[net.micro.amiga] I found the answer!

macdonald@author.dec.com (At long last ...) (09/23/86)

> Newsgroups: net.micro.amiga
> Subject: Amiga problem -- Modem and Online!

> I have a problem. Perhaps someone out there has a solution?

> I am using an Amiga with a Sony 1311 Monitor, a DEC DF224 "Scholar"
> modem, and the Online! V1.27 telecommunications software. When everything
> is hooked up and running, there is a loud tone in the speaker of the
> Sony which increases and decreases with changes in the volume control.
> It appears to be an audio signal fed directly into the monitor through
> the serial port somehow. When I remove power from the modem, the sound
> disappears.

> o  Is it a modem problem?

* Definitely not.

> o  Is it a cable problem with the serial port?

* Yes, but not really a problem. Pins 15 and 16 on the Amiga serial port
* contain audio signals which are getting into the monitor via the computer.
* I fixed that by pulling out those pins. Moral of the story is, take a good
* look at the Amiga serial port pinouts before making up a modem cable!

> o  Is it an OnLine! software problem?

* Definitely not.