[net.micro.amiga] using the internal drive

baer@percival.UUCP (08/01/86)

When you boot up the Amiga and go into CLI, how can you use another disk in
df0: ?  I have already tried copying the /c directory on the Workbench disk
to the ram disk. I thought that'd do it, but if I want to copy a file from
some other disk to the one that's in df1:, I can't get it to let me put a
different disk in df0:. Am I missing something really obvious? A friend of
mine has the same problem, so I'm not the only one with this problem. I've
spent most of my time getting to the good stuff on the Amiga that I've
almost overlooked the trivial system stuff. Thanks in advance.

	-Ken Baer. (The Eternal CS Student)
	path - tektronix!reed!percival!baer
	"Unix is a great system but it can't have children."

gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (08/04/86)

In article <200@percival.UUCP>, baer@percival.UUCP writes:
> When you boot up the Amiga and go into CLI, how can you use another disk in
> df0: ?  I have already tried copying the /c directory on the Workbench disk
> to the ram disk.

The next step is to ASSIGN C: RAM: so that the system looks in the ramdisk
for those files.

	Happy hacking!
	Gary

cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (08/04/86)

> When you boot up the Amiga and go into CLI, how can you use another disk in
> df0: ?  I have already tried copying the /c directory on the Workbench disk
> to the ram disk. I thought that'd do it, but if I want to copy a file from
> some other disk to the one that's in df1:, I can't get it to let me put a
> different disk in df0:. Am I missing something really obvious? A friend of
> mine has the same problem, so I'm not the only one with this problem. I've
> spent most of my time getting to the good stuff on the Amiga that I've
> almost overlooked the trivial system stuff. Thanks in advance.
>
> 	-Ken Baer. (The Eternal CS Student)

There are a couple of ways to do this.

a) Leaving the workbench disk in df0:, at the CLI prompt type :
	1>copy source:file df1:
assuming you replace "source:" with the name of the disk that has the
file you want, AmigaDos will put up a requestor that you put "source:"
in any drive. Remove the workbench disk and put in the source disk and
the copy will complete. Note that on single drive systems the way to
do this is with command '1>copy source:file to dest:' you will be prompted
to insert the disks when they are required.
b) You can alternately type
	1>Copy ?
	FROM/K,TO/A :	<-AmigaDos "help prompt" I don't know the exact words
 Remove the workbench disk, insert your source disk and then answer the prompt
with 'df0:file to df1:' and let the copy complete.

Either way works. What I like most is that the named volume approach makes
single floppy systems practical.
--Chuck

andy@amiga.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (08/07/86)

In article <200@percival.UUCP> baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) writes:
>When you boot up the Amiga and go into CLI, how can you use another disk in
>df0: ?  I have already tried copying the /c directory on the Workbench disk
>to the ram disk. I thought that'd do it, but if I want to copy a file from
>some other disk to the one that's in df1:, I can't get it to let me put a
>different disk in df0:. Am I missing something really obvious? A friend of
>mine has the same problem, so I'm not the only one with this problem. I've
>spent most of my time getting to the good stuff on the Amiga that I've
>almost overlooked the trivial system stuff. Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>	-Ken Baer. (The Eternal CS Student)

Use the assign command after copying your C directory to ram:, ie

assign c: ram:c

AmigaDos will now look for commands in ram:c, instead of sys:c

To see all the assignments currently in use, type

assign list

Most commonly, people will reassign LIBS, DEVS, C, L, S, FONTS, and SYS
to another device or drive (like to df1: or to a hard disk) when they
want to use the other device as the system disk.

				andy

--

			andy finkel
			Commodore(Amiga)

"Remember, no matter where you grow, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonsai.