[net.micro.amiga] Sidecar vs SCSI controllers

kdd@well.UUCP (Keith David Doyle) (09/11/86)

>So, youse guys at Commodore Amiga, what's the deal?  Are we in the Amiga
>business, or the PC clone business.  The Sidecar is a neat hack, but if you
>were serious about selling PC alternatives (like Amigas), you'd be introducing
>products that make the Amiga a nicer machine to work on, rather than making
>it a front end for yor competitor's architecture.  In the mean time, the only
>reasonable hard disk alternatives we've seen cost as much or more than the
>Amiga does in the first place.  It wouldn't be so bad if that were the going
>rate for hard disks, but from what I've seen on the market, it's highway
>robbery.

I too, am beginning to realize that the Sidecar is not really the answer to
my prayers.  I originally thought that the Sidecar would be the cheapest
way to get a hard disk for the Amiga, (at least better than going MicroForge)
but I am no longer convinced.  I could give a sh** about PC compatibility,
I'm just interested in PC type pricing for hard disks.  While I am waiting
for a SCSI interface that DOSEN'T include disk drives or SCSI controller
I'm thinking about investigating this 2 slot Zorro chassis (was it Allegra?
I don't remember right now) and a 2 meg board in the meantime.  If someone
spots such a SCSI interface, or has kludged one at home and feels like
posting building instructions and driver source code, please let us all
know.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (09/11/86)

In article <1762@well.UUCP>, kdd@well.UUCP (Keith David Doyle) writes:
> I'm thinking about investigating this 2 slot Zorro chassis (was it Allegra?
> I don't remember right now) and a 2 meg board in the meantime.  If someone
> spots such a SCSI interface, or has kludged one at home and feels like
> posting building instructions and driver source code, please let us all
> know.

That's the Mini-Rack-B from ASDG. (201) 540 - 9670.

Perry