[net.micro.amiga] Catch-22

gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (08/28/86)

[Eat thi

I found myself in a catch-22 situation today while editing away on my Amiga.
While editing away using C/A's version of MicroEMACS I decided to spawn a
CLI to search for something.  So, a full screen sized CLI appeared on my
Workbench screen.  I tried a simple command and got an "insufficient free
store" error message.  Uh-oh.  So I tried ENDCLI.  No go.  "No problem,"
I thought, "I'll just go back to EMACS, save my files and quit."  Well,
to get to the EMACS screen, you must hit the "push behind" gadget on the
Workbench screen;  but it was obscured by the full screen CLI window.  Ok,
shrink the window.  No way.  Push the window behind.  Can't push it behind
the Workbench screen.  Drag the screen down.  Can't grab the Workbench
"drag" gadget because it is obscured by the CLI window... ARRRRRRG...

All that was left was to reboot, losing all of my files...

C/A, when are you going to put a "close" gadget on the CLI windows?  The
need to run a program to close the window was the cause of all of these
problems.

		Gary

andy@amiga.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (08/29/86)

In article <3026@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) writes:
>[Eat thi
>
>I found myself in a catch-22 situation today while editing away on my Amiga.
>While editing away using C/A's version of MicroEMACS I decided to spawn a
>CLI to search for something.  So, a full screen sized CLI appeared on my
>Workbench screen.  I tried a simple command and got an "insufficient free
>store" error message.  Uh-oh.  So I tried ENDCLI.  No go.  "No problem,"
>I thought, "I'll just go back to EMACS, save my files and quit."  Well,
>to get to the EMACS screen, you must hit the "push behind" gadget on the
>Workbench screen;  but it was obscured by the full screen CLI window.  Ok,
>shrink the window.  No way.  Push the window behind.  Can't push it behind
>the Workbench screen.  Drag the screen down.  Can't grab the Workbench
>"drag" gadget because it is obscured by the CLI window... ARRRRRRG...
>
>All that was left was to reboot, losing all of my files...

Actually, all you had to do was type
LEFT-AMIGA n     to bring the workbench screen to the front
and
LEFT-AMIGA m    to bring the workbench to the back.

In your case, the LEFT-AMIGA m  would have made your emacs
pop back to the front.

(Intro to Amiga, page 4-23)

By the way, did it make sense for the insufficient free store
message at that point ?  Was enough going on to make it seem likely ?
Did microemacs warn you at any point about "can't allocate..."

Anyone else have problems like that ?

			andy finkel

--

			andy finkel
			Commodore(Amiga)

"Remember, no matter where you grow, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonsai.

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (08/29/86)

In article <3026@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) writes:
>to get to the EMACS screen, you must hit the "push behind" gadget on the
>Workbench screen;  but it was obscured by the full screen CLI window.  Ok,

Sometimes you can get around lack of push/pull gadgets by using the
built-in screen-to-back (& -front ?) commands, Leftamiga-M / N
(I think it's these).
Gadgets in the CLI would help.  Maybe Endcli should be a builtin rather
than a disk-based command, solely to avoid the lockout problem Gary had.

*No* program should lock up the machine due to "insufficient store"!
Insufficient store is going to be happening *ALL THE TIME* due to the
blessing of multitasking.

	Charles Poirier

gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (09/06/86)

In article <1497@amiga.amiga.UUCP>, andy@amiga.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:

> >All that was left was to reboot, losing all of my files...
> >

> By the way, did it make sense for the insufficient free store
> message at that point ?  Was enough going on to make it seem likely ?
> Did microemacs warn you at any point about "can't allocate..."

Unfortunately, 512K is not really much to work with.  I had an 86K file
in RAM disk, my original CLI, MicroEmacs, and that spawned CLI active when
I reached the (seeming) point of no return.  I can't wait 'till my 1 meg
of ram arrives!

Nope, no warnings from MicroEmacs.  In fact, I have found that if I load
too many files into Micro Emacs, edit them, then save them, the last file
is sometimes truncated!!!  Thank goodness for backups.

By the way, has anyone out there daisy chained two CardCo cards for a total
of 2 megs?  They claim that it is easily and reliably done.

	Gary

richr@pogo.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) (09/12/86)

In article <3136@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) writes:
>In article <1497@amiga.amiga.UUCP>, andy@amiga.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>
>By the way, has anyone out there daisy chained two CardCo cards for a total
>of 2 megs?  They claim that it is easily and reliably done.
>
>	Gary

Yes, we do it all the time.  One crazy guy has kept four of the cards together
without problems.  He tried five, but it was not reliable.  The manufacturer
(Actually C Ltd.) reccommends that a maximum of two (2) aMEGA boards be stacked
together.

Richard N. Rodgers
Creative Microsystems Inc.
Tigard, OR 97223