[net.micro.amiga] Spreadsheet memory useage

donw@zinfandel.UUCP (Don White) (09/02/86)

** munchies and crunchies **

  I've seen two article about spreadsheets. Both of these articles directly
say or hint at 400K of runnable code.  Why aren't those programs making
extensive use of overlays?  My understanding is that overlaying is a feature
of (at least lattice) C compilers. I find it hard to beleive that a well
written spreadsheet is going to need 400K for the runnable code.

  Am I being naive?

 Don White
 Box 271177
 Concord Ca.
 94527-1177

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (09/08/86)

In article <529@zinfandel.UUCP>, donw@zinfandel.UUCP (Don White) writes:
> ** munchies and crunchies **
>
> ...  Why aren't those programs making
> extensive use of overlays?  My understanding is that overlaying is a feature
> of (at least lattice) C compilers. I find it hard to beleive that a well

Overlaying is done by the linker, not the compiler, and output from ANY
compiler/assembler/etc can be overlaid.  ALINK will not do overlays on
the Amiga, but the version in the PC cross-development system will.

We're in the process of adding overlays to BLINK, so version 6.? (or
maybe 7.?) should do them.