[net.micro.amiga] Microbotics Hard Disk acutally ROM's

In article <15288@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> robinson@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Michael Robinson) writes:
>In article <260@pttesac.UUCP> vanam@pttesac.UUCP (-Root Admin-) writes:
>
>The way I understand it, if you place ROM's in the designated sockets
>(tucked away under the drive), the boot ROM's will recognize them and will
>not prompt you to insert the Kickstart disk.
>
>So if you were to burn some EPROM's with the WCS image (somewhat trivial)
>and plug them in, you would bypass ever having to load Kickstart.  Of course,
>you would have to repeat the process every time a new version of the operating
>system came out.

This is kind of true.  The A1000 mainboard is capable of running directly from
directly from 4 512K EPROMs.  You would not need the 'boot' proms, since the
neccessary code is included in the Kickstart Image.  You would have to toss
the kickstart 'ROM' tower, move some chips from there to the main board and do
a little PAL tweaking.

A clever person could derive all the neccessary information from the
documentation in the 'A1000 Expansion Architecture' package available from
Commodore.

Of course, the kickstart image still wants to load Workbench from the floppy,
but you're halfway home...
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

In article <15288@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> robinson@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Michael Robinson) writes:
>In article <260@pttesac.UUCP> vanam@pttesac.UUCP (-Root Admin-) writes:
>
>The way I understand it, if you place ROM's in the designated sockets
>(tucked away under the drive), the boot ROM's will recognize them and will
>not prompt you to insert the Kickstart disk.
>
>So if you were to burn some EPROM's with the WCS image (somewhat trivial)
>and plug them in, you would bypass ever having to load Kickstart.  Of course,
>you would have to repeat the process every time a new version of the operating
>system came out.

This is kind of true.  The A1000 mainboard is capable of running directly from
directly from 4 512K EPROMs.  You would not need the 'boot' proms, since the
neccessary code is included in the Kickstart Image.  You would have to toss
the kickstart 'ROM' tower, move some chips from there to the main board and do
a little PAL tweaking.

A clever person could derive all the neccessary information from the
documentation in the 'A1000 Expansion Architecture' package available from
Commodore.

Of course, the kickstart image still wants to load Workbench from the floppy,
but you're halfway home...
--
George Robbins - now working with,      uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV
Commodore, Engineering Department       fone: 215-431-9255 (only by moonlite)