[net.micro.amiga] Things that break w / the 68010

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (08/18/86)

Hi group,

	I just bought a 68010-10 for $12 at a hamfest (electronics
fleamarket).  I rushed home and popped it in.  I wasn't execting
much change in apparent speed, and there wasn't noticable gain in
actual operation.

	I had a few benchmarks written in Amigabasic (ugh, right?)
that didn't show any change at all.  Sorry, but my C bechmarks are
at work- that has already been around anyway.

	I tried Dpaint, Arctic Fox, and Instant Music, the latter
from the backup disk and swapping the key.  All of them worked just
fine (so far...).  Dpaint seemed faster, but I might have just been
conning myself into thinking that.

	The thing that does break is Amiga Transformer from
Commodore themselves!  I guess that isn't too surpising as they had
to do some kludgy thinks to get A-T to work.  I'd imagine that
timing is sort of critical for the virtual 8253 emulation, etc, so
the program might have folded because of that.  Else the people
that C-A contracted didn't obey the rules and follow the edict for
upward compatibility with the 68010, 020.

	What happens with A-T is that everything starts out
normally, and then when it gets to the point where it says, "insert
DOS diskette and press return", after you press return, the machine
reboots (sans guru), and the hand holding workbench comes up.

And... now for something completely different (almost)

	While I had the cover off my Amiga, I noticed that the 8364
chip at position 4E gets disturbingly hot (true, it is in a ceramic
package).  I'm thinking about adding a stick-on heatsink, since my
Amiga is out of warranty anyway.  I'm curious which chip this is,
Denise, Paula, Agnus...?  I know that my Amiga has already blown
the Agnus twice (under warrantry, fortunately).  My RKM doesn't
equate part numbers with the names of the chips (at least as far as
I can tell).  This reminds me of the days of the C64s and problems
with the VIC-II running very hot, and the little tab stuck on the
RF shield to try to act as a heat sink.  Anybody care to comment?

Bill
NE Ohio Univs' College of Med
Rootstown, OH  44272
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

In article <256@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>	While I had the cover off my Amiga, I noticed that the 8364
>chip at position 4E gets disturbingly hot (true, it is in a ceramic
>package).  I'm thinking about adding a stick-on heatsink, since my
>Amiga is out of warranty anyway.  I'm curious which chip this is,
>Denise, Paula, Agnus...?
>
>Bill NE Ohio Univs' College of Med

This is Paula herself.  In general, chips are packaged in ceramic only
when they dissapate too much power for platic packages (or mil-spec).
The ceramic package has a much lower thermal resistance than a platic
package would.

I would do no harm to add such a heat sink, although the chip is
probably cool enough if you can leave your finger on it.

Trading off conductance == power dissipation vs. speed to optimize
yield is one of those games chip people have to play as the chip
searches for maturity.  High volume chips may go through many minor
revisons to gain incremental yield increases.

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr