[net.micro.amiga] Disk Drive Alignment

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (08/24/86)

Has anyone had any (bad) experience with their drive going out of alignment?
In copying some disks (including HACK), there are two people with whom I
trade disks that seem to have problem reading disks written on my machine.
I would like to nip this problem in the bud (if indeed it is my drive) and
possible have some sort of alignment test program.  What I am looking for in
specific are two things
    1) An alignment/confidence test program for the drive.  This would require
       a disk written on a known good drive that did good verification.
       I know that there were a lot of rip-off products on the 64 that claimed
       to do this, but have never seen one I considered worth 2 cents.
    2) A RELIABLE place to get quick and correct alignments done.  I have no
       faith in the local dealer (nothing personal) for doing hardware repair.

Please EMAIL responses and I will post a summary to the net if the response
merits it.

--
John A. Toebes, VIII       usenet:..mcnc!rti-sel!sas!toebes
USnail: 235 Trillingham Ln, Cary NC 27511   BBS:(919)471-6436

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (08/26/86)

> Has anyone had any (bad) experience with their drive going out of alignment?

Yes, My drive went bad on the outer tracks. After finding out that
the local dealer's repair rates were $60/hour plus parts I decided
to replace the entire drive which cost around $100.

- Mike Gingell

ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (Amiga-Man) (08/29/86)

In article <1958@ecsvax.UUCP> mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) writes:

>> Has anyone had any (bad) experience with their drive going out of alignment?
>

>Yes, My drive went bad on the outer tracks. After finding out that
>the local dealer's repair rates were $60/hour plus parts I decided
>to replace the entire drive which cost around $100.
>
>- Mike Gingell
OK ! Where did you get the drives for $100 !!
Hackers like me are just dying to find the raw drives and wire them in.
I've been pouring over all the ads in byte and other mags. looking for
someone who sells the drives raw. At least...tell me the manufacturer
and the drive ID numbers so at least I can identify the right drive
without opening my Amiga to find out.
This information is VITAL to us students here at MIT ! We love our
amigas and are in dire need of the a cheaper expansion path.

We wait with bitted breath....

mcclure@osu-eddie.UUCP (James Edward McClure) (08/31/86)

In article <310@mit-amt.MIT.EDU>, ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (Amiga-Man) writes:
> In article <1958@ecsvax.UUCP> mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) writes:
> >>
> >> Has anyone had any (bad) experience with their drive going out of alignment?
> >

> >Yes, My drive went bad on the outer tracks. After finding out that
> >the local dealer's repair rates were $60/hour plus parts I decided
> >to replace the entire drive which cost around $100.
> >
> >- Mike Gingell
> OK ! Where did you get the drives for $100 !!
> Hackers like me are just dying to find the raw drives and wire them in.
> I've been pouring over all the ads in byte and other mags. looking for
> someone who sells the drives raw. At least...tell me the manufacturer
> and the drive ID numbers so at least I can identify the right drive
> without opening my Amiga to find out.
> This information is VITAL to us students here at MIT ! We love our
> amigas and are in dire need of the a cheaper expansion path.
>
> We wait with bitted breath....

	An article was posted here back in May about adding extra floppy
disk drives to the Amiga.  The author was Eric Black and he said he had
added drives df2: and df3:.  The drives he used were Toshiba FDD-4403AQK-02.
They can be purchased from Halted Specialties in Sunnyvale.

	Jim McClure

BTW the article number was 2780.  I can repost it if anyone would like.

eric@cti.UUCP (Eric Black) (09/05/86)

In article <2249@osu-eddie.UUCP> mcclure@osu-eddie.UUCP (James Edward McClure) writes:
>In article <310@mit-amt.MIT.EDU>, ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (Amiga-Man) writes:
>> OK ! Where did you get the drives for $100 !!
>> [...]
>> We wait with bitted breath....
                ^^^^^^  yeah, 8 per bite...
>	An article was posted here back in May about adding extra floppy
>disk drives to the Amiga.  The author was Eric Black and he said he had
>added drives df2: and df3:.  The drives he used were Toshiba FDD-4403AQK-02.
>They can be purchased from Halted Specialties in Sunnyvale.
>
>	Jim McClure
>
>BTW the article number was 2780.  I can repost it if anyone would like.

That was the article number on your particular system; "your mileage
may vary"...  I don't honestly know what the Article-ID was.  I have
it (and all other net.micro.amiga articles) archived on tape, so I can
find out, but it's long expired by now.  It is, as usual, inappropriate
to repost the entire article, perhaps even more so for anyone other than
myself to do it, but if anyone wants a copy of it, please E-MAIL
a request to me at the UUCP address below, and if a large number of
requests float in I'll repost it, otherwise mail individual copies.

I mailed a reply to the AmigaMan a while ago (dunno if he got it).
Anyway, Halted Specialties (827 E. Evelyn Ave., Sunnyvale, CA, 94086,
408-732-1573) seems to be out of that particular item (the Toshiba drive).
They are currently stocking an Epson drive, model SMD-100, which I have no
experience with, but they claim to be "Amiga compatible".  Price is $95.00.

Please note, all Amiga hackers out there, that the article I posted
about my floppy expansion had a few typos in it.  A nearly correct (one
typo so far) version is on one of the infamous "Fish Disks" (fish sticks?);
I don't know which one (it's >30, since I have all those and it's not among
them).  An IFF schematic diagram, hi-res interlaced, created with DPaint
by Thad Floryan (thad@well), is included.

--
Eric Black   "Garbage In, Gospel Out"
UUCP:        {sun,pyramid,hplabs,amdcad}!cti!eric