[net.micro.amiga] Memory speed report, RS Data System

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (09/18/86)

>[Listen up CBM - the only ergonomically bad
>thing I've found about the Amiga is that there IS NOT a good place to
>put the second drive. It HAS to be on the right side of the box, where
>it interferes with the mouse cable].
	my second drive lives happily _on top_ of the box, to the
right of the monitor.  it has to be rotated 90 degrees to fit there,
but i don't mind that.

>At the same time, they give me a
>cute little program that opens a one-gadget window, and will upon
>request allocate or free all available fast memory (not sure what it
>does if more fast memory becomes free after it thinks it's got it all.
>Haven't tried it).
>MemGrab is something that's nearly trivial, and something like
>it should come with every memory expansion, at least until everyone
>starts writing code that works with fast memory.
	even better is the "fixhunk" that came with my aMEGA.  this
little program scans an amiga binary making a note of which hunks
are DATA or BSS, and modifies the hunk_header size entries for those
hunks to specify CHIP memory loading.  it would be easy to extend this
concept to make it interactive, to allow you to use trial-and-error to
identify exactly which data hunks _need_ to be in CHIP ram.  as-is,
you can avoid wasting CHIP ram on code hunks.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton

jacobson@uiucuxe.CSO.UIUC.EDU (09/19/86)

The utilities that come with the Climited (cardco) board also have a
PD program similar to the one you describe called RamOff\On. I agree
very useful for the software that does not allocate its graphics
routines to chip ram. Also comes with a simple and comprehensive
RAM chip test. Never had to use it, but sounds like you have a nice
diagnostic program. The Climited card (the Amega) also autoconfigures
with 1.2 with no problems.

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (09/25/86)

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu writes:
>In article <148600143@uiucuxc> hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:
>>[description of "fixhunk"]
>
>Will this work with programs that alloc memory, and forget to ask for
>the write flavor?

alas, no, fixhunk won't fix such pathological programs.  you have to
resort to tying up all your fast ram before you run them.  in practice,
tho, i don't think i've run across any that are so broken.