[net.micro.amiga] Obscure bug in Marble Madness

jeff@jasper.UUCP (Jeff Kelley) (08/20/86)

eater, so I refuse to believe in it.

To begin with, let me say MM is a great game, with terrific graphics.
Larry Reed really did a great job.

Now for the bug.  Near the end of the third course, a section of the
pathway has waves rolling along it.  If, instead of "going with the flow",
you turn into the place where the waves are forming, are travelling fast,
and time it just right, you'll jump the gap just beyond where the waves
form, land on an earlier section of path, and bounce to your death.
Then the game stops, except for a continuous hum from the speaker.

If you do a <cntrl>-Amiga-Amiga, it comes up with a Guru Meditation
message citing software failure and #00000003.000353A8.
(Incidentally, why does this happen? I thought <cntrl>-A-A would put it
back in the state it's in just after it's been kickstarted.)

I've managed to do it 3 times.  The timing has to be just right,
so it takes me about 20 attempts before I manage to jump the gap,
but then it crashes every time.

			Jeff Kelley      ...!ihnp4!alberta!jeff (until
					    jeff@alberta.UUCP    Sept. 1)

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (08/24/86)

In article <892@jasper.UUCP>, jeff@jasper.UUCP (Jeff Kelley) writes:
> To begin with, let me say MM is a great game, with terrific graphics.
> Larry Reed really did a great job.
If only they had spent some time to get the graphics and the scrolling
right I might agree with you.  The scrolling is jumpy in many places (often
resulting in pushing you off the edge (I have been standing still when it
scrolled and without touching the mouse, fell off).  They also didn't
check all the screens (extra miscolored dot in lower left corner of Ice on
beginners wave.  Missing block of color on the goal in the intermediate wave)

> Now for the bug.  Near the end of the third course, a section of the
> pathway has waves rolling along it.  If, instead of "going with the flow",
> you turn into the place where the waves are forming, are travelling fast,
> and time it just right, you'll jump the gap just beyond where the waves
> form, land on an earlier section of path, and bounce to your death.
> Then the game stops, except for a continuous hum from the speaker.
>
> If you do a <cntrl>-Amiga-Amiga, it comes up with a Guru Meditation
> message citing software failure and #00000003.000353A8.
> (Incidentally, why does this happen? I thought <cntrl>-A-A would put it
> back in the state it's in just after it's been kickstarted.)
>
> I've managed to do it 3 times.  The timing has to be just right,
> so it takes me about 20 attempts before I manage to jump the gap,
> but then it crashes every time.
You can also crash it the same way from the Practice wave.  Make the second
jump to the left, move to where you are on the last path toward the goal,
pause at the edge and then move backward - BOOM, nice fireworks and sound.
> 			Jeff Kelley      ...!ihnp4!alberta!jeff (until

Then there is the most serious bug of all - the mouse movement.  If you move
the mouse or trackball too fast in a given direction, you will find yourself
running *VERY QUICKLY* in the *OPPOSITE* direction.  To see this, all you have
to do is go to the startup screen and move quickly to the right with the mouse.
You will see the cursor end up on the left hand side of the screen.  No it is
not a problem of picking up the mouse, it also occurs with a trackball that
looks like a joystick (trackball 1).

Then we have the problems of sprites changing colors.  In two player mode, you
and your partner can swap colors for short periods of time - but only when
you are near each other (and when it is most critical not to swap colors)
I realize this may be a sprite (or vsprite) problem, but I simply think it
was not carefully checked out.

There are other problems with the game, but these are the most pressinng.
From the lack of finishing on the game, it is obvious that they rushed it out
the door just to get the money.  I would hope that they plan to finish it and
make the updates available - but then again this is Electronic Arts - what
do they care about us....

-John Toebes
--
John A. Toebes, VIII       usenet:..mcnc!rti-sel!sas!toebes
USnail: 235 Trillingham Ln, Cary NC 27511   BBS:(919)471-6436

doc@j.cc.purdue.edu (Craig Norborg) (08/25/86)

In article <156@sas.UUCP> toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) writes:
>In article <892@jasper.UUCP>, jeff@jasper.UUCP (Jeff Kelley) writes:
>> To begin with, let me say MM is a great game, with terrific graphics.
>> Larry Reed really did a great job.
>If only they had spent some time to get the graphics and the scrolling
>right I might agree with you.  The scrolling is jumpy in many places (often
>resulting in pushing you off the edge (I have been standing still when it
>scrolled and without touching the mouse, fell off).  They also didn't

    We had a brilliant idea the other day and ran MM under V1.2B4 Kickstart
(i.e. put in the KickStart, and then the MM disk) and it runs ALOT faster
and smoother...  It is easily noticble how much smoother it is...  One
thing you also have to remember using this, is to NOT have anything over
512K on the machine...  If you have an AmegaBoard for instance, it slows
MM down a great deal...
    -Doc