[net.micro.amiga] Amiga problem -- Modem and Online!

macdonald@author.dec.com (At long last ...) (09/22/86)

I have a problem. Perhaps someone out there has a solution?

I am using an Amiga with a Sony 1311 Monitor, a DEC DF224 "Scholar"
modem, and the Online! V1.27 telecommunications software. When everything
is hooked up and running, there is a loud tone in the speaker of the
Sony which increases and decreases with changes in the volume control.
It appears to be an audio signal fed directly into the monitor through
the serial port somehow. When I remove power from the modem, the sound
disappears.

o  Is it a modem problem?

o  Is it a cable problem with the serial port?

o  Is it an OnLine! software problem?

Of course, turning the volume down provides a cosmetic solution, but
also causes loss of the bell.

Any ideas from netland? Thanks.

Paul MacDonald

cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) (09/23/86)

Paul MacDonald at decwrl writes :

> I have a problem. Perhaps someone out there has a solution?
>
> I am using an Amiga with a Sony 1311 Monitor, a DEC DF224 "Scholar"
> modem, and the Online! V1.27 telecommunications software. When everything
> is hooked up and running, there is a loud tone in the speaker of the
> Sony which increases and decreases with changes in the volume control.
> It appears to be an audio signal fed directly into the monitor through
> the serial port somehow. When I remove power from the modem, the sound
> disappears.

This is exactly what is happening, if you look at the serial connector
description in your Amiga  manual (the one that has the Amiga Basic
manual in it too) you will note several odd signals on the serial
connector, not the least of which are "Audio In", "+5V", and I believe
+ and - 12V. Check what your modem thinks these lines are supposed
to be. If possible replace your modem cable with one that only connects
lines 1-7 and 20. That will avoid damaging both your modem and possibly
your Amiga.

--
--Chuck McManis

In article <5469@decwrl.DEC.COM> macdonald@author.dec.com (At long last ...) writes:
>I have a problem. Perhaps someone out there has a solution?
>
>I am using an Amiga with a Sony 1311 Monitor, a DEC DF224 "Scholar"
>modem, and the Online! V1.27 telecommunications software. When everything
>is hooked up and running, there is a loud tone in the speaker of the
>Sony which increases and decreases with changes in the volume control.
>It appears to be an audio signal fed directly into the monitor through
>the serial port somehow. When I remove power from the modem, the sound
>disappears.

10 to 1 you've got a ribbon cable or 25 wire cable between your Amiga and
modem, huh?

Pins 15 and 16 of the RS232 connector have the Audio-In and Audio-Out signals
for use in voice/modem/answering machine thingies.  If some signal is connected
to these, or the wires parallel other wires, you can pick up unpleasant amounts
of noise at your speaker.

In general your cable should connect no more than pins 1-8 and 20, unless you
have some specific purpose in mind...
--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr