[net.micro.amiga] Retrofiting Amiga 1000

eric@chronon.UUCP (Eric Black) (08/29/86)

In article <794@usc-oberon.UUCP> spencer@usc-oberon.UUCP (Randy) writes:
>I was at the BADGE meeting again and had a wonderful time, and I heard this
>talk about some news release that Jay Miner of Amiga had put out speaking
>of new chips that had 1024x1024 graphics and could extend their address
>space to 2 meg (chip memory of 2 meg).  *But*, that these were for the
>new Amiga machine and that they were not retro-fit-able in the Amiga 1000.
>
>So I go off to all my friends about how nice the *new* Amiga is going to
>be and one of them says, "No, these chips will be able to be put in the
>Amiga, look at the Memory Maps, see that space for 2 meg of memory.  That
>is where these new chips come in.  I know, I talked to them at Comdex."
>
>???  comments anyone  ???

Yes, the Amiga *architecture* has that space reserved for future
members of the family.  Why should that in any way imply that the
particular Amiga 1000 model you have at home now can make use of
that space and the new chips?  Lots of things, I'm sure, will have
to be changed to use them, not the least of which is adding wires
and replacing custom chips, PALs, and such.  Don't expect to be
able to just plug those chips into your existing machine, maybe
add a few wires, and have it work!

--
Eric Black   "Garbage In, Gospel Out"
UUCP:        {sun,pyramid,hplabs,amdcad}!chronon!eric
             {sun,pyramid,hplabs,amdcad}!cti!eric
                                         ^^^