[net.micro.amiga] Bug in 1.1 Protect Command

billh@tekig4.UUCP (William Hansen) (08/25/86)

A few days ago, I was trying to make a source file read-only so that I wouldn't
clobber it. While typing in the protect command I made an error, (I forgot to
give it any parameters) and wound up with a file with protection status ____
meaning you can't read, write, execute or delete it. Oh well I said I'll just
give it a new protect command and use the right parameters this time. Wrong!
all attempts to change the protection status resulted in a "Protect Failed"
or some such message. It appears that protect has protected the file from
itself! Not only can't I access the file, but the disk now has an unusable
spot since the file can't be deleted either. (This could be a real pain on a
hard disk.) Has anyone else encountered this in 1.1, and does it still exist
in 1.2?

						Bill Hansen
						!tektronix!tekig5!tekig4!billh

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (08/27/86)

In article <897@tekig4.UUCP> billh@tekig4.UUCP (William Hansen) writes:
>or some such message. It appears that protect has protected the file from
>itself! Not only can't I access the file, but the disk now has an unusable
>spot since the file can't be deleted either. (This could be a real pain on a
>hard disk.) Has anyone else encountered this in 1.1, and does it still exist

Gee, someone could use this bug to advantage by writing a
disk error checking program that would (optionally) lock out
bad sectors.

On second thought,  that would be a bad idea.  Bugs should get
fixed, not used.  Otherwise people would complain of a bug when
the original bug got fixed. -- oh well ...

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (09/03/86)

> A few days ago, I was trying to make a source file read-only so that I wouldn't
> clobber it. While typing in the protect command I made an error, (I forgot to
> give it any parameters) and wound up with a file with protection status ____
> meaning you can't read, write, execute or delete it. Oh well I said I'll just
> give it a new protect command and use the right parameters this time. Wrong!
> all attempts to change the protection status resulted in a "Protect Failed"
> or some such message. It appears that protect has protected the file from
> itself! Not only can't I access the file, but the disk now has an unusable
> spot since the file can't be deleted either. (This could be a real pain on a
> hard disk.) Has anyone else encountered this in 1.1, and does it still exist
> in 1.2?
>
> 						Bill Hansen
> 						!tektronix!tekig5!tekig4!billh

If you have a copy of DiskSalv, run it on your disk.  It'll free up that
locked file no problem.

--
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"I gained nothing at all from Supreme Enlightenment, and
	 for that very reason it is called Supreme Enlightenment."
							-Gotama Buddha

	These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too.