[net.micro.amiga] New keyboard references

rokicki@navajo.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (08/03/86)

[ Holy Intuition, Batman! ]

The keyboards on the new Amigas (at least, the seven or so I saw at the
show in Sunnyvale) have the keyboard references (those little pimples on
the keys used to place your hands) on the D and the K, rather than the F
and the J.  These are the first keyboards like this I have seen, and are
rather bizarre to a touch-typist.  Is this intentional or a major goof?

st94wb@sdcc12.UUCP (wade blomgren) (08/04/86)

In article <771@navajo.STANFORD.EDU>, rokicki@navajo.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) writes:

> keyboards on .. new Amiga...
> ... have the keyboard references (those little pimples)
> on the D and the K, rather than the F and the J.  These are the first
> keyboards like this I have seen....

I know Macintosh is a dirty word, but just for intellectual interest, the
Mac Plust keyboard also has the pimples on the D & K. Hmm.

Wade
      ...!sdcc12!st94wb
   or ...!net1!wade

mitch@amiga.UUCP (Mitchell R. Gass) (08/05/86)

>> keyboards on .. new Amiga...
>> ... have the keyboard references (those little pimples)
>> on the D and the K, rather than the F and the J.  These are the first
>> keyboards like this I have seen....
>
>I know Macintosh is a dirty word, but just for intellectual interest, the
>Mac Plust keyboard also has the pimples on the D & K. Hmm.
>
>Wade

The D and K keys are under your longest fingers.  These fingers
usually touch the keyboard first, thus you get feedback
about your hand position sooner with marks on the D and K.
You have an extra instant to decide where you are before you
type that first wrong letter.

There is also a Jovian keyboard with dots on the Z and \ keys,
but it isn't currently sold in the U.S.

Mitchell Gass
{decwrl,hplabs}!pyramid!amiga!mitch

dpz@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) (08/06/86)

> > keyboards on .. new Amiga...
> > ... have the keyboard references (those little pimples)
> > on the D and the K, rather than the F and the J.  These are the first
> > keyboards like this I have seen....
>
> I know Macintosh is a dirty word, but just for intellectual interest, the
> Mac Plust keyboard also has the pimples on the D & K. Hmm.

Also on the Apple // series, although big deal, right?

				David
--
David P. Zimmerman		"Unix RULES!!!" - anonymous

Arpa: dpz@topaz.rutgers.edu
Uucp: ...{allegra | harvard | seismo | sri-iu | ut-sally}!topaz!dpz

maj1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Major Robinson jr.) (08/09/86)

This may be a second posting for some.  Sorry.

In article <1467@amiga.amiga.UUCP> mitch@horse.UUCP (Mitchell R. Gass) writes:
>>> keyboards on .. new Amiga...
>>> ... have the keyboard references (those little pimples)
>>> on the D and the K, rather than the F and the J.  These are the first
>>> keyboards like this I have seen....
>>
>>I know Macintosh is a dirty word, but just for intellectual interest, the
>>Mac Plust keyboard also has the pimples on the D & K. Hmm.
>>
>>Wade
>
>The D and K keys are under your longest fingers.  These fingers
>usually touch the keyboard first, thus you get feedback
>about your hand position sooner with marks on the D and K.
>You have an extra instant to decide where you are before you
>type that first wrong letter.
>
>There is also a Jovian keyboard with dots on the Z and \ keys,
>but it isn't currently sold in the U.S.
>
>Mitchell Gass
>{decwrl,hplabs}!pyramid!amiga!mitch

It doesn't matter that the D and K are under your longest fingers
because those fingers are not the ones that you're trained to use as
reference.  In typing class they teach you to home your fingers by
starting at either end of your hands.  I.e., with either the A and '
keys (working inward), or the F and J keys (working outward).  Thus it
is quite natural to use the pimples on the F and J keys; especially
given that it's a natural instinct to point with the index fingers.
The pimples are at a beginning, not in the middle somewhere.  And
honestly, it doesn't speed up the time used to home the fingers
because it's still disorienting and hard to get used to when it's the
only keyboard (of all that I use) which have the pimples on the K and
D keys.

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (08/10/86)

re: new keyboard's pimples on D & K not F & J

>It doesn't matter that the D and K are under your longest fingers
>because those fingers are not the ones that you're trained to use as
>reference.  In typing class they teach you to home your fingers ...
>honestly, it doesn't speed up the time used to home the fingers
>because it's still disorienting and hard to get used to when it's the
>only keyboard (of all that I use) which have the pimples on the K and
>D keys.

i'm not trying to make a big deal out of this (i'm not a touch typist,
so the pimples don't matter to me), but the argument above sounds an
awful lot like the standard "but we never did it that way before"
applied to all innovations.

gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (08/18/86)

In article <148600121@uiucuxc>, hamilton@uiucuxc.UUCP writes about
>>this new amiga keyboard being the only one that he has ever used with
>>the pimples on the D and K keys.
>
> i'm not trying to make a big deal out of this (i'm not a touch typist,
> so the pimples don't matter to me), but the argument above sounds an
> awful lot like the standard "but we never did it that way before"
> applied to all innovations.

Jeez, there are standards, though.  How would you like it if someone
decided to switch the 'q' and 'z' keys because he didn't like their
positions...  Or to put the number keys below the alpha keys instead
of at the top of the keyboard...

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (08/18/86)

In article <2957@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) writes:
>In article <148600121@uiucuxc>, hamilton@uiucuxc.UUCP writes about
>>>this new amiga keyboard being the only one that he has ever used with
>>>the pimples on the D and K keys.
>> awful lot like the standard "but we never did it that way before"
>> applied to all innovations.
>Jeez, there are standards, though.  How would you like it if someone
>decided to switch the 'q' and 'z' keys because he didn't like their
>positions...  Or to put the number keys below the alpha keys instead
>of at the top of the keyboard...

How about a standard keyboard interface so that I can have my own
keyboard made however I like it and can plug it into any computer?
I get sick of having a different key arrangement everywhere I go.

Marnix