[net.micro.amiga] Video rams etc...

dca@edison.UUCP (David Albrecht) (08/21/86)

The general consensus seems to be that while a Video Ram solution
is possible it would still require replacement of the monitor
as well as considerable hardware mods.  Bowing to the inevitable
I guess that the long persistance phosphor monitor approach is
the only realistic one (having just stripped my PC7300 down to
the nuts and bolts to find and fix a RS232 problem I've had
my fill of hardware hacking for a while anyway).

Moving on then, does anyone know anything about the Heathkit/Zenith
long-persistence phosphor monitor.  It can be had for under $800
maybe as little as $600 from mail order retailers.  This is considerably
less than the other lp monitors I've have read about and it does have
acceptable resolution.  It is also, however, a RGBI input monitor,
does anyone have any experience with it and the difficulty in converting
it to RGB (if at all possible).

On a completely different topic,  I was reading about the Sidecar in the
latest INFO and it sound really exciting.  Not that I am wow'ed about
IBM PC compatibility (though it couldn't hurt) but devices in the
sidecar are said to be accessable from the Amiga and vice versa.
Therefore a sidecar might be the cheapest way to put a hard disk
or fancy devices on the Amiga and will have IBM PC compatibility
besides.  The sidecar supposedly will let you have two PC windows
one color and one monochrome (only one active).  Rumored availability
is end of the year, rumored price possibly as little as $700.
Gosh golly Batman!

David Albrecht

In article <848@edison.UUCP> dca@edison.UUCP (David Albrecht) writes:

>Moving on then, does anyone know anything about the Heathkit/Zenith
>long-persistence phosphor monitor.  It can be had for under $800
>maybe as little as $600 from mail order retailers.  This is considerably
>less than the other lp monitors I've have read about and it does have
>acceptable resolution.  It is also, however, a RGBI input monitor,
>does anyone have any experience with it and the difficulty in converting
>it to RGB (if at all possible).
>
>David Albrecht

Well, if you figure this one out, be sure to post your findings to the net!

Usually, the analog color inputs are not very far behind the digital RGBI
inputs, often there is just a crude D/A or level shifting arrangement.
The difficulty would be in converting the monitor to composite sync, since
the sync separation circuitry will be omitted or not loaded.  However, you
could probably use the separate vertical and horizontal sync signals on
the video connector if you are careful not to overload them.  You might have
to lower the value of the pull-up or terminating resistor in the monitor.

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr