[net.micro.amiga] Amiga Sound files

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (08/02/86)

[[[-- What's my line --]]]

Hi,

First, Thanks to Carolyn at C-A for posting the nice demos about
how to manipulate IFF and ALBM files from AmigaBasic-- that sure
saved me much dogwork on a project that I had to get done fast.

Looking at the ALBM file format led me to wonder about file formats
for sounds.  Are there any standards yet?  It would be handy if the
sound format resembled the video ALBM, except contianed an FMAP
chunk instead of CMAP and an SBIT instead of ABIT chuck.

I just made that up, FMAP for "filter map" being analogous to CMAP
for "color map" and SBIT for the sound byte image being analogous
to ABIT for the bit plane data.

If anybody knows about the specs for sound files, could you post
them.  I heard that IFF countains a spec for sound, but have not
gotten my IFF docs disk yet.

Thanks,

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Roootstown, Ohio  44272  USA      (216) 325-2511

wtm@neoucom
...!allegra!neoucom!wtm

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) (08/09/86)

In article <237@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>If anybody knows about the specs for sound files, could you post
>them.  I heard that IFF countains a spec for sound, but have not
>gotten my IFF docs disk yet.

    Latest IFF docs contain specs for musical scores and sampled sounds.

    Spiral bound IFF docs with diskette containing docs, C source,
object, and executables is available from CBM.  So far, all examples
are graphics related.  For music and text, you'll have to work from
the specs and the lower level reader and writer routines.

    If anyone out there has a reasonably short example that demos
the writing or reading of IFF musical scores, sound samples, or text,
I would love to have it (as would many others).  I could add it to
future releases of the IFF disk and any other example disk we put
together.

    To order the IFF docs and disk:

    Send check for $20 made out to Commodore Business Machines TO

       CBM
       1200 Wilson Drive
       West Chester, PA.  19380
       ATTN: Bernadette Loughery / Software Tech Support

    Be sure to ask for IFF docs/disk and include your name and address.

    (We also have Expansion specs / Schematics available for $20)

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180