[net.micro.amiga] Amiga Hack information request

andrew@cadomin.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (08/10/86)

The net hits! -- more --
You have 384 unread messages in net.jokes (of which 7 are funny).

Well, I finally got the recently posted verion of Hack up and running, but
it has a couple of problems.  First off, I think I'm missing the character
set file, as when I run it, the monsters, rooms, corridors etc. appear as
what looks like an uninitialized bitmap (lots of little dots, random colors).
Messages and the status line info come out fine, but the graphics for the
dungeon itself are garbaged.  Could some kind soul send me this file?

Note : silly me didn't save part 13, the uuencoded binary (which I heard got
corrupted anyway), and so compiled the entire thing from the source code.
I'm assuming that this is where the character set file was, as it wasn't in
parts 1-12.

The linker complained about the "at" function defined in hack.graphics.c
and hack.pri.c, so I recompiled hack.pri.c with -dGRAPHICS, which removed that
copy of the function.  This got rid of the linker error messages.  Was this
the correct thing to do?

Another thing, the program sometimes doesn't recognize console input, such
as when answering the wield weapon/quaff potion/etc prompts. What happens
is that the prompt appears, then the hack window is made inactive (the title
bar gets ghosted).  After reactivating the window, the menus and mouse still
work, but the menu selections and gadgets do not have any effect, and pounding
on the keyboard is ignored.  The only way to get out is to reboot.
Any suggestions?

Overall, though, this version of Hack looks pretty good (better than the
1.0.0 pre-release we have here!  :-)  )

Thanks in advance for any responses.

--
Andrew Folkins        ...ihnp4!alberta!andrew

"We humans think of ourselves as being rather good at reasoning, but at
best we perform about a hundred logical inferences a second.  We're
talking about future expert systems that will be doing ten million
inferences a second.  What will it be like to put a hundred years thought
in every decision?  Knowledge is power."  - Edward A. Feigenbaum

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (08/13/86)

Hack can be obtained in its full-blown splendor from
   John Toebes VIII
   235 Trillingham Lane
  Cary NC 27511
  or
   The AMIGAN apprentice and journeyman

   Box 411
   Hatteras, NC 27943
Please enclose $6 for expenses.  This version is MUCH
improved over the one that was posted - it includes graphics
for the dungeon monsters and surroundings instead of ASCII characters
and an editor to edit them with (my slight contribution).
All commands can be entered via menu picks as well as normal keyboard
entry.  C-Kermit for teh Amiga (ported by Jack Rouse) can also be
obtained from the second address (Hatteras, NC).

If you want source to HACK, you will have to be satisfied with the non-graphics
version:  John got burned by some idiots replacing his name with theirs
and distributing it as their work, so he won't release source to the graphics
version.  Source IS included on the C-Kermit disk.

danny@convex.UUCP (08/14/86)

[ your favorite anti-lineater thing here ]

I have nightmares about getting multi-module files of the Net and compiling
them (took me two hours to compile the Mandelbrot program that came with
Manx - no make utility with the "Developer" system) so I got my copy of
Hack from Fred Fish (well, Amicus because they're cheaper) and it works
fine (One disk source, one disk executable with icons).  Everything works
just great except for one thing (so far) when you say 'w-' (weild nothing)
the system crashes.  But congratulations to John Toebes for a fine porting
job.  Now, how bout 1.0.3?  Or (for the adventurous porter) larn?

Something to think about.
Dan Wallach
...!ihnp4!convex!danny

Opinion?  Where!  Shoot the little bugger.

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (08/18/86)

In article <93500022@convex>, danny@convex.UUCP writes:
> I have nightmares about getting multi-module files of the Net and compiling
> them
Here, Here... I still get complaints from my posting several months ago
> Everything works just great except for one thing (so far) when you say 'w-'
> (weild nothing) the system crashes.
Several people have complained about this bug, but I have never been able to
reproduce it.  If someone can reproduce it RELIABLY, please tell me what they
are doing (i.e. what you did before it to cause it to crash).
> But congratulations to John Toebes for a fine porting
> job.  Now, how bout 1.0.3?  Or (for the adventurous porter) larn?
Now that BLINK is out of the way and I am seeing MUCH smaller object modules
out of Lattice (up to 50% in many cases) I am starting on 1.0.3 this week.
-john

--
John A. Toebes, VIII       usenet:..mcnc!rti-sel!sas!toebes
USnail: 235 Trillingham Ln, Cary NC 27511   BBS:(919)471-6436