[net.micro.amiga] Disk placement and poorly written programs

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike Meyer) (09/22/86)

In article <148600143@uiucuxc> hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:
>>[Listen up CBM - complaint about no place to put second drive.]
>	my second drive lives happily _on top_ of the box, to the
>right of the monitor.  it has to be rotated 90 degrees to fit there,
>but i don't mind that.

Yah, but they didn't put feet on it for that. Of course, my (small)
speakers sit there anyway.

>	even better is the "fixhunk" that came with my aMEGA.  this
>little program scans an amiga binary making a note of which hunks
>are DATA or BSS, and modifies the hunk_header size entries for those
>hunks to specify CHIP memory loading.  it would be easy to extend this
>concept to make it interactive, to allow you to use trial-and-error to
>identify exactly which data hunks _need_ to be in CHIP ram.  as-is,
>you can avoid wasting CHIP ram on code hunks.

Will this work with programs that alloc memory, and forget to ask for
the write flavor?

There shouldn't be any of those. Then again, there shouldn't be any
that have BSS segments that need to live in CHIP memory, either.

	<mike