[net.micro.amiga] Info needed.

lel@wuphys.UUCP (08/13/86)

Dear Fellow Amigaites,

    A friend of mine on a very limited budget needs to buy a new computer.
He is considering a Tandy 1000, an Atari 520ST, an Atari 1040ST, and an
Amiga. I was able to explain the pros and cons of the Tandy and Amiga
(guess which I prefer!) but know little about the Atari systems. Could
someone out there please help me out?

Mare-see bow coo!

     butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
     balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
     take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
     analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
     tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

     Specialization is for insects."

	    --- Lazarus Long (Robert Heinlein)

   Down with insects! Up with humanity! (Lyle E. Levine)

                ihnp4!wuphys!lel
             or seismo!wucs!wuphys!lel

cbbrowne@watnot.UUCP (Christopher Browne) (08/16/86)

In article <424@wuphys.UUCP> lel@wuphys.UUCP writes:

>Dear Fellow Amigaites,
>
>    A friend of mine on a very limited budget needs to buy a new computer.
>He is considering a Tandy 1000, an Atari 520ST, an Atari 1040ST, and an
>Amiga. I was able to explain the pros and cons of the Tandy and Amiga
>(guess which I prefer!) but know little about the Atari systems. Could
>someone out there please help me out?
>
>Mare-see bow coo!

>    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
>     butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
>     balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
>     take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
>     analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
>     tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
>
>     Specialization is for insects."
>
>	    --- Lazarus Long (Robert Heinlein)

>   Down with insects! Up with humanity! (Lyle E. Levine)
>
>                ihnp4!wuphys!lel
>             or seismo!wucs!wuphys!lel
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To: lel@wuphys.UUCP
Subject: Re: Info needed.
Newsgroups: net.micro.amiga
Bcc:

In article <424@wuphys.UUCP> you write:

>Dear Fellow Amigaites,
>
>    A friend of mine on a very limited budget needs to buy a new computer.
>He is considering a Tandy 1000, an Atari 520ST, an Atari 1040ST, and an
>Amiga. I was able to explain the pros and cons of the Tandy and Amiga
>(guess which I prefer!) but know little about the Atari systems. Could
>someone out there please help me out?
>
>Mare-see bow coo!

>    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
>     butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
>     balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
>     take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
>     analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
>     tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
>
>     Specialization is for insects."
>
>	    --- Lazarus Long (Robert Heinlein)

>   Down with insects! Up with humanity! (Lyle E. Levine)
>
>                ihnp4!wuphys!lel
>             or seismo!wucs!wuphys!lel
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It might be a good idea to post on net.micro.atari16 to get ST info (if you have
and I just haven't recieved it yet, please don't flame).  I also think that you
should take what you hear from both sides with a grain of salt.  You may be
biased (just a little) towards Tandy (which is ok - I first programmed on a
Model 1 Level 2 16K - dandy version of BASIC for those days - the CoCo is neat
too, having the best 8 bit processor on the market (why not consider that?)).
The discussion on the net could get a trifle hot, if they get going (when they
originally discussed the merits of Amiga vs ST, it was amazing!).  Good luck.

Another possibility is to purchase a few of the magazines written for each of
the respective machines. If considering a $1000 purchase, $10 for some magazines
is merely change (or less).  It could help.  It certainly won't hurt.

Oh yes, another caveat.  The Amiga newsgroup will likely be more informed than
the ST group.  Commodore representatives regularly post news, which increases
the popularity.  It's easy to get information from the horse's mouth.  On the
Atari newsgroup, Neil Harris of Atari posts answers to some questions every
few weeks (but much less often the the Amiga people).  There are less developers
for the ST on this system, more for Amiga.  Just add another grain of salt to
what you hear.
--
            Christopher Browne
            University of Waterloo

	        "To do is to be."  -- Aristotle
         	"To be is to do."  -- Socrates
         	"Do be do be do."  -- Sinatra
         	"Do be a do bee."  -- Miss Sally of Romper Room fame.
        	"Yabba dabba do."  -- Fred Flintstone