[net.micro.amiga] VT-100 emulator

banks@9221.dec.com (Dawn Banks) (09/03/86)

         ttle, beat drum, swing chicken.  No line eater today!}

To the person who couldn't get the 48 line screen to work with Wecker's VT-100
emulator:

I can assure you that the 48 line screen works great.  So good, in fact, that
when I get to work, and use a REAL VT-100, or the 80286 based terminal emulator
on my desk, I feel like I've taken a large step down (as well I have).  I do
however, have a very strong guess as to what your problem is:

   While using the 48 line screen, I've tripped over numerous brain-damaged
utilities on VMS that seem to know better than my terminal what its geometry
is, despite the fact that I've told the system via "SET TERMINAL/PAGE=48" what
things really look like.  Well, maybe not numerous, but enough of them to
keep me good and busy.  These idiotic "utilities" like to reset my scrolling
region to be 24 lines long when they're done running, so that afterward, I
have an effective 24 line terminal.  Break back to the modem (local echo),
type <escape>[1;48r and everything's ok again, that is, until I run another
of those brain damaged utilities.

   I would guess that something on your system is setting your scroll region
to 24 lines.  As we can see, Wecker's VT-100 does scroll regions (unlike other
terminal emulators that you have to pay money for) quite well.  In this
particular case, perhaps, to a fault.  Maybe I'll hack my copy to have a menu
item to reset the scroll region.  If I do, I'll post changes here.

Disclaimer:

Obviously, since I said nasty things about some of my employer's product, I'm
not representing the views of said employer in any fashion.  As a matter of
fact, they'll probably try to stop me from expressing any opini

(DEC E-NET)	Viking::Banks
(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-Viking!Banks
(ARPA)		Banks%Viking.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (09/04/86)

In article <5120@decwrl.DEC.COM> banks@9221.dec.com (Dawn Banks) writes:
>to 24 lines.  As we can see, Wecker's VT-100 does scroll regions (unlike other
>terminal emulators that you have to pay money for) quite well.  In this

I'd like to add here, that Wecker's VT100 program does REVERSE INDEX
properly within a scrolling region.  Both commercial VT100 emulators
that I have tried (MaxiComm & Online!) fail to do this correctly.

In my work I often have to use a program called "browse" which lets
us scroll up and down through a text file (sort of like vi).  The program
works fine on all VT100's and almost all VT100 compatible terminals.
But the program fails to work correctly with most terminal emulators.
I was *very* happily surprised to find that Wecker's program
worked with this program.

By the way there was a VT100 compatibility tester program posted
in net.sources recently.  I couldn't get it to compile on my
SYS V unix.  If anyone has a version that works or compiles in SYS V,
I'd sure appreciate a copy.

Marnix