[net.micro.amiga] "Soft" Amiga Monitor

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (08/20/86)

I'm looking for a micro to purchase and the Amiga is among my choices.  I
saw one at a dealer the other day, and I really liked many of it's features,
but one thing I didn't like was the way the text appeared on the screen.
The letters weren't as crisp as I would like them, and when you are staring
at C code for hours at a time, crisp text is a necessity.  The dealer said
in his best salesmanship voice "Yes, the Amiga has a "softer" screen than
the ST, but it's really a manner of preference".  Well, I don't prefer it.
It makes what is otherwise an acceptable computer unacceptable.

Ok, now is this softness (1) The fault of the monitor or (2) The fault
of the video controller?  I'm thinking perhaps that if it's the monitor's
fault then I could buy one without a monitor and buy a better one separately.

Which is it?

	The Atari ST has a customized monitor and video interface, the Amiga
is NTSC compatible.  The best Atari monitor will be sharper than the best
amiga monitor, but a good amiga monitor works well for me, so I'm not
complaining.  I think Amiga made the right decision to go with a standard
video signal.

					-Matt

richr@pogo.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) (08/30/86)

In article <4207@ukma.UUCP> sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
>I'm looking for a micro to purchase and the Amiga is among my choices.  I
>saw one at a dealer the other day, and I really liked many of it's features,
>but one thing I didn't like was the way the text appeared on the screen.
>
>Ok, now is this softness (1) The fault of the monitor or (2) The fault
>of the video controller?  I'm thinking perhaps that if it's the monitor's
>fault then I could buy one without a monitor and buy a better one separately.
>
>Which is it?

It is the monitor's fault.  I have my Amiga connected to a Sony KV-1311CR
monitor and the text is very crisp.  The difference between these two monitors
is unbelievable!  For a real trip I hook the Amiga to my 25" Sony XBR series
monitor and pump it through my stereo with Klipsch speakers.  This is the way
Mind Walker was meant to be played.

I believe you will not find a better monitor than the Sony for the Amiga unless
it is a high persistence phosphor.  Price is ~$495 at a discount house.

Richard N. Rodgers
richr@ruby
...!tektronix!ruby!richr

--