[net.micro.amiga] Amiga IFF -> PC Conversion Request

macphed@sask.UUCP (Ian MacPhedran) (09/20/86)

I am not sure if this has been asked about before, but it is
now :-).

Is there anyone out there who is working on, or knows of, a
program to convert IFF Amiga graphics files to `IBM compatible'
graphics? One of the profs at our University wants to use his
Amiga to generate graphics, save them, and then display them on
a PC.

A utility such as this may also be useful for those with a
Sidecar.
--
Ian.

+------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| Ian MacPhedran                     | USEnet ihnp4!sask!macphed      |
| Engineering Applications           | BITNET MacPhedran@Sask         |
| Department of Computing Services   | Phone  (306) 966-4832          |
| 2B13 Engineering Bldg.             | Telex  064-2659                |
| University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N 0W0 |

cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) (09/25/86)

In article <441@sask.UUCP> Ian MacPhedran writes :

> Is there anyone out there who is working on, or knows of, a
> program to convert IFF Amiga graphics files to `IBM compatible'
> graphics? One of the profs at our University wants to use his
> Amiga to generate graphics, save them, and then display them on
> a PC.
>
> A utility such as this may also be useful for those with a
> Sidecar.

Isn't this professor setting himself up for a really big disappointment?
Anyway, in answer to this question, since there is no "standard" PC
image format there probably isn't a program such as the one you would
like. It will be easier to approach this problem by writing an IFF
display program for a PC but be aware that even the EGA cannot duplicate
the color variety and resolution of the Amiga so there will always be
a loss in the picture somewhere. (You could stick to two colors I suppose
but that might be to limiting)
Both the IFF specs and programs to display IFF images are available on
the Fish Disks that would probably be your best starting point.

--
--Chuck McManis