[net.micro.amiga] Any reviews of Digi-View yet?

kdd@well.UUCP (Keith David Doyle) (08/04/86)

[.............]

Been seeing the ads for Digi-View by NewTek in Amigaworlds, and was
wondering if anyone out there has seen one yet.  In particular, how's
the 640x400x4 B&W mode? (that's the only one that interests me much)
Any problems?  Noise?  If you've seen the black and white hi-res shot
of the toy robot tractor, (robotrac?) is this the type of quality one
can expect?  Or what does it take to get this kind of image?  I'm assuming
one is using a B&W video camera producing a stable image, not digitizing
off a home vtr in freeze-frame, though I'd also like to know what you
can expect if you try that too if it's even possible.

Let's hear it from you golden-eyes out there.

Thanx,
Keith Doyle
ihnp4!ptsfa!well!kdd

mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (08/04/86)

(I do not believe in the

	Digi-View is certainly real, and you can buy one, now.  It
is $199 for the basic unit, plus about $150 for a camera and maybe
$60 or so for a high-quality copy stand.  That's plenty cheap for
a high-quality, high-resolution digitizer, which is what Digi-View is.
	Digi-View supports 320x200 32 colors, 320x200 HAM mode,
and 640x400 B&W.  With more memory, (512K more, I think) you can get
320x400 32 colors and HAM mode, and 640x400 16 colors.  This is a
VERY professionally-done product, and the software does a lot to help
you get good, high-quality results.  This HAM mode software (particularly
the latest revision) is stunning; you can get color images which
approach broadcast-quality video (the latest revision includes use of
image-processing software that will remove the edge effects found in
previous HAM mode images, giving you sharp, clear images which look
about as good as a true 12-bit plane image (4,096 colors!!!)).  The
B&W high resolution is equally stunning; the software does dithering
to achieve a "smooth" quality in the greyscale images.
	Digi-View works very well, and although there have been
some minor bugs in early versions of the software, these have been
fixed.  Digi-View is a professional product that can be used in
a professional video setting.  (Future versions will do video
special effects, and with expansion RAM, will do almost real-time
video animation.)  The only drawback is speed; it takes about 40 seconds
to digitize a color image; the image is stored as a 21 bit plane image,
which is then converted to be displayed on the Amiga based on adjustable
parameters (color balance, contrast, brightness, et cetera.)  A B&W
image takes about 30 seconds (for high res), and 10 seconds for low res.
				-Mitsu (mitsu@well.UUCP)
P.S. These are based on using the product at demonstrations.  I do not
own one.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (08/05/86)

The dealer near me carries DigiView.  If I remember correctly, he
is asking about $200 for it.  It is basically a ADC potted in a
blob of plastic that you golp onto the printer port.  The ADC is
pretty slow, so you need to have a still picture so that the
digitizer can grab it in multiple passes.

A low-res picture takes aobut 15 seconds per color to grab.  The
camera comes with a "filter wheel" somewhat crudely fashioned from
plexiglas (tm) squares of red-green-blue-clear.  I don't think that
the filter arrangement is real long on color accuracy.  Using
gelatin filters would have been better, but probably would not have
stood up well in the rough and tumble world of the home game
market.

A hi-res picture is b&w only, and takes about 30 sec to digitize.

The dealer had a cheap-o Panasonic survailance CCTV type camera
hooked up to the thing.  I wasn't all that taken with the quality
of the picutres we were getting.  It was really difficult to obtain
non-Andy Warhol-looking colors (I'll bet you wondered why Amiga
World chose him, now you know).  In honesty, the dealer claimed
that our difficulties were the fault of the camera not being too
good.-- I'm not so sure.

All in all, I suppose that given the price, that the product is
reasonable.

----

If the A-squared Live! lives up to what is promised, it should be a
nicer box.  I was told that Live! would retail around $450 or so.
I talked to A*A last December when they were planning to have Live!
out by this March.  They claimed that it would be able to do full
color picutres at rates up to 15 f.p.s.  Sounds like they're using
some exotic stuff, and I imagine that its going to need to hang on
the expansion buss to do DMA.  Last December, he said that they'd
consider selling a wire-wrap version for $1500, but he wasn't too
crazy about the idea.  He also mentioned that they were planning a
"professional" version of Live!, but woundn't mention details.  I
think the hold-up is FCC approval.

----

The dealer near me claims that the Genlock from C-A should be out
around Nov or DEC.  He claimed that C-A told him that the Genlock
was supposed to be out now, but had to go through a second round of
FCC approval because of some last minute engineering changes.
Apparently time base errors in chintzy-cheapo VCRs would drive it
crazy.

----

I got suckered into buying the sound digitizer from "Applied Visions."
Its going for about $150 around here-- probably too much, but then
I paid $1800 for my Amiga last October!  Not bad.  Futuresound lets
you digitize sounds from 124uS per sample and up.  You can allocate
as much memory (in chip memory) as you'd like, so you can get some
pretty long sounds: 30 sec or more.  Of course, that takes so much
memory, that you can't do much other than play it back.

The sounds you record can be stored in proprietary format
(essentially just a string of the desired bytes) or the two IFF
formats.  IFF permits a one-shot or a 3-octave note-style form.  We
fed the IFF output into "Instant Music" without any problem.  Note
that the old Musicraft files are not IFF.  I'm thinking about
writing an IFF --> Musicraft convertor.

Applied Visions were nice enough to include C examples, header
files, library, etc for playing back sounds in your own programs.
They also have AmigaBasic sources on the disk.  The main thing
lacking is a means to invoke the digitizer from one's own program.
I wanted to do some FFTs with it, and I'd like to be able to do the
whole mess in my own program.  I think they left out the input
side, to discourage cloning of their box, as the circuitry is
pretty simple.

Speaking of the box, it plugs into the printer port via a ribbon
cable, and has a pass-through port so that the printer can remain
attached.  The box itself is ~ 20 * 60 * 80 cm.  A cheap microphone
is included, as well as a line-level RCA jack.  There is a volume
control.

The digitizer control program that is included is a nice pice of
workmanship.  It allows four separate tracks of sound to be
resident in memory.  An oscilloscope like window permits the sound
to be observed.  The window can be time scaled to assist in picking
out chunks of a track for editing or saving to disk.  The software
permits some clever manipulation of the sound:
Reverse, Copy, Mix, Zero, Scale.
A very useful feature is the bar graph that indicates sound level.
It has an instantaneous level, peak indicator, and clipping
warning.  Boy- clipping really sounds bad!  With 8 bits, there
isn't any headroom, so level setting must be done with at leat a
little finesse.

So far, playing around with Futuresound has been pretty enjoyable,
and the product seems to do what it advertises.

----
Well, I guess that this is quite long enough.  I tried to stick
mainly to facts.
Bill Mayhew
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, Ohio  44272 USA
wtm@neoucom

farmer@ico.UUCP (08/05/86)

>        Digi-View is certainly real, and you can buy one, now.  It
I looked at the Digi-View, liked it a lot, and bought it.  I have played
with it quite a bit.  I can make no complaints about it except that I can't
figure out how to reload a saved image into the high res.  I have used
dpaint to look at it, and there is basicly no flicker.

Everything the previous poster said is true.  I used my dads OLD B/W camera
which tended to try to compensate for the color filters, so I had to have
Digi-View recompensate the other direction.

For those who haven't seen it, it is a *small* box that hooks up to your
parallel port with a connection for a video in signal.  I had good luck
digitizing the output of my vcr, but you can't get color without the
filters.

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (08/05/86)

> Been seeing the ads for Digi-View by NewTek in Amigaworlds, and was
> wondering if anyone out there has seen one yet.  In particular, how's
> the 640x400x4 B&W mode? (that's the only one that interests me much)
> Any problems?  Noise?  If you've seen the black and white hi-res shot
> of the toy robot tractor, (robotrac?) is this the type of quality one
> can expect?  Or what does it take to get this kind of image?  I'm assuming
> one is using a B&W video camera producing a stable image, not digitizing
> off a home vtr in freeze-frame, though I'd also like to know what you
> can expect if you try that too if it's even possible.
>
> Let's hear it from you golden-eyes out there.
>
> Thanx,
> Keith Doyle
> ihnp4!ptsfa!well!kdd

We have a digiview system setup here in West Chester, and its very nice.  We
have an old B&W camera from the lab set up in a copying stand and I've played
around with it some, though mainly using the HAM algorithms and the filter
wheel.  The digitization is very noise free, and anything without large color
jumps looks fantastic in HAM (expecially portraits).  I haven't tried the
hi-res mode, but the HAM routine appears to be just an elaboration of that.
The HAM software takes a sample through each of the three filters.  Once
captures (about 10 seconds), each sample id processed with a contrast
enhancing filter, which results in a very good looking B&W image.  When 3
of these are sampled, a HAM image can be generated and saved in IFF.  On
very contrasty images you can get better results by generating a 32 color
image instead of the HAM image.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"I don't feel safe in this world no more,
	 I don't want to die in a nuclear war,
	 I want to sail away to a distant shore
	 And live like an ape man."
				-The Kinks

	These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (08/06/86)

>Speaking of the box, it plugs into the printer port via a ribbon
>cable, and has a pass-through port so that the printer can remain
>attached.  The box itself is ~ 20 * 60 * 80 cm.  A cheap microphone
>is included, as well as a line-level RCA jack.  There is a volume
>control.

    are those 'cm's supposed to be 'mm's?  we got a demo of the
mimetics sampler at our ug meeting last nite, and it was about the
size of a pack of cigarettes.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703

billd@crash.UUCP (Bill D'Camp) (08/06/86)

[line-eater? what li

The San Diego Amiga Users Group had a demonstration of Digi-view at the
July meeting, they had several different approaches to using it.  The most
successful was in digitizing a plate from an art book, using three passes
of RGB (one pass per filter) gel filters.  The camera in use was a good
quality B/W (I forget the make), and the picture was extremely sharp.

They held the plate up next the monitor (a 25-inch Sony RGB) and it was
difficult to see any dissimilarities.  The digitizer was owned by one
of the members of the group and is definitely not in the vapor-ware
category.

				Bill D'Camp

haddock@ti-csl (08/09/86)

I *DO* believe in the line eater!  <--- notice that this one remains intact.
	>(I do not believe in the

	>	Digi-View is certainly real, and you can buy one, now.  It
	>is $199 for the basic unit, plus about $150 for a camera and maybe
	>$60 or so for a high-quality copy stand.  That's plenty cheap for
	>a high-quality, high-resolution digitizer, which is what Digi-View is.

The camera the NewTek recommends list for ~US$300.  What kind of
decent B/W camera can you get for $150?  I also have to disagree
with you on your point about high-quality and it being plenty cheap
[price].  Considering that you get this little, white, hermatically
sealed box (about 2X a matchbox; couldn't be much more than a DAC
support components) that's comes with plexiglass "filters" for the
camera (which, if you wanted good quality color should have been
photo-quality gels) which digitizes images in 10 to 20-seconds per
capture, I really couldn't call this high-quality.

	>	Digi-View supports 320x200 32 colors, 320x200 HAM mode,
	>and 640x400 B&W.  With more memory, (512K more, I think) you can get
	>320x400 32 colors and HAM mode, and 640x400 16 colors.

The manual says that more memory (>512K) will allow you to do
high-res' color although the software provided appears to be
completely unable to do this.  Check out the high-res menus -
strictly for doing black and white.

	>This is a VERY professionally-done product, and the software does a
	>lot to help you get good, high-quality results.

It *is* very professional???  It does help you get high quality
results?  Hmmmm...  Maybe I've got high standards/expectations but
you need to be reasonably informed about photography and video
picture taking to even get GOOD results from this product.
Sometimes you're lucky, depending on the image to be captured, but
then again a lot of times you're not.  Point in case, if the image
background contains a varied mix of colors then the colors produced
for the HAM mode in the subject tend to be far from true.  I've
wound up using a white sheet or something similar so that my subject
shows up in its proper colors.  I mean, that's what it's all about,
right (if you're doing color anyhow)?   I've also found the 32-color
mode to produce sharper pictures than the HAM mode.

I'm not really that sure that the software (I still have 1.0 and
have sent in my card but no updates nor notice of such) is that much
helpful other that containing gadgets to modify the picture.  One
thing that I fail to comprehend is why, when doing low-res color
pictures, the histograms are always normalized to cover the entire
range.  Also, given that the software can display the various
histograms for each of the RGB bit planes, it does not allow the
user to manipulate the histograms let alone disallowing them to be
normalized.  I would venture to guess that the picture's colors
would be truer if the histograms were not normalized.

	>video (the latest revision includes use of image-processing software
	>that will remove the edge effects found in previous HAM mode images,
	>giving you sharp, clear images which look about as good as a true
	>12-bit plane image (4,096 colors!!!)).

It sounds like I need the latest revision of the software!!!!

	>The B&W high resolution is equally stunning; the software does
	>dithering to achieve a "smooth" quality in the greyscale images.

Even with the old software I'll have to agree with you on this.

I guess when all is said and done I'd like to know what you mean by
"professional".

Another thing I feel that NewTek forgot to mention in it's 17-page
instruction booklet is the need for a reasonable amount of light.
Several of us in sunny Dallas have found that a good, photographer's
flood light works wonders for improving the image quality.

	>				-Mitsu (mitsu@well.UUCP)
	>P.S. These are based on using the product at
	>demonstrations.  I do not own one.

I have owned the Digi-View product since the local stores received
them back in May or June(?).

Don't get me wrong - I don't think that Digi-View is a terrible
product but.... I don't believe it to be as wonderful as Mitsu makes
it out to be.  If and when I get the revision of software that is
claimed to work wonders I'll amend my statements accordingly if need
be.

I'll tell you what the Amiga really needs to make use of this type
of hardware.   It needs some sort of MacWrite-style text/picture editor
that will allow me to EASILY mix both text containing a multitude of
GOOD fonts and still be capable of including graphics in the same
file.   Hey, if you know of one lemme know, please?

					-Rusty-

P.S. I wrote this reply yesterday and called NewTek about the
revision to their software today.  According to NewTek, the Version
1.1 software should be available at the end of this month.
Apparently Mitsu has a dealer with a beta-test version.  Also, to
confirm this my local dealer just got a new shipment in and they're
still shipping version 1.0.  According to the gentleman that
answered the phone in Kansas by the end of the month NewTek should
have settled on their update policy.  I was told that less than $10
should get you a new disk when it's ready.

*hardcopy*		*electr{onic, ic}*
Rusty Haddock		ARPA:  Haddock%TI-CSL@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
POB 226015 M/S 238	CSNET: Haddock@TI-CSL
Texas Instruments Inc.	USENET: {ut-sally,convex!smu,texsun}!ti-csl!haddock
Dallas, Texas 75266	VOICE: (214) 995-0330

Disclaimer:   The opinions expressed above are entirely my own
(although others may share them) and not those of my master, er...
employer.

jat@blnt1.UUCP (08/12/86)

Digi-view uses a high-resolution B&W camera -- you can not run composite
video from a VCR into it.  The pictures are pretty impressive, although
HAM mode doesn't look very good on high-contrast pictures, because it takes
three pixels to change colors.  I think the best mode is 320x200 32 color.
The pictures look great and you can play with them in DPaint.  The black
and white 640x400 is nice, but the quality is definitely NOT that of the
dozer.

My biggest gripe is the setup required -- you must digitize three separate
pictures in RGB mode (through red, green, and blue filters) and each picture
takes about 15-20s.  You must have good lighting on the source and a stable
mounting for the camera, but that is no problem for the photographer types
out there.

Now if we could get this quality in a real-time digitizer...

NOTE:	I do not own a Digi-view, and am in no way associated with the
	company.  I have just spent many hours at the local dealer playing
	with it.

John Tamplin					Blount Brothers Corporation
akgua!blnt1!jat					2511 Fairlane Drive
205/244-6231					Montgomery, AL  36116

mikel@ccvaxa.UUCP (08/13/86)

>     are those 'cm's supposed to be 'mm's?  we got a demo of the
> mimetics sampler at our ug meeting last nite, and it was about the
> size of a pack of cigarettes.

Another thing we did was to open it up and take a look.  The manufactures
took a lot of time to remove the chip numbers so we couldn't reproduce it.

UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!mikel
ARPA:	mikel@gswd-vms

wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) (08/15/86)

In the original post, I believe, the question was raised if Digi-View could
digitize an image from a VCR.  (Black&White or color)

Was this resolved?

Rob Wheeler

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (08/18/86)

Digiview can digitize any hi-quality 2:1 interlace video signal.  However,
if the signal is changing while the digitization occurs, which takes
20-25 seconds, you won't get what you want.  Thus, you must have a VCR
with a VERY GOOD still-frame option to get anything reasonable out of
digiview in that case.

In article <1151@utastro.UUCP> wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) writes:
>In the original post, I believe, the question was raised if Digi-View could
>digitize an image from a VCR.  (Black&White or color)
>
>Rob Wheeler

Probably not, or with unsatisfactory results.  The digiview requires a static
picture for B&W and a static picture scanned 3 times for color...

Perhaps a VCR with a rock-solid stop-motion would work reasonably well for a
B&W image, but I'd sure want to try it first, if this is what you want to do...

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

In article <1151@utastro.UUCP> wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) writes:
>In the original post, I believe, the question was raised if Digi-View could
>digitize an image from a VCR.  (Black&White or color)
>
>Rob Wheeler

Probably not, or with unsatisfactory results.  The digiview requires a static
picture for B&W and a static picture scanned 3 times for color...

Perhaps a VCR with a rock-solid stop-motion would work reasonably well for a
B&W image, but I'd sure want to try it first, if this is what you want to do...

--
George Robbins - now working with,      uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV
Commodore, Engineering Department       fone: 215-431-9255 (only by moonlite)

In article <148@sas.UUCP> walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
>Digiview can digitize any hi-quality 2:1 interlace video signal.  However,
>if the signal is changing while the digitization occurs, which takes
>20-25 seconds, you won't get what you want.  Thus, you must have a VCR
>with a VERY GOOD still-frame option to get anything reasonable out of
>digiview in that case.

True, but note that you can only get monochrome images this way, since the
Digiview really only understands B&W, and color is done with mirrors (oops,
i mean filters...) .  If you had a device like the GENLOCK that can decompose
composite video into analog RGB, you might be able rig something up though...
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr