[net.micro.amiga] amiga termcap

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (09/04/86)

Does anybody have a real, live copy of a termcap for the Amiga
console.device that doesn't break under normal use?  I realize I'm the
n-thousandth person to ask for this, but a number of these things have
been distributed and I'm looking for the newest and best one
available.

| Mike Portuesi								     |
| Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department		     |
|									     |
| ARPA: mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (preferred), mp1u@td.cc.cmu.edu		     |
| UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax | decwrl}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp	     |
|									     |
| "Little things remind me of you...Cheap cologne and that damn song too!"   |
|			--The Flirts, "Jukebox"				     |

hull@hao.UUCP (Howard Hull) (09/06/86)

In article <1065@spice.cs.cmu.edu>, mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
> Does anybody have a real, live copy of a termcap for the Amiga
> console.device that doesn't break under normal use?  I realize I'm the
> n-thousandth person to ask for this, but a number of these things have
> been distributed and I'm looking for the newest and best one
> available.

I sent an earlier version of this to mod.amiga on July 12th, and never saw
it on the net.  I assume that either the moderator didn't like it, or the
moderator's address was not a valid path from here.  In any case, he didn't
tell me what he didn't like about it - if he ever got it...

*************************************CUT HERE**********************************

Below is a summary of elements from termcaps submitted to the net by Amiga
software developers.  The elements are organized in alphabetical order, five
columns per row, and sixteen sets of eight rows, numbered 2 to 17.  The first
row has the identifier information for each one.  An eighteenth row contains
eight termcap net article citations.  Following that is a definition of each
of the termcap entries found in these submissions.  Although anyone who really
needs a termcap surely has one by now, this article allows relative comparisons
between usages.  I should point out that there may be errors in some of the
termcap entries, in that they either attempt to use features not supported by
the Amiga CON: device, or they had not been exhaustively tested at the time
they were submitted.  Some termcaps submitted early-on were modifications of
vt100 ANSI termcaps with extensions, but these were omitted because none of
them reportedly worked very well.  The most developed are, of course, the last
two by Leo Schwab with recent dates.  Mess-ups, wherever they might occur,
should be readily detectable by cross comparison.  A "#" means that the cited
termcap element was not utilized in the termcap published by that author.

The Unix 'tset' command can and should be used on installed termcaps to preset
certain responsive terminal features such as tab and newline.  However, if you
cannot get your system administrator to install your choice of these termcaps,
they can be tested by ordinary mortals (under 4.2bsd, anyway) by creating a
local file (in any writable directory) containing a termcap entry format with
the command

	tset -I -Q -s 'ansi' > filename

and then editing filename with any editor that can hack long lines.  Use any
terminal you desire to start with in the single quoted type designation as a
model for editing.  The edited termcap may then be incorporated into the
environment at session time by the command

	source filename

Note that the two-letter designations shown below have not been cleared with
the Horton termcap committee.  As "Am" is generally recognized for many forms
of the Amiga termcap (especially implementations of the CON: device) some of
the other designations may have to be used in cases where entry of more than
one Amiga termcap is needed.  The ones shown below do not clash with anything
@hao, but you may not be so lucky.  Grep for dups so you won't gore someone
else's ox.

The body of data, with row group separators containing *'s follows:
<1              *               *               *               *            1>
A0      |       amiga   |       #       |       Amiga V1.1 ANSI !ElCom!25 X 80.
aa      |       amiga   |       #       |       Amiga ANSI !Online!    22 X 79.
Ap      |       pcix    |       amiga   |       Amiga !MaxiComm!!PCIX! 24 X 80.
am      |       amiga   |       #       |       Amigaterm!term:w/speech25 X 80.
sm      |       amiga-s |       #       |       Amigaterm!term: HACK!  25 X 80.
cm      |       amiga   |       #       |       CON: dev!V1.0 AmigaDos!23 X 77.
Am      |       amiga   |       #       |       Amiga ANSI sub:!Online!25 X 80.
ai      |       amiga-it|       #       |       Amiga italics, rep ul_ 25 X 80.
<2              *               *               *               *            2>
#               :al=\E[L        :am             #               :bl=^G        .
#               :al=\E[L        :am             #               :bl=^G        .
#               #               :am             #               #             .
#               :al=\E[L        :am             #               :bl=^G        .
#               :al=\E[L        :am             #               :bl=^G        .
#               :al=\E[L        :am             #               :bl=^G        .
:ae             :al=\E[L        :am             :as=^N          #             .
:ae             :al=\E[L        :am             :as=^N          #             .
<3              *               *               *               *            3>
#               #               :cd=\E[J        :ce=\E[K        #             .
#               #               :cd=\E[J        :ce=\E[K        #             .
:bs             :bw             :cd=\E[J        :ce=\E[K        :ch=\E[%i%2G  .
:bs             :bw             :cd=\E[J        :ce=\E[K        #             .
:bs             :bw             :cd=\E[J        :ce=\E[K        #             .
:bs             #               :cd=\E[J        :ce=\E[K        #             .
:bs             :bw             :cd=\E[J        :ce=\E[K        #             .
:bs             :bw             :cd=\E[J        :ce=\E[K        #             .
<4              *               *               *               *            4>
:cl=\E[H\E[J    :cm=\E[%i%d;%dH :co#80          #               :dc=\E[P      .
:cl=\E[H\E[J    :cm=\E[%i%d;%dH :co#79          #               :dc=\E[P      .
:cl=\Ec         :cm=\E[%i%2;%2H :co#80          #               #             .
:cl=^L          :cm=\E[%i%d;%dH :co#80          :cr=^M          :dc=\E[P      .
:cl=^L^A        :cm=\E[%i%d;%dH :co#80          :cr=^M          :dc=\E[P      .
:cl=\E[H\E[2J   :cm=\E[%i%d;%dH :co#77          :cr=^M          :dc=\E[P      .
:cl=^L          :cm=\E[%i%2;%2H :co#80          #               :dc=\E[P      .
:cl=^L          :cm=\E[%i%2;%2H :co#80          #               :dc=\E[P      .
<5              *               *               *               *            5>
:dl=\E[M        #               :do=\E[B        #               #             .
:dl=\E[M        #               :do=\E[B        #               #             .
#               #               :do=\E[B        #               #             .
:dl=\E[M        #               :do=\E[B        #               #             .
:dl=\E[M        #               :do=\E[B        #               #             .
:dl=\E[M        #               :do=^J          #               #             .
:dl=\E[M        :dm=            :do=^J          :ed=            :ei=          .
:dl=\E[M        :dm=            :do=^J          :ed=            :ei=          .
<6              *               *               *               *            6>
#               :ho=\E[H        :ic=\E[@        #               #             .
#               :ho=\E[H        :ic=\E[@        #               #             .
:eo             #               #               #               #             .
#               #               :ic=\E[@        #               #             .
#               :ho=\E[H^A      :ic=\E[@        #               #             .
#               :ho=\E[H        :ic=\E[@        #               #             .
#               :ho=\E[H        :ic=\E[@        :im=            :is=\E[20l    .
#               :ho=\E[H        :ic=\E[@        :im=            :is=\E[20l    .
<7              *               *               *               *            7>
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
:k0=\E0~        :k1=\E1~        :k2=\E2~        :k3=\E3~        :k4=\E4~      .
:k0=\E0~        :k1=\E1~        :k2=\E2~        :k3=\E3~        :k4=\E4~      .
<8              *               *               *               *            8>
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
:k5=\E5~        :k6=\E6~        :k7=\E7~        :k8=\E8~        :k9=\E9~
:k5=\E5~        :k6=\E6~        :k7=\E7~        :k8=\E8~        :k9=\E9~
<9              *               *               *               *            9>
:kb=^H          :kd=\E[B        #               #               :kl=\E[C      .
:kb=^H          :kd=\E[B        #               #               :kl=\E[C      .
:kb=\b          :kd=\E[B        :kh=\E[H        :ki=\E[@        :kl=\E[D      .
#               :kd=\EB         #               #               :kl=\ED       .
#               :kd=\EB         #               #               :kl=\ED       .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               :kd=\EB         #               #               :kl=\EC       .
#               :kd=\EB         #               #               :kl=\EC       .
<10             *               *               *               *           10>
#               #               #               :kr=\E[D        :ku=\E[A      .
#               #               #               :kr=\E[D        :ku=\E[A      .
:km=\E[G        :kp=\E[V        :kq=\E[U        :kr=\E[C        :ku=\E[A      .
#               #               #               :kr=\EC         :ku=\EA       .
#               #               #               :kr=\EC         :ku=\EA       .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               :kr=\ED         :ku=\EA       .
#               #               #               :kr=\ED         :ku=\EA       .
<11             *               *               *               *           11>
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
:kz=\E[Y        #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               :l0=F1          :l1=F2          :l2=F3          :l3=F4        .
#               :l0=F1          :l1=F2          :l2=F3          :l3=F4        .
<12             *               *               *               *           12>
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
#               #               #               #               #             .
:l4=F5          :l5=F6          :l6=F7          :l7=F8          :l8=F9
:l4=F5          :l5=F6          :l6=F7          :l7=F8          :l8=F9
<13             *               *               *               *           13>
#               :le=^H          :li#25          #               #             .
#               :le=^H          :li#22          #               #             .
#               #               :li#24          #               #             .
#               #               :li#25          #               #             .
#               #               :li#25          #               #             .
#               :le=\E[D        :li#23          :mb=\E[5m       :md=\E[1mu    .
:l9=F10         #               :li#25          #               #             .
:l9=F10         #               :li#25          #               #             .
<14             *               *               *               *           14>
#               #               #               :nd=\E[C        :nl=\E[B      .
#               #               #               :nd=\E[C        :nl=\E[B      .
#               #               :ms             :nd=\E[C        #             .
#               #               #               :nd=\E[C        :nl=\E[B      .
#               #               #               :nd=\E[C        :nl=\E[B      .
:me=\E[m        :mr=\E[7m       #               :nd=\E[C        :nl=^J        .
#               #               :ms             :nd=\E[C        #             .
#               #               :ms             :nd=\E[C        #             .
<15             *               *               *               *           15>
#               #               :se=\E[0m       #               :so=\E[7m     .
#               #               :se=\E[0m       #               :so=\E[7m     .
:pt             #               :se=\E[m        :sf=\E[S\E[B    :so=\E[7m     .
#               #               :se=\E[m        :sf=\E[S        :so=\E[7m     .
#               #               :se=\E[m        :sf=\E[S        :so=\E[7m     .
#               #               :se=\E[m        :sf=\E[S        :so=\E[7m     .
:pt             :sb=\E[T        :se=\E[m        #               :so=\E[7m     .
:pt             :sb=\E[T        :se=\E[m        #               :so=\E[7m     .
<16             *               *               *               *           16>
#               #               :up=\E[A        #               #             .
#               #               :up=\E[A        #               #             .
:sr=\E[T\E[A    :ue=\E[m        :up=\E[A        :us=\E[4m       #             .
:sr=\E[T        :ue=\E[0m       :up=\E[A        :us=\E[4m       #             .
:sr=\E[T        :ue=\E[0m       :up=\E[A        :us=\E[4m       #             .
:sr=\E[T        :ue=\E[m        :up=\E[A        :us=\E[4m       :vb=^G        .
#               :ue=\E[m        :up=^K          :us=\E[4m       #             .
#               :ue=\E[m        :up=^K          :us=\E[3m       #             .
<17             *               *               *               *           17>
#               #                                                             .
#               #                                                             .
#               :xt                                                           .
#               #                                                             .
#               #                                                             .
:xo             #                                                             .
#               #                                                             .
#               #                                                             .
<18 References  *               *               *               *           18>
P. Kivolowitz   Message-ID <495@well.UUCP> Date 16 Jan 86 14:56:46 GMT        .
S. Litvintchouk Message-ID <1929@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> Date 18 Apr 86 16:42:56 GMT.
Marco Papa      Message-ID <163@uscvax.UUCP> Date 25 Dec 85 07:36:57 GMT      .
E. Koutsofios   Message-ID <408@tilt.FUN> Date 13 Apr 86 09:34:38 GMT         .
E. Koutsofios   Message-ID <408@tilt.FUN> Date 13 Apr 86 09:34:38 GMT         .
Joe Mueller     Message-ID <529@nsc-pdc.UUCP> Date 17 Jan 86 06:13:02 GMT     .
Leo Schwab      Message-ID <1447@well.UUCP> Date: 17 Jul 86 07:07:19 GMT      .
Leo Schwab      Message-ID <1447@well.UUCP> Date: 17 Jul 86 07:07:19 GMT      .
*               *               *               *               *             *

Definitions of termcap entries included in this article (see reference below).

:ae     End alternate character set     :al     Add new blank line
:am     Auto right margin 0th col wrap  :as     Start alternate character set
:bl     Sound audible signal (bell)     :bs     %
:bw     Auto left margin last col wrap  :cd     Clear to end of display
:ce     Clear to end of line            :ch     Set cursor column
:cl     Clear screen                    :cm     Cursor motion to row#1, col#2
:co     Number of columns in a line     :cr     Carriage return
:dc     Delete character                :dl     Delete line
:dm     Enter delete mode               :do     Down one line
:ed     End delete mode                 :ei     End insert mode
:eo     Can erase overstrikes w/blank   :ho     Cursor home (if no cm avail)
:ic     Insert character                :im     Enter insert mode
:is     Terminal initialization string  :k0     Sent by function key f0
:k1     Sent by function key f1         :k2     Sent by function key f2
:k3     Sent by function key f3         :k4     Sent by function key f4
:k5     Sent by function key f5         :k6     Sent by function key f6
:k7     Sent by function key f7         :k8     Sent by function key f8
:k9     Sent by function key f9         :kb     Char sent by backspace key
:kd     Sent by term's down arrow key   :kh     Sent by term's home key
:ki     %                               :kl     Sent by term's left arrow key
:km     Metakey(shift sets parity bit)  :kp     %
:kq     %                               :kr     Sent by term's right arrow key
:ku     Sent by term's up arrow key     :kz     %
:l0     Label on funct key f0 if not f0 :l1     Label on funct key f1 if not f1
:l2     Label on funct key f2 if not f2 :l3     Label on funct key f3 if not f3
:l4     Label on funct key f4 if not f4 :l5     Label on funct key f5 if not f5
:l6     Label on funct key f6 if not f6 :l7     Label on funct key f7 if not f7
:l8     Label on funct key f8 if not f8 :l9     Label on funct key f9 if not f9
:le     Move cursor left one space      :li     Number of lines on screen/page
:mb     Turn on blinking                :md     Turn on bold(extra bright) mode
:me     Turn off attributes(exit mode)  :mr     Turn on reverse video mode
:ms     Safe to move in standout modes  :nd     Non-destructive space right
:nl     %                               :pt     %
:sb     %                               :se     Standout mode off(exit mode)
:sf     Scroll forward (text up)        :so     Standout mode on(enter mode)
:sr     Scroll reverse (text down)      :ue     Stop underscore(exit mode)
:up     Upline (cursor up)              :us     Start underscore(enter mode)
:vb     Flash screen (visible bell)     :xo     Term uses xon/xoff handshake
:xt     Tabs destructive(so char t1061)

%       Not defined in Message-ID <862@cbosgd.UUCP> >From mark@cbosgd.UUCP
	Wed, 25-Jan-84 02:17:25 MST Subject Re: adding new fields to termcap

Flames welcome if you really hated this...
						Best Regards,   Howard Hull
[If yet unproven concepts are outlawed in the range of discussion...
                   ...Then only the deranged will discuss yet unproven concepts]
	{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo} !hao!hull