or a LaserWriter in either portrait or
> landscape mode from any application.

> I read too many items about applications that only run in certain
> environments on the Atari ST and Amiga for my taste.  I also do not
> see any indications that application-independent text-and-graphics
> cut-and-paste exists except on the Mac.

The Amiga provides a generic prt: device that users set from
preferences and is device-independent to application programs.  It
also has a clipboard device and a universal file transfer format
(IFF) that developers have at their disposal.  There is no reason why
software cannot exchange and output information in a uniform manner.
All it takes is a little agreement among software developers, who
should realize that if they got together and supported standards for
the machine, they would benefit from increased hardware and software
sales.  To a large degree, software developers already have these
standards...they should also apply to the user interface as well
(e.g. the right button should always activate the menu bar, etc.)

I agree that the level of support for these machines is not what it
should be.  The Amiga has all the resources necessary to provide an
environment that is friendly and as flexible as that found on the
Mac.  I also believe that it should be able to offer better
performance (Opening MacWrite from a RamDisk takes over 10 seconds
before you can do anything useful, like type) than the Mac with its
applications, especially graphics-intensive ones.  But I think it
will be a while yet before we see any of this software.

Both the Amiga and the ST were released before they were ready.  In
Atari's case, it was to try to get the jump on Commodore, establish
their machine, and squelch their competition.  In Commodore's case,
they announced their machine with beta-level software to avoid going
out of business.  Neither Atari nor C-A have produced a bug-free,
stable environment to develop and use applications.  In Atari's case,
they put their OS in ROMS without ever bothering to fix the bugs that
exist.  Kudos goes to the folks at C-A for listening to bug reports
and fixing them, but the bugs that exist in the system make it
impossible for anyone but developers to use the machine for anything
non-trivial.  It is less than fun to have the machine crash when you
have three tasks (one of them a terminal program) going on at once.
In my opinion, this instability in system software is a big reason
why wondrous packages don't exist for the Amiga.  I'm sure that
having hundreds of software developers find those bugs and report
them has speeded C-A's effort many times over anything they could
have done in-house, so maybe the tradeoff was worth it.  Time will
tell.--

| Mike Portuesi								     |
| Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department		     |
|									     |
| ARPA: mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (preferred), mp1u@td.cc.cmu.edu		     |
| UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax | decwrl}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp	     |
|									     |
| "Little things remind me of you...Cheap cologne and that damn song too!"   |
|			--The Flirts, "Jukebox"				     |

robinson@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Robinson) (08/07/86)

In article <1049@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>Networking hardware/software does not exist, and the Amiga cannot
>hope to be a success in the business (and even the academic) world
>without good LAN capability.

For what it's worth, I have seen a flyer from an apparently reputable company
advertizing not only a cheapernet (Ethernet, but with cheaper cable.  Totally
compatible with the real thing) board for the Amiga, but Internet protocol
software (telnet, ftp, etc.) and Sun NFS drivers as well.  I think that this
would qualify as adequate networking support.  I would like to see a Macintosh
even try to use a Sun fileserver.

(Yes, I am aware of the possibility that it's all vaporware, but even so, it
indicates that people out there are thinking in the right direction, and we
should expect such things Real Soon Now.)

>| Mike Portuesi
>| ARPA: mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (preferred), mp1u@td.cc.cmu.edu
>| UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax | decwrl}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp

Disclaimer:  UNIX is a trademark of Bell Laboratories
             Some assembly required
             All Thebans are liars
             The Surgeon General has determined that smoking is hazardous to
                   your health
             I was holding it for a friend
             "This has been another helpful hint for living from the commitee's
                   almanac."

Mike "programmer with a screwdriver" Robinson USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu