[net.micro.amiga] 1.2 problems

hardie@sask.UUCP (Peter Hardie ) (09/20/86)

   One of the problems that occurred in 1.1 (which I reported via the net
to commodore) is still in 1.2.  I have a hayes modem and I use one of the
many terminal emulators that were posted to the net. When I log off the
remote machine it drops carrier on the phone line and usually nothing
happens at this end. However, occassionally the act of dropping carrier
causes the amiga to crash. This also occassionally happens if someone
picks up the extension phone while I am online. Presumably there is a
wee hole in the handling of interrupts from the serial port.

   Another problem that a friend has discovered is that the manx C compiler
does not call the assembler anymore. Has anyone got a fix for this?

Pete
ihnp4!sask!hardie

higgin@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (09/25/86)

In article <440@sask.UUCP> hardie@sask.UUCP (Peter Hardie ) writes:

>   One of the problems that occurred in 1.1 (which I reported via the net
>to commodore) is still in 1.2.  I have a hayes modem and I use one of the
>many terminal emulators that were posted to the net. When I log off the
>remote machine it drops carrier on the phone line and usually nothing
>happens at this end. However, occassionally the act of dropping carrier
>causes the amiga to crash. This also occassionally happens if someone
>picks up the extension phone while I am online. Presumably there is a
>wee hole in the handling of interrupts from the serial port.

I have never had this occur to me, and I use the VT100 program off here,
and my own tiny terminal program (<4K) which doesn't use the serial device
I might add, but neither ever have any problems, and I too have a Hayes.

>   Another problem that a friend has discovered is that the manx C compiler
>does not call the assembler anymore. Has anyone got a fix for this?
>
>Pete
>ihnp4!sask!hardie

Your friend will have to wait for an updated C compiler from Manx, as the
incompatability is their fault due to the kludgy fexec() routine which
cc uses to call the assembler.  This is fixed in a forwards and backwards
compatible way in Aztec3.3.  Sorry to bring the bad news.  Word has it that
the updates will be delivered "late fall" whatever that means.

	Hope this helps,
		Paul Higginbottom.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Commodore or Manx, and my opinions are my own.

rodney@gitpyr.UUCP (RODNEY RICKS) (09/27/86)

In article <440@sask.UUCP> hardie@sask.UUCP (Peter Hardie ) writes:

>   One of the problems that occurred in 1.1 (which I reported via the net
>to commodore) is still in 1.2.  I have a hayes modem and I use one of the
>many terminal emulators that were posted to the net. When I log off the
>remote machine it drops carrier on the phone line and usually nothing
>happens at this end. However, occassionally the act of dropping carrier
>causes the amiga to crash. This also occassionally happens if someone
>picks up the extension phone while I am online. Presumably there is a
>wee hole in the handling of interrupts from the serial port.

There is a good chance that this is not really a bug in the O.S., or any of
the terminal software.  From how it sounds, this may be a problem with either
1) a cheap or bad modem or 2) a cheap or bad cable.  One of my co-workers
told me that he has seen several other computers lock up in similar situations,
including IBM PC's, Sanyo PC compatibles, and even little Commodore 64's.

We have sold many modems for use with Amigas, and no one has complained about
this particular problem, which leads me to believe it may be a problem with
your particular harware setup.

Rodney Ricks,
   (Not officially respresenting...)    The 64 Store.  Atlanta, Georgia 30339

UUCP: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!rodney
 or :                                                   !gatech!gt-oscar!rodney
Mail: 4265 Hidden Valley Dr.  College Park, Ga. 30349