[net.micro.amiga] Availability of Amiga Kermit in the PD

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (08/08/86)

Does anyone know if the the source and binary code for the Kermit Randy
Spencer aludes to will be available in the Fish Disk or AMICUS PD disk
series?  Or is Randy the only source for this code?  Is it available on CIS
or PeopleLink?

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

doc@pucc-j (Craig Norborg) (08/12/86)

In article <504@elmgate.UUCP> jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:

>Does anyone know if the the source and binary code for the Kermit Randy
>Spencer aludes to will be available in the Fish Disk or AMICUS PD disk
>series?  Or is Randy the only source for this code?  Is it available on CIS
>or PeopleLink?

    At the moment, we do have all kermit sources archive on this machine
also, besides the mod.amiga.sources archive (once again, asc.purdue.edu)
I am considering making mod.amiga.sources available on disk if there is
alot of interest out there.  If you are interested, please send me a note
via mail, and tell me what you think a fair price would be for each disk.

				    Craig Norborg (aka Doc Pierce)
				    mod.amiga.{sources|binaries} moderator
Uucp: { decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc,   sequent, uiucdcs}!pur-ee!pucc-j!doc
      { decwrl, hplabs, icase, psuvax1, siemens, ucbvax }!purdue!pucc-j!doc

USnail: 539 N. Grant Street
	W. Lafayette IN 47906

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (08/13/86)

In article <504@elmgate.UUCP>, jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:

> Does anyone know if the the source and binary code for the Kermit Randy
> Spencer aludes to will be available in the Fish Disk or AMICUS PD disk
> series?  Or is Randy the only source for this code?  Is it available on CIS
> or PeopleLink?

I don't know about the Kermit Randy is talking about, but there is a version
of C-Kermit for the Amiga which is quite reliable available from Jack Rouse of
Cary, NC.  I have used it and it is very good - I believe it is a 'full'
implementation.  Jack has done a lot of work on it getting it up and running.
Jack is on the net somewhere but I don't know his e-mail address;  I see him
daily, so mail me if you want messages passed on to him.  (Jack, you there?)

jea@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Joanne Albano) (08/15/86)

>     At the moment, we do have all kermit sources archive on this machine
> also, besides the mod.amiga.sources archive (once again, asc.purdue.edu)
> I am considering making mod.amiga.sources available on disk if there is
> alot of interest out there.  If you are interested, please send me a note
> via mail, and tell me what you think a fair price would be for each disk.
>
> 				    Craig Norborg (aka Doc Pierce)
> 				    mod.amiga.{sources|binaries} moderator
> Uucp: { decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc,   sequent, uiucdcs}!pur-ee!pucc-j!doc
>       { decwrl, hplabs, icase, psuvax1, siemens, ucbvax }!purdue!pucc-j!doc
>
> USnail: 539 N. Grant Street
> 	W. Lafayette IN 47906

Which version are you talking about? Weckers?????

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (08/15/86)

In article <143@sas.UUCP>, walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
> I don't know about the Kermit Randy is talking about, but there is a version
> of C-Kermit for the Amiga which is quite reliable available from Jack Rouse of
> Cary, NC.  I have used it and it is very good - I believe it is a 'full'
> implementation.  Jack has done a lot of work on it getting it up and running.
> Jack is on the net somewhere but I don't know his e-mail address;  I see him
> daily, so mail me if you want messages passed on to him.  (Jack, you there?)

I just want to get a hold of a full kermit implementation without sending a
disk.  If I have to downloaded, fine.  If I have to send for a disk, I that's
OK too (but I prefer the former).  I'd REALLY like the source emailed, but
that's not always practical.  Could your friend post to mod.sources?

--

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (08/18/86)

In article <509@elmgate.UUCP> jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:

>I just want to get a hold of a full kermit implementation without sending a
>disk.  If I have to downloaded, fine.  If I have to send for a disk, I that's
>OK too (but I prefer the former).  I'd REALLY like the source emailed, but
>that's not always practical.  Could your friend post to mod.sources?

Please _D_O_N_'_T_ post CKermit sources ! ! !

The sources for Amiga Kermit (CKermit) are HUGE!!! And the uuencoded
binary is 160+kbytes itself.

You'll get *lots and lots* of complaints from backbone - and other - sites
if you try to pass around *that* much stuff!!  I sent Randy a disk and got
it back within a week! And it Works!

By the way, Randy notes that the executable he sends is unpacked from the
.boo file and that he has yet to get the sources to compile using Lattice
C - I think version 3.03 but I'm not sure. So the sources may or may not
be of any use to you, anyway.

keith

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (08/19/86)

In article <509@elmgate.UUCP>, jdg@elmgate.UUCP writes:
> I just want to get a hold of a full kermit implementation without sending a
> disk.  If I have to downloaded, fine.  If I have to send for a disk, I that's
> OK too (but I prefer the former).  I'd REALLY like the source emailed, but
> that's not always practical.  Could your friend post to mod.sources?

Kermit is available from our local BBS, (919)471-6436 300/1200/2400 baud.
I'll ask him about posting (if he hasn't read your mail).

spencer@usc-oberon.UUCP (Randy) (08/24/86)

> Please _D_O_N_'_T_ post CKermit sources ! ! !
>
> The sources for Amiga Kermit (CKermit) are HUGE!!! And the uuencoded
> binary is 160+kbytes itself.
>
> By the way, Randy notes that the executable he sends is unpacked from the
> .boo file and that he has yet to get the sources to compile using Lattice
> C - I think version 3.03 but I'm not sure. So the sources may or may not
> be of any use to you, anyway.
>
> keith

Yes, and I still cannot compile the sources, but there was a new twist this
week, I downloaded the sources from Columbia again, and they are different
this time.  I guess that in my haste to get the new Kermit (which if it had
80 columns would be the best!) I got some of the sources without letting
them completely update all the necessary files. However, I still am having
problems.  If the author, or the folks at CU20B would like to comment, I
would love to start handing out the working sources.  I feel real bad be-
cause I have had people from Commodore requesting them and I am sending them
files that won't compile.  At least they are getting the working Kermit.

Now off the subject...

I was at the BADGE meeting again and had a wonderful time, and I heard this
talk about some news release that Jay Miner of Amiga had put out speaking
of new chips that had 1024x1024 graphics and could extend their address
space to 2 meg (chip memory of 2 meg).  *But*, that these were for the
new Amiga machine and that they were not retro-fit-able in the Amiga 1000.

So I go off to all my friends about how nice the *new* Amiga is going to
be and one of them says, "No, these chips will be able to be put in the
Amiga, look at the Memory Maps, see that space for 2 meg of memory.  That
is where these new chips come in.  I know, I talked to them at Comdex."

So, since I missed the release, and would love it if this guy was right,
I thought this would be the place to get the record set straight.

???  comments anyone  ???

Randal Spencer  - DEC, {amiga} Consulting -  University of Southern California
phone: (213) 743-5363  Arpa:Spencer@USC-ECL,USC-Oberon  Bitnet:Spencer@USCVAXQ
UUCP:...up to you!{{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcrdcf,scgvaxd,smeagol}!usc-oberon!spencer
New permenant address (for several years anyway): Box 4542 Berkeley CA 94704

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (08/29/86)

In article <794@usc-oberon.UUCP>, spencer@usc-oberon.UUCP (Randy) writes:
> > By the way, Randy notes that the executable he sends is unpacked from the
> > .boo file and that he has yet to get the sources to compile using Lattice
> > C - I think version 3.03 but I'm not sure. So the sources may or may not
> > be of any use to you, anyway.
> > keith
> Yes, and I still cannot compile the sources, but there was a new twist this
> week, I downloaded the sources from Columbia again, and they are different
> this time.  I guess that in my haste to get the new Kermit (which if it had
> 80 columns would be the best!) I got some of the sources without letting
> them completely update all the necessary files. However, I still am having
> problems.  If the author, or the folks at CU20B would like to comment, I
> would love to start handing out the working sources.  I feel real bad be-
> cause I have had people from Commodore requesting them and I am sending them
> files that won't compile.  At least they are getting the working Kermit.

FLAME ON!

Why in the world would people want to get the source from anyone other than the
author - Jack Rouse.  He is on the net - ...mcnc!rti-sel!sas!jjr
and has offered to send out the latest source (which do compile and have
not been munged by any intervening processes) and executable for $6.00 (the
typical going rate).

LOWER FLAME LEVEL (just above broil)

It is because of exactly what is happening here that I have stopped posting
stuff to the net and making source available.  People recompile and put their
name as the 'source' (how many times has Jack Rouse's name been mentioned on
the net as the Author of Amiga C-Kermit?) and try to get the glory for someone
elses hard work.  It is this practice that completely destroys the concept
of freeware and shareware.  As it is with Hack, I am operating at a little
below a loss for porting the program when you count the amount of time I have
spend supporting versions that were posted to BBS's (or recompiled incorrectly)
without everything necessary.  My phone number still seems to stay with it
but not always the name - so who do you think gets phone calls at 3AM to solve
these problems?

FLAME OFF

The basic concept of redistributing software must come from some basic
foundations: (Personal opinion)
  1) The redistributor is providing a general collection of products that are
     not readily available from other sources
  2) The redistributer provides additional enhancements AND documentation as
     well as some form of support.
  3) The original author is aware of the redistribution or has consented to the
     distribution - but not for profit.

Fred Fish meets all of these for Amiga Software, Columbia University meets all
of these for Kermit.

Route all flames to /dev/null
--
John A. Toebes, VIII       usenet:..mcnc!rti-sel!sas!toebes
USnail: 235 Trillingham Ln, Cary NC 27511   BBS:(919)471-6436